• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

An Introduction to BIR Curries - VOLUME II

Obtain your copy of "AN INTRODUCTION TO BRITISH INDIAN RESTAURANT CURRIES" NOW! (100% of proceeds are donated to charity!)
Admin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

An Introduction to BIR Curries - VOLUME II

Post by Admin »

Hi All,

Just to prove that we are gluttons for punishment (oh, yet another excellent idea, Alchy! :sneaky: ), Alchy and I are contemplating writing and publishing a second charity e-book along the lines of our first e-book (i.e. with all proceeds being donated to charity and with recipe contributions being selected from the forum and its members - with their permission, of course).

At this stage, we envisage that it will contain recipes which are primarily "BIR chef's specials" rather than "old BIR favourites" (which was the focus of our first e-book).

However, before deciding on the title, scope and content of "Volume II" (and, indeed, on whether or not to proceed!) we would greatly appreciate the opinions and suggestions of members on what they think should be included with respect to its scope and content?

All opinions and suggestions will be gratefully received..... 8-)

Cheers,
Administrator - BIRCurries.co.uk (aka Cory Ander)
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Re: An Introduction to BIR Curries - VOLUME II

Post by ScotchBonnet »

Title:
"British Indian Restaurant Recipes - the House Specials".

Format:
Very similar. You can still have Starters, Main dishes and Accompaniments & Side Dishes.

As to the actual recipes, well I'd include dishes that appear in some restaurants but not in all - or any from the website that have been tried, tested and commented upon (favourably) by others.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
chukitinabukit
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by chukitinabukit »

I can only offer this;
stay away from some of the more outlandish dishes / recipes that have been posted.

I'm all for specials, I think it is a good idea.
The format of the first volume seems to have been ironed out nicely. Stay with what is working well\.

The recipe selection will be the hardest part to get right I believe.
The format has already been 'cracked'.

Chukit :cool2:
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Sounds like a great idea, and all for 'charidy mate'.

House specials great, include a couple of starter/rice/bread specials too.
rik
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Bulgaria

Post by rik »

I think it's a great idea,

I do believe that over the years the BIR has evolved and changed to include more dishes, unusual and regional dishes, just google up the top Indian restaurant lists compiled by the press and check the menu's, thus many people routinely order specials rather then the old favourites.

'Chicken 65' for me is one to look at including, I remember this from The Bengal Lancer in Chiselhurst, very very nice indeed, perhaps methi lamb (gosht) if anyone has a recipe in their repertoire?

Maybe a fish dish? Fish is not commonly ordered however I have had some excellent fish curries, notably from the Cinnamon lounge in Dunchurch, in the past, and Roop Chanda (starter) from my old local BIR in Downham Market, fish makes a nice change to chicken and lamb.

Garlic chili chicken? (Blimey I'm making myself hungry just typing this), one of the latest posts features this curry and very nice it looks too! often listed as a special on menu's. Posted here as 'chili chicken bhuna', but looks more like a garlic chili chicken to me!

I agree with chukit on the more outlandish recipes, One thing I find with many cook books in general is impossibly long ingredient lists and complicated methods that immediately turn me off having a go at making it, usually as I don't have one or two ingredients or the whole process looks too much palaver.

Just my immediate thoughts.

Rik
Nicholas Parsons!
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Thanks to those who have offered their opinions and suggestions, so far 8-)

It would also be appreciated if members would also please indicate if they would (in principle) be interested in contributing to the e-book (once the content has been decided and with appropriate acknowledgement of contributors, of course)?
CA (aka Admin) :)
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Yes, in principle I would be up for that.
chukitinabukit
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by chukitinabukit »

count me in if required

Chukit :cool2:
bobelicious
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by bobelicious »

and me!
Papaz
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Sweden

Post by Papaz »

The first volume is the best curry cookbook I own so whatever you do I will buy it!

As long as the ingredient list isn't too long and the dishes can be made without special equipment within reasonable amount of time you can't go wrong.

One thing that comes to mind would included more seafood recipes if you know any good ones. Or good vegetarian recipes. At least I always eat too much meat and chicken and would like to learn more seafood and vegetarian indian dishes.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Good suggestions, please keep them coming....and thanks to those who have expressed an "in principle" willingness to contribute.... 8-)
Mistress_spock
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Mistress_spock »

I love this idea, although i have no experience with original bir curries :-), but you guys sure have good ideas and recipes. :):
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

I think keeping it close to the original in format but with new sections probably best. Start with a welcome and foreward and a brief recap of Book 1 (enough to inform those who haven't read it - and maybe make them want to read it - but not too long-winded so that someone who has Book 1 feels cheated by Book 2 simply repeating the first ten pages). Maybe something a bit like this:

Test_BIR_Menu.jpg
Test_BIR_Menu.jpg (46.57 KiB) Viewed 33082 times
Just an example, not the real thing.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Jelly Botty! Love it!

The challenge we have with the format (visually) is that to get it into Kindle format it needed simplifying, so we had to completely rewrite the entire book. This time around I'm wanting to start with a Kindle friendly format, which won't be as visually exciting.
Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
England

Post by Garam »

I have the book in kindle format and find it Excellent.So keep to the same format imho. Agree with previous comments nothing too outlandish or complicated. Also include any standard dishes missing from vol1 or variations/ improvements. Also need to be very clear whether the book will stand alone or be a follow on from volume 1. For example do you include the volume 1 base, another base or just refer to volume 1. I personally like books that stand alone but you will need to keep any repetition to a minimum so some referencing to vol1 will be required. I think CBM has got it right with his vol 1 and vol2 books.
Another thought what about a section on technique?. The biggest improvement in my own attempts came from an improving technique rather than ingredient changes.
Very happy in principle to support a vol2. Great idea.
John
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, Garam. Which "standard dishes" do you think are missing and could be included, please?

The book has a section on "technique", or did you mean something else?
Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
England

Post by Garam »

Hi CA,
Some thoughts:

Starters:
Meat and Veg Samosa
Chicken Chatt Puri
Sheek Kebab
Some prawn starters - Prawn Puri

Main:
Some Tandori Dishes
King Prawn Dishes
Balti
Vegi Main
Kahari
Chicken Masala Naga (use of Mr Naga Pickle)

Side Dishes
Brinjal Bhaji
Aloo Gobi
Sag Aloo
Sag Panier
Bhindi Bhaji
Some dips

Re technique, as you say the main process is covered in vol 1. I was thinking more of key 'hints and tips' to try and achieve the correct taste. Not in any particular order things like oil temperature, way to add base gravy, the use of little extras which can lift a curry - I am a fan of a little Mango Chutney, the importance or otherwise of seasoned oil, care not to burn garlic or spices, fast boil at the end, oil separation, use of aluminium pans, cooking from frozen (allowing meat to come to room temperature first), use of mutton, etc. Some times using exactly the same ingredients, same base, same pre cooked meat I get very differing results - its trying to figure out why !

Anyway - hope this is helpful !

BW

John
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Good stuff, thanks for those suggestions, Garam 8-)

Any other suggestions, that others may have, would also be most welcome.....
Rusty
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
Australia

Post by Rusty »

I should purchase the first book 8-)
The best day of the week to prepare onions for a base gravy is a Fryday 8-)
Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
England

Post by Garam »

Another thought - what about including a staff curry - chicken or lamb preferably :):