• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Chicken Shimla Mirch

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
shoulderpet
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: karahi, vindaloo
England

Chicken Shimla Mirch

Post by shoulderpet »

Made this and was absolutely fantastic, unfortunately my phone does a lousy job of capturing the look of this curry, it is much nicer looking than the photo would suggest.

I used a recipe I found online and tweaked the ingredient quantities slightly (I made this previously so I knew what to tweak), the inclusion of mint sauce was a genius touch, so much so that I increased the amount from what was in the original recipe, it adds a little sourness to the dish but also gives an almost herbal background flavour.

Unfortunately my idea for Sweet potato bombaby aloo wasn't quite so great, if you have ever wondered what sweet potatoes taste like in a Bombay aloo the answer is that they taste like a big fat waste of time, still you cant win them all, at least the main was good
thumbnail_IMG_0405 (1).jpg
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Re: Chicken Shimla Mirch

Post by pauly »

Thanks for posting SB.

I've never tried sweet potatoes in a curry, was it just the sweet flavour that didn't work for you ?
shoulderpet
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
England

Post by shoulderpet »

It was mainly the sweet flavour that didn't work for me, the other problem is that they don't really absorb the flavour of the spices like regular potatoes do so the flavour of the sweet potatoes is front and centre with the spices playing a supporting role.
Richie
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM
United States of America

Post by Richie »

In any case, thank you for the feedback. Could you direct me to the recipe you found?

Cordially,
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Or, better still, maybe you'd be good enough to post your version of the recipe on this forum?

You might also like to compile your own recipe index? If so, please let me know and I'll create one for you.

PS: what is "shimla", please?
CA (aka Admin) :)
shoulderpet
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
England

Post by shoulderpet »

Recipe added
viewtopic.php?t=10060

I believe the name means Capsicum/Bell pepper
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Thanks for posting your recipe, shoulderpet......would you like me to create a Recipe Index for you to maintain?
CA (aka Admin) :)