• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Tonight's chicken korma

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Tonight's chicken korma

Post by goncalo »

Today I was feeling like enjoying the curry rather than the cooking, so I settled for the quick and sweet option.
Chicken Korma
Chicken Korma
HEJQWrCl.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal
Slovakia

Re: Tonight's chicken korma

Post by Westy »

That's a nice looking Korma Goncalo ... would you please post the recipe when you get a chance ... thanks !! :)
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Looking good Gonlcalo 8-)

My opinion seems to differ from most; I think a pukka BIR Korma is one the more difficult BIR curries to replicate.
CA (aka Admin) :)
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

I am not sure what your favorite korma is CA, but one thing I saw that improved my korma's texture was the use of "cooking cream", however, I rate mine better than BIRs.

Westy, I use a mix of CA and Julian's method, but I don't follow exactly, I taste a lot as I go ;-)
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

goncalo wrote:Westy, I use a mix of CA and Julian's method, but I don't follow exactly, I taste a lot as I go ;-)
Would you be kind please goncalo and next time you prepare this as your tasting a lot could you also jot down a lot too ;) I do like the look of yours .. the consistency looks right to me and I've always struggled with my korma being too runny so any tips would be gratefully received. 8-)
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Westy wrote:I've always struggled with my korma being too runny so any tips would be gratefully received
You can always thicken it with coconut flour/powder, coconut milk powder, fine dessicated coconut, almond powder, etc (whichever it is that you prefer to use)?
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Cory Ander wrote:You can always thicken it with coconut flour/powder, coconut milk powder, fine dessicated coconut, almond powder, etc (whichever it is that you prefer to use)?
This should be interesting Cory since it's your ( more complex ) korma that I cook ;) :D

I scaled your recipe ( posted elsewhere ) up for 500ml of base by dividing all by 3 and multiplying by 5 so already I add 10 Tblsp of Maggi coconut milk powder ( your preferred choice I believe ) 5 Tblsp of sugar and 2-3 Tblsp of Almond powder which I thought would be enough to 'hold' the sauce but it always turns out too runny for my liking and compared to BIR. It could also be my technique which is at fault since I don't cook 'sweet' curries too often ... whatever it is I would like to get to the bottom of it so I can produce a decent korma when required .. hence my request for some insight into goncalo's method which has produced a pleasing looking sauce to my mind. 8-)
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

I suggest you also try giving it a bit of "welli", on high heat, then (to evaporate the liquid content)....

(Coconut flour/powder will thicken it more than coconut milk powder...so you might want to try adding some of that?)
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Thanks for the suggestions Cory 8-)

I'll try both next time .. I must admit to being apprehensive with the 'welli' because I'm worried the cream will split ... maybe more 'welli' before the additiion of cream will be the answer .. I'll let you know ;)
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

My last attempt I used a mix of creamed coconut block (the essential coconut flavor and creamy) and about a 2 tbsp of coconut flour and 2 tbsp of almond powder (not coconut milk powder). This made the curry a bit thicker, then I broke it down with a few splodges of avonmore cooking cream.