• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

GaramMassala & other photos

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
Vin D'Loo
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

GaramMassala & other photos

Post by Vin D'Loo »

I found this pack of whole G M spices in one of our local "asian" food stores. It's called Pan's Asian Food ....... and it stocks just about everything for BIR curry cooking, and plenty of other stuff if you want to get into chinese/japanese / korean etc etc. The whole Dry Ginger may have to go though ........... On the strength of this find I also bought a Big Ass Kenwood Blender / Grinder that should do the job once the whole spices have been roasted. I have just prepared some pre-cooked meat, and am marinading some Chicken Tikka using my copy of the BIR curry book's recipes. This is a great book and worth every penny. The plan is to cook the currys tomorrow and have a curry night the day after.
Whole Garam Masala front
Whole Garam Masala front
GM Front.jpg (158.4 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
GM  ingredients
GM ingredients
GM rear.jpg (142.63 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Tika stage 1
Tika stage 1
Tika 1.jpg (179.98 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Tika stage 2
Tika stage 2
Tika 2.jpg (157.42 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
BIR  bible
BIR bible
BIR bible !.jpg (161.46 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Cooked meats. Chicken and lamb in one pot and beef in the other
Cooked meats. Chicken and lamb in one pot and beef in the other
Cooked meats.jpg (128 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Base, ginger/garlic purree
Base, ginger/garlic purree
Frozen Basec& GJ.jpg (99.98 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Bad boy   Kenwood blender grinder head
Bad boy Kenwood blender grinder head
H D grinding head.jpg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Kenwood blender Grinder
Kenwood blender Grinder
Blender.jpg (167.2 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Re: GaramMassala & other photos

Post by Alchemist »

Hi VDL. Firstly I love the look of your hard copy version of the ebook, it looks very professional (we must sign you up to be our publisher!)

Great set of pictures, looks like you got 'all the gear and some idea' now! Looking forward to seeing your curries etc.
seafret
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken madras, King prawn bhuna, mushroom pakoras

Post by seafret »

Looking good vin. Wish I had that blender! What's on the menu?
Free poppadoms and pickles with orders over £15. Tuesday nights only before 6pm.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Looks like you're on a mission, there, Vinda. Which main dish curries are you planning on cooking? Let us know how it goes, please (with more photos, of course) 8-)

PS: Love what you've done with your ebook! Did you do it yourself or did you pay to have it done?
CA (aka Admin) :)
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

Thanks for posting your pics, great job.

I'm envious of your blender, I buy a similar whole garam masala, it's tough work on a spice blender & I noticed a piece of plastic around the top of the blades was missing after I used it last.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

To be honest, I'd be inclined to use a spice mill, for grinding whole spices, and use your blender for blending curry base, garlic & ginger puree, etc. There's a reasonable chance that the whole spices might ruin your blender (as pauly seems to have found out!). Or is this blender designed to also grind spices?
Vin D'Loo
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Vin D'Loo »

Hi Folks

I'm cooking today so will post some fotos shortly.

Cory, its designed for heavy duty spice grinding [ Kenwood state this ] The blades can be replaced easily if required but they are super heavy duty. The only caveat in the user manual is don't run it for over 3 minutes at a time. Ha Ha ! I can't imagine a situation where one would have to do that : ) If you spend less than A$ 150 on a spice grinder you will get a 'toy', although I'm sure the top end one's do just what they are feted to do.

Alchemist, I had the e-book printed and bound 'coz I am not prepared to have my macbook pro sitting on the work top while I make a mess cooking a batch of curries ! The guy who does all my plan/drawing printing did it. Took about 15 minutes !! The quality is a reflection of the quality of the pdf file that is the books format - it's good . It cost about 35 quid tho' [ A$70 ] ..... but it was a one off. He used a very glossy paper that wipes clean easily ..........................

I am still deciding on the 'menu' but they are all coming straight from the book ! : )

I made some seasoned oil yesterday as well, which has turned out pretty good I think - details later - basically followed the method in Julian Voigt's book with some variations.
Any one else got an opinion on the the man and his work ?
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Wow, £35, I don't think we would sell many at that price! Does look a great idea though. Good luck with the cooking.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Photos of resultant curries posted here