• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

First full-on meal after shopping trip

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
Waterdiddy
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

First full-on meal after shopping trip

Post by Waterdiddy »

Hi All!

Went shopping on Friday, like I said and spent a good deal getting all the stuff I needed for now, to tide me over until I get my burner down from the in-laws, along with the yoghurt maker and a few other things.

Here's the haul
IMG_6542.jpg
IMG_6542.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
IMG_6545.jpg
IMG_6545.jpg (82.12 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
IMG_6546.jpg
IMG_6546.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
IMG_6547.jpg
IMG_6547.jpg (77.47 KiB) Viewed 10687 times

I got a pan, a spoon and ladle, a tawa, chappati fluffer, a load of spices, herbs, dhals, flours, oils and pastes, along with some nice mutton and some lovely chicken from the in-store butcher :) I have been saving like mad for the day and didn't hold back.

So today, after unpacking, repacking and generally faffing quite a bit, the time came to do something with it all and the girls democratically decided on Garlic Coconut Chicken, Samosas, Onion Bhajis and Chappatis, along with Pilau Rice.

The first job was the samosa filling and for that I used a bit of chicken I had left in the berth we call the fridge. I also had a bit of minced beef left so it went in too. With the meat, I put some carrot, potato, sweet red pepper and mango.All this was then spiced, fried and left to cool while I did the pastry.

Once the pastry was done, it was then on to chappati dough, which was also left to do its thing for a few hours. I used Chris' (H4ppyleaders) recipe from his amazing Chappti 101 video - so easy and worked like a dream - thanks Chris :thumbup:

Then I made the onion bhaji mix, which was CBM's vol 1 OB's and made the only blunder of the day :blush: I left the mix too long and it got REALLY wet! I added more flour to try and dry it up a bit, but in the end, it was a bust. The taste was pretty damned good, but it woulld be weaker than normal and the texture would also be better - lessons learned for next time! :D However, though I had to spoon it into the hot oil, when it had had fove minutes, I removed the bhajis from the pan and then cut them into bite-size pieces, so they became bhaji-bites. Nice enough, though not what they could have been.

Then it was on to pre-cooking the chicken pieces for the main dish. This went well, using CBM's Vol 2 recipe for the pre-cooking. Very VERY nice it is too, Mick :mrgreen:

After all this and washing up FIVE TIMES - you must clean as you go on the boat, or you very quickly get swamped with dirty pans, plates, bowls and so on.

I sat and had a nice coffee and chilled for a little before the final job which was to cook the curry!

All went smoothly, as I had preset all the stuff in order, in the little stainless shotglasses I showed on another thread.

So, we ended up with something eminently edible, tasty and above all - completely home-made. My chappatis, or rather - Chris' recipe went down a storm and when everyone watched them puff up with steam, it was a golden moment for me :lol:
IMG_6556.jpg
IMG_6556.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
IMG_6558.jpg
IMG_6558.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
IMG_6559.jpg
IMG_6559.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
IMG_6561.jpg
IMG_6561.jpg (71.62 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
It was a little on the oily side, but personally, I like this, as it give my chappatis something to saok up and get all fluffy for :D Obviously, those who are careful with oils or dont like it can remove before serving.

Overall, I am very pleased with the equipment, the ingredients, the recipes and the tastes. I have a few things to tighten up and make sure I learn, but I am pleased with what I achieved in the time and space I have available.
IMG_6563.jpg
IMG_6563.jpg (88.73 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
IMG_6564.jpg
IMG_6564.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
Hope you enjoyed this, recipes that I can share will be added when I can.

Bests,

Pete
Last edited by Waterdiddy on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad-Raz
SERRANO
SERRANO

Re: First full-on meal after shopping trip

Post by Mad-Raz »

Food looks amazing pete,But a bit worried about the body in the last picture,was that before or after..
Waterdiddy
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Waterdiddy »

HA HA! - that's my six year old! - she's built like a racing snake, dude! - I can fire food at her face all day and she still stays skinny as feck! :laugh:

Pete
Geezah
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Geezah »

Lovely looking spread there, and cooked in a boat kitchen... you deserve a medal.
I had a static caravan for a number of years and know what its like to cook with limited kitchen resource.

Well done dude!

Also.... once we are well in to spring, get some of those fenugreek seeds planted out on a boat roof garden and harvest your own kasoori methi
Natterjak
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by Natterjak »

Sterling effort there, you must be knackered! All looks spot on so hats off to you :cap:
"Don't burn the spices" is the most dangerous truism of all - because it's incomplete. It should be "Don't burn the spices but do cook them!"
You'll never make BIR if you're too cautious frying your spices.....
Waterdiddy
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Waterdiddy »

Thanks for the comments, peeps!

It is a little tough, but only from the need to work clean and tidy, washing-up as you go. It does teach good habits I guess ;)

Thanks for looking in!

Pete
ziggycat
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by ziggycat »

that looks superb pete, well done fella .. sterling effort !!

All of it looks the buisness, but I'm really impressed with your samosas. I still faff around with filo myself and must try making my own dough next time, looks like you've nailed it though.
uclown2002
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by uclown2002 »

Nice one! :thumbup:
h4ppy-chris
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by h4ppy-chris »

Lovely job there Pete well done. Would love to see a pic of your boat from the out side.
Willyeckerslike
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
England

Post by Willyeckerslike »

Looking good!
Waterdiddy
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Waterdiddy »

Thanks Peeps - very kind of you to take the time to post...

@ Ziggycat - It's a recipe I found on another curry-related site, m8. If you want it, I could pm a link to you I guess, so as not to tread on anyones toes ya see 8-)

@ Uclown2002 - Thanks m8

@ H4ppy-chris - Thanks m8... those chapatis you detaild in the vid 'Chapati 101' were superb! So easy and cooked easy. I can honestly say, it was the easiest first-time dish ever, so a big thanks for that. As to the boat, once the weather gets a bit better, I'll get some pics and pop em up m8. For now, shes a Jeanneau Sun Legende 41 - plenty of pics of them online.
Here's a few:
jeanneau-sun-legende-41-62376070112253505469505665694567x.jpg
jeanneau-sun-legende-41-62376070112253505469505665694567x.jpg (43.75 KiB) Viewed 10636 times
sun-legende-41-jeanneau-39604010101049556567665649544569x.jpg
sun-legende-41-jeanneau-39604010101049556567665649544569x.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 10636 times
ClickHandler.ashx.jpg
ClickHandler.ashx.jpg (29.32 KiB) Viewed 10636 times
@Willyeckerslike - Thanks m8!

It's the team spirit and people coming to our threads that helps to not only motivate us to greater things, but also improve our methods and so on. So thanks one and all for the interest - it does make a difference, as we all know.

Bests

Pete
jerrym
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by jerrym »

real dedication on the effort front.

it's amazing how big volume the ingredients take up - bottom of my fridge is full of it and 2 carrier bags of powdered and whole spice not to mention the 10kg (now 9kg) bag of dutch.

well pleased for you.
h4ppy-chris
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by h4ppy-chris »

Nice boat Pete! Glad the 'Chapati 101' were superb! for you.
Waterdiddy
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Waterdiddy »

M8, she's a real beaut!! Living on her is - even when it's cold and damp in mid-winter - a REAL pleasure 8-)

As for those Chapatis - I had never done them before and it all went off just like your vid dude! - I couldnt believe it when they puffed up obediently, lol - fabulous!

@ JerryM - thanks m8! Youre right too - my stuff is in three of those HUGE LIDL strong bags, two lockers and a Plastic box from Poundstretchers :laugh: Would be nice to have a superyacht I guess, but seriously - I like this one best of all.

Pete
Last edited by Waterdiddy on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
h4ppy-chris
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by h4ppy-chris »

Chapati's make really good wraps, cheaper than buying them. ;)
Waterdiddy
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Waterdiddy »

M8, now we have access to these chapatis, naans, parathas and all other types of breads etc - dhosas, puris...

We are becoming bread gluttons :mrgreen:

So far, I have tried a load of different ones - all have been good. The children like the Dhosas and Puris the best (cos I do em sweet), my faves are, and always have been, Kheema Naans and my wife is the Chapati Queen :D

So... a regular bakery here m8!! Now look what ya started, he he! (looking forward to the book, btw - another confirmed sale here, when it's done)

Pete
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

Excellent mate. Great kooking good curries and starters, there! I have to be honest, I really do admire the work ethic you've got. You probably have some of the most challenging cooking conditions of us all and I admire the amount of work you put into, no saving on quality, that's the spirit mate.

I'm curious about the "garlic coconut chicken" - it blends 2 of my favorite ingredients and I've never seen/heard about it until now. :)

crack on!
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Looks great, I bet you were a bit knackered after all that!
snoopy
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by snoopy »

Great looking food mate, Well done! :thumbup:
Waterdiddy
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Waterdiddy »

Thanks guys!

@ Goncalo - I have always done the cooking in our house. As to the Garlic Coconut Chicken, I just asked the girls what meat they wanted, then how they wanted it to taste - this is what they came up with, so I did it. Always easier to give children what they fancy - within reason, of course!

They enjoyed it so now it's officially a recipe here anyway :lol: I just used a general curry base, lots of garlic, some creamed cocunt block in hot water, which went in after the tomato paste. Other than that, it was pretty much a normal 'curry', just 1/2 Tsp chilli cos its for a 3 and 6 year old.

@ Alchemist - I will admit m8 - I was glad when the washing up was done and I could relax... after the meal I relaxed so much, I dropped off :whistle: he he he.

@ Snoopy - Thanks m8 - it means a lot when members comment and it does spur us all on to bigger, better things.