• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

October 2018 - adeypayne's Shatkora

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Location: Fusion Indian Restaurant, Alford, Lincolnshire. LN139DS

October 2018 - adeypayne's Shatkora

Post by adeypayne »

This month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month" recipe is adeypayne's Shatkora, kindly selected by steveparadox.

Remember, the first member to try this recipe (anew) and report back, with photos, gets to select next month's recipe......CA

Recipe can be found here

:D We have this on our curried away menu, a hot and sour dish which is delicious and works well with any meat or even fish! :)
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Shatkora Recipe

Post by goncalo »

I love a shatkora curry, sadly finding fresh shatkora here isn't trivial... :)
I'm eager to try your recipe. Have you tried the shatkora pickle?
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

Same here goncalo. I am fortunate to have a veg guy on the local market here who gets Alot of his produce from London markets and when he goes he will bring me 10 back a time. They are not cheap! I then prepare the quantity I need in advance and freeze the rest. Sorry haven't tried the pickle but was told by Abdul my chef it was a strict no no! Lol. Try it and it may well work for you. Hope this helps :) A.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

I've never tried shatkora before, what's it like?
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

Hi, its a type of citrus, pretty much like a sour grapefruit and is native to Bangladesh. Very sour and sometimes even bitter, but works really well with hot curry dishes.
index.jpg
index.jpg (3.09 KiB) Viewed 26936 times
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Thanks for enlightening me, Adey. You learn something new every day!
jerrym
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by jerrym »

adeypayne, goncalo

much appreciate the discussion on the pickle. i've got diverted onto balti for the foreseeable future. i had bought a jar of satkora pickle and a spoon out the jar had put fear into my brain (saying only to be used in very small amount).

given what you say i'm going to bin the jar. i have seen the frozen and will take this route when i get back to it and will certainly give the recipe ago.

best wishes,
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

I spoke to the head chef/owner of Royal Spice in Cambridge and he told me he used 2 tsps of pran shatkora pickle. Now, I've tried his food many a times and trying to follow his advice, I didn't find the flavour I was looking for with the 2 TSPs and in fact, the shatkora pieces in the curry added for sour/bitter explosion when I bit into them - not great. I think the chef had something else going on in his curry and he is obviously not willing to share it.

I've made a chicken staff curry with frozen shatkora and I've also tasted the same recipe made by chef moike but using beef. In both cases, the flavour was always tart. Whereas, Royal Spice's chicken shatkora is a whole other story, it has a tangyness that is very savoury. It is like a lemon, but has a zing to it that isn't tart or sweet. Hard to describe, but addictive once you get into it.

If anyone is looking to buy shatkora, there is a bangladeshi company "IBCO" that makes frozen vegetables and sells frozen shatkora. I can normally source that easily here in Ireland.
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

Very interesting points there buddy. Thanks for your input. A.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garllic Chilli, Naga, Tarka Daal, Aloo Chaat
England

Post by steveparadox »

Only just seen this recipe. I'm hunting down some Shatkora so might give this recipe a go, it sounds very loaded with the lime, shatkora, mr naga and chaat massala....so it should be right up my street.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
England

Post by steveparadox »

literally JUST finished cooking this dish. It is super tasty and a real stand out dish. This is certainly a dish I will prepare again. Will try and add photos in due course.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
England

Post by steveparadox »

cooked this again tonight. Tastes absolutely lovely, packed FULL of flavour. Easily better than dishes I've had at most restaurants. I chose to use one frozen shatkora slice. I tsp extra hot chilli powder and 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
shatkora.jpg
seafret
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken madras, King prawn bhuna, mushroom pakoras

Post by seafret »

Now that looks excellent Steve. Plenty of sauce there. Delicious looking dish :thumbup:
Free poppadoms and pickles with orders over £15. Tuesday nights only before 6pm.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
England

Post by steveparadox »

Hey SF. I made it nice and saucy, just how I like it! I highly recccomend others try this recipe, it really has something different to it with the shatkora and a good amount of heat which is to my liking!
Philb52
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Philb52 »

Hi, Have only just seen this recipe which i will try later in the week. I have never been able to find a fresh Shatkora although ive been looking for them for ages. Near Burton we have a few Asian type stores which have never heard of them but i regularly go to Coventry and cant find them there either. In fact a lot of staff have never heard of them. I can buy frozen Shatkora no problem though. Ive also tried Birmingham with no luck but its a big place. This is one of my wifes favourite curries and i have improvised in the past so really look forward to trying this.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
England

Post by steveparadox »

I reccomend using the frozen shatkora wedges. They are excellent. The pickle, not so much.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Re: October 2018 - adeypayne's Shatkora Recipe

Post by Cory Ander »

This month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month" recipe is adeypayne's Shatkora, kindly selected by steveparadox.

Remember, the first member to try this recipe (anew) and report back, with photos, gets to select next month's recipe......CA

PS: This thread might be of help to those who do not know what shatkora is. Searching the forum, for "shatkora", will also throw up a few other discussion threads on the subject (together with suggested substitutes for those that can't acquire fresh shatkora). Also see "Similar Topics" below.
CA (aka Admin) :)
andrw
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo, Naga, Madras, Phall
Great Britain

Re: October 2018 - adeypayne's Shatkora

Post by andrw »

Really interesting recipe, seems to have a lot of indredients. I don’t think I have ever made a curry with so many elements. Time to find out if my local market sells fresh shatkora.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
England

Post by steveparadox »

Hi Andrw,

I have never found fresh shatkora, but the frozen shatkora is great and can be found at quite a few places. You can also get shatkora pickle but I recommend the frozen stuff. Bangladeshi curry houses use the frozen or pickled stuff rather than fresh. Cheers
andrw
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo, Naga, Madras, Phall
Great Britain

Post by andrw »

Thanks Steve, I will look into the frozen stuff and the pickle. Have not yet had the time to check my local market but will do very soon.