• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Vegetable curries

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
seafret
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken madras, King prawn bhuna, mushroom pakoras

Vegetable curries

Post by seafret »

I've been experimenting more with vegetarian dishes and have really enjoyed bir style food which doesn't contain meat; vegetarian curries are delicious and suit the bir style.
IMG_20190112_194503619~3-1024x1217.jpg
Last night's offering:
Mushroom pakoras - my own recipe
Poppadoms and pickles
Sweet, mild coconut dish with sweet potato and butternut squash. It's based on BI's butter chicken recipe
A madras style dish with broccoli, fine green beans and tomato. This is my standard madras recipe.
Saag aloo - a recipe based on several here
Plain basmati rice
It all went down very well with family. Butternut squash and sweet potato goes so well with coconut and the flavours of broccoli and beans complemented the spices in the hotter madras dish.
Free poppadoms and pickles with orders over £15. Tuesday nights only before 6pm.
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Re: Vegetable curries

Post by pauly »

All looks very nice seafret, I agree, vegetarian meals can make you wonder if meat is such a great thing.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Nice looking spread, seafret 8-)

Personally, I find that having all vegetarian dishes, and no meat dishes, leaves me "unsatisfied".
CA (aka Admin) :)
tandoorchef

Post by tandoorchef »

Ive started doing the same. You can just use any fresh you have boil it with some spice like turmeric then add the veg to a curry sauce for a cheap healthy curry and they taste great.
istarel
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: korma, butter chicken
Great Britain

Post by istarel »

Looks great! I feel like Indian food doesn't rely on meat (or any single ingredient really) to the extent that some other cuisines do, so veg curries are just as delicious to me.
seafret
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken madras, King prawn bhuna, mushroom pakoras

Post by seafret »

Cheers guys. In order to eat more healthily I try and eat vegetarian at least twice a week and bir seems to best way of achieving this aim.

I have no intention of going the Full Veg as I enjoy meat too much. Curries are great as they are so flexible and meat easily substituted and like everyone here I know the magic's in the gravy anyway. That with rice always hits the spot for me.

But if the meat pie went missing on meat pie night, there's something seriously wrong...
Free poppadoms and pickles with orders over £15. Tuesday nights only before 6pm.
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Post by British Indian »

Looks like a great spread SF.

I agree too. I find myself cooking 50/50 meat/veg dishes theses days, especially when we have people around. I love a good Bombay potatoes, Saag paneer ( homemade paneer.....so easy). Would never have thought of using brocolli or pumpkin. But, I will now :yes: