• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

What to do on wet weekends

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
litldevil
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Spain

What to do on wet weekends

Post by litldevil »

It's a rare wet and chilly day in Spain today, which is a shame because it's Villazgo... the celebration of independence of our town. It's a great day out where all the local businesses showcase traditional food and wine and everyone attends and eats and drinks in a huge celebration. There are commemorative glasses and terracotta pots for all who attend. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!

However, this year I'm not feeling up to it ( recovering from illness and the weather really is pants!) so we've decided to recreate our own gastro day (only in front of a log fire and without having to get wet!) . I've looked at lots of the great ideas on this site and put together a banquet meal of Malayan chicken sauce to go with a lightly spiced biyiani. Naans, raita, onion salad and some "red gloop". I think we're going to have a great day. I'll take some photos along the way and post them later but it got me thinking, is it only me that heads to the kitchen to cook up a feast to relax, or to make myself feel better? I have many friends who think I'm bonkers because I should be sitting around doing nothing? Seriously? What do you guys cook when you're feeling under the weather or just bored? Do you have a special go to meal or just order takeout?
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Re: What to do on wet weekends

Post by Greybeard »

Just tell your friends that curry has medicinal and healing properties, and they will let you off the hook. In the GB household, if myself or Mrs GB feel a cold coming on, it is straight to the spice cupboard for a seriously hot curry. With the amount of garlic I cram in, it generally tends to work (with a fallback plan of some brandy if need be).

Comfort food is good for the soul, and the "Jewish mother" BIR equivalent of chicken soup for me is some hot Dhal with maybe some bread or rice, depending on my mood. Maybe it is just the placebo effect, but traditionally some curry spices do seem to have healing properties e.g. Turmeric, Cardamom, Garlic etc.

All I know was that Mrs GB requested an extra hot curry when our daughter decided to overstay her welcome somewhat, just the verbal suggestion seemed to be enough and shortly afterwards we were en-route to the delivery suite :lol::
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
litldevil
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Spain

Post by litldevil »

It was delicious, well worth taking the time. Husband has a big birthday coming up soon so I think it has to go on the list :) :yahoo: :yahoo: Added some bombay spud for good measure too.
Attachments
biryani-for-web.gif
Marktheshark
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Keema bhuna, vindaloo, Madras
England

Post by Marktheshark »

Great looking spread there litldevil, I love to cook, strangely enough i reach for the pan and base gravy when I'm feeling stressed, it really relaxes me, plus the end result is tasty (hopefully)
JalfreziT
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Finland

Post by JalfreziT »

Looks fantastic Litldevil! Your guests have a great friend!
They've been cooking on Blue Peter, now they're sampling the dishes,
I don't normally like tomatoes John but this is delicious.
rdu
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Pistanda, Kashmir, Korma, Dopiaza
Netherlands

Post by rdu »

Looking good and tastefull.
Damocles
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Damocles »

Looks fabulous, hope you're feeling better.

Return to “Photos”