• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

The first curry!

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
dumbpotato
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: phall, pasanda, korma
Great Britain

The first curry!

Post by dumbpotato »

Hey all. I'm so happy and pleased! Matter panear (excuse the spelling), pilau rice, onion salad, mint yogurt dip, poppadoms, lamb seekh kebabs in a sizzle dish and 12 beers (not in the photo)! If you want me to, I'll elaborate what I did and how I did it and what needs improving tommorrow, but today, after 12 beers, I think I'm not up to much more than a few pictures.
20180529-curry-1-195634-06.jpg
Not much, but for 2 it's enough, and the best peas and cheese I've EVER had!
Muteer paneer from the Curry Secret book (need a few more ladlefuls of the base gravy, but otherwise amazing!)
Muteer paneer from the Curry Secret book (need a few more ladlefuls of the base gravy, but otherwise amazing!)
The lamb seekh kebabs from the curry secret book. However. I was hesitant about the amount of the egg/spice sauce for the amoun of lamb mince and I only used 1/2 of the quantity. And, truthfully, I could have used even less and it'd be great. Then, I did the "sizzle" to the book's recipe, too, and chucked a few more spoonfuls of the tandoori sauce in the mix. Loverrrrly!
The lamb seekh kebabs from the curry secret book. However. I was hesitant about the amount of the egg/spice sauce for the amoun of lamb mince and I only used 1/2 of the quantity. And, truthfully, I could have used even less and it'd be great. Then, I did the "sizzle" to the book's recipe, too, and chucked a few more spoonfuls of the tandoori sauce in the mix. Loverrrrly!
The mint yogurt sauce and the onion salad from the Curry Secret book, too. Both are not quite up to scratch. I don't know if it's the mint sauce from Lidl or my skimping on the green food colouring, but both are not quite there.
The mint yogurt sauce and the onion salad from the Curry Secret book, too. Both are not quite up to scratch. I don't know if it's the mint sauce from Lidl or my skimping on the green food colouring, but both are not quite there.
The gravy was the one from the amazing and wonderful Cory Ander's post (http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=101).

Thank you for having me! What a meal! And, I have chicken marinating in the fridge for tomorrow, and LOTSA LOTSA reading to do. But one thing I'm not having to do, like EVER, ever again, is spending £50 on a TA. :yahoo:
Marktheshark
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Keema bhuna, vindaloo, Madras
England

Re: The first curry!

Post by Marktheshark »

Wow, what s spread, well done dumdpotato, lot of work there mate, I would love to hear your method etc, great photos as well :thumbup:
Rusty
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
Australia

Post by Rusty »

Looks very nice and well done
Cheers Rusty
The best day of the week to prepare onions for a base gravy is a Fryday 8-)
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

Well done. Now, you have said that the base gravy (a recipe from this site) was good so try other recipes from this site and I think you will be even more pleased.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

All looking good, dumbpotato; thanks for sharing your results and photos with us.

I'll be interested to see how you find trying some of the many other recipes on this site..... 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
rdu
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Pistanda, Kashmir, Korma, Dopiaza
Netherlands

Post by rdu »

Looking good.
For the mint sause, taste is more important than colour :yes:
Bandit
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Jalfrezi, Pathia, Ceylon.
Great Britain

Post by Bandit »

well done mate, especially after 12 beers :lol::

All looking good and tasty

Bandit
haldi
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Phaal
Ireland

Post by haldi »

that all looks amazing

The curry secret book is something I use again and again
I try lots of other recipes but always seem to end up back there!

think I'll be trying something by Kris on Saturday!
You've inspired me
dumbpotato
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: phall, pasanda, korma
Great Britain

Post by dumbpotato »

Hey all! Thanks for all your replies! Another one tonight, chicken madras by Bandit (made with beef)! Once I figure out how to insert photos (again!), I'll be posting.