• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

December's Curry Club Curry of the Month is Oddbod's Slimline Dhansak (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Simple Chicken Madras

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras

Re: Simple Chicken Madras

Post by British Indian » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 am

Hi CA, I add a slice of lemon and a teaspoon of sugar, and only use 1 teaspoon of Kashmiri powder, and 1 teaspoon (heaped) of spice mix. So, yes quite a few differences......... :whistle:

(off-topic discussions on potato and seekh kebab invention moved to here - admin)

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm

So not too many differences, in fact. Yes, adding a slice of lemon is a difference. And adding Kashmiri chilli powder instead of hot (presumably because you don't really like things "madras hot"). But the recipe anyway states 1 tsp of sugar and 3 tsp (i.e. 3 LEVEL teaspoons) of spice mix (where 1 heaped tsp, to my mind, equates roughly to 3 level tsp).
Please make an effort to make at least 1 meaningful post each time you visit the forum

Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras

Post by British Indian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 pm

You are probably correct CA. Correct on the tolerance to heat, and a good heaped tsp is similar to 3 level. I cook it exactly as we cooked it on the high heat/low heat test day a couple of years ago.

johann3s
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by johann3s » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:06 pm

I have cooked this recipe 4 times now.

My findings
* I never added fenugreek, since I did not immediately find it in my supermarkets. Is that crucial for an authentic taste?
* I don't have a high tolerance for heat, so I have used much less chili powder to have the perfect heat level for myself
* If I use the quantity from the recipe I feel that there is a little bit too much oil. As can be seen in the picture the curry is quite oily. On my last attempt I reduced the amount of oil, and I personally liked the consistency somewhat better that way. Any thoughts on that? Is there anything else in the technique that I might have done wrong?
IMG_20180617_193921.jpg
Last edited by johann3s on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 am

Search the forum for topics on fenugreek and oil, johann; there are plenty of discussions on both.
Is there anything else in the technique that I might have done wrong?
Regarding what, johann? Other than the quantity of oil, what else did you not like about the resultant curry (if anything)?

PS: I've removed your photo since it appeared to be a photo of your curry base? But please feel free to upload your madras photo using the forums upload attachment function.
Please make an effort to make at least 1 meaningful post each time you visit the forum

Regards

johann3s
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by johann3s » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:53 am

I re-added the image, and I see that I still have a lot of reading to do :).

My question was because I am wondering if there is anything I could have done wrong that caused more oil separation than desired, since I followed the exact quantities in my first tries.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:38 am

Thanks for clarifying (and for uploading your photo - it looks good). Most members feel that oil separation is a good thing (there doesn't appear to be too much oil separating in your photo?). Simply spoon off any excess once you're done cooking it (if you wish to do so).

Regards

DansakDave
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by DansakDave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Finally got round to making my first BIR madras using all the info from this forum. Followed the recipe exactly and cooked realtime while watching the video which really really helped with timings etc. It was also the first time my wife was home while making a BIR and she was super impressed with how quick it all come together.
44613468472_2f4337ef5d_k.jpg
Served with plain boiled rice and the simple dahl (used wrong lentils so poor colour) but it really was a fantastic meal and it tasted very madrassy which was a pleasant surprise.
44613468112_315911dfb3_k.jpg
Cant wait to try more dishes now - going to have to be the namesake dansak next but I need to make some more base sauce first.

Thanks to Cory for the recipe and the video.

andrw
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo, Naga, Madras, Phall

Post by andrw » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Looks great Dave! Keep practicing and your curry cooking technique will become second nature... keep up the good work. :thumbup:

DansakDave
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by DansakDave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks Andrew, really looking forward to getting more dishes made thats for sure!

Bandit
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Jalfrezi, Pathia, Ceylon.

Post by Bandit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:15 am

I concur, it’s a good looking dish, very appetising and there is plenty of dishes to choose from

Good luck

Bandit

andrw
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by andrw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Thought I would give this curry a go for lunch today and it was very nice. Sometimes, simplicity is king.

CA's Simple Chicken Madras.jpg
CA's Simple Chicken Madras.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 685 times

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:18 am

Well done, DhansakDave, glad that you had great success with your first BIR-style Madras....it looks very good!....they'll be no stopping you now! :thumbup:

Regards

DansakDave
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by DansakDave » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Cheers man, appreciate the comment and the original recipe. My wife bought me a new BIR pan (well 2 actually) so I thought I would retry the madras using the new pan. It was similar to using the non stick one from my last attempt but I was able to use a metal spoon and make loads of noise so it felt a little more authentic :) I also think it helped the caramelisation around the sides but that may well have been plcebo!
44398490865_d96393a2a1_c.jpg
44398490865_d96393a2a1_c.jpg (129.17 KiB) Viewed 543 times
44588055194_408cfd9c21_c.jpg
44588055194_408cfd9c21_c.jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Starting to get into the swing of this BIR thing, looking forward to trying more of the recipes.

Bandit
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Jalfrezi, Pathia, Ceylon.

Post by Bandit » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Yep, definitely no stopping you now, just be aware that it does become addictive

Bandit :thumbup:

andrw
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by andrw » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Looks like a delicious curry Dave, well done and keep em coming. :thumbup:

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:26 am

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it and are having fun (and making plenty of noise) in the process :eatdrink6:

Regards

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”