• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

December's Curry Club Curry of the Month is Oddbod's Slimline Dhansak (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Chettinad

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Chettinad

Post by unclefrank » Tue May 01, 2018 10:36 am

Still working on this dish and think i am nearly there with texture, flavour and heat.
Attachments
Chettinad (1).jpg
Chettinad (1).jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 603 times

JalfreziT
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Chettinad

Post by JalfreziT » Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Have you tried the recipe from KD's new curry secret book?

I just checked our copy and the comment was "too spicy" but it might suit you.
They've been cooking on Blue Peter, now they're sampling the dishes,
I don't normally like tomatoes John but this is delicious.

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Tue May 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Looking good, UF, please would you post the recipe when you're happy with it.... 8-)
Please make an effort to make at least 1 meaningful post each time you visit the forum

Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by unclefrank » Wed May 02, 2018 11:13 am

Of course i will CA just want to get it close to the restaurant dish first.

@jalfreziT totally forgot about that just looked and have a little sticky thing on the page, the dish i had at The Fiery Holes pub the flavour was spicy with the flavour of curry leaves which i can do with the recipe i have but for the life of me i can't get that slight undertone of tomato which comes through the dish, i have tried passata, tomato puree, fresh tomatoes, tinned tomatoes but can't get it right yet, the taste i got was definitely tinned tomatoes but when/where the tomato is added is still a mystery, i have tried all the above tomato types, at the start of cooking then adding some raw tinned tomatoes just before serving which at the moment has given me the best results but just not quite right yet lol.

ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken, Tandoori Lamb Tikka, Veggie

Post by ScotchBonnet » Wed May 02, 2018 5:52 pm

The Kama Sutra in Sauchiehall St, Glasgow does this dish. It is quite spicy due to the pepper but also with a bit of chilli. Could mustard seeds be part of the flavour you are seeking?

Murgh Chettinad £12.95 (South India)
Breast of chicken in a popular south Indian creamy dish with mustard seeds,
curry leaves, black peppers and chillies.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".

James
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by James » Wed May 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Have you tried using tomato sauce ketchup uncle frank?

unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by unclefrank » Thu May 03, 2018 10:44 am

@SB i have seen a few recipes with mustard seeds added so will add this when i make it again.
@James the taste i got was definitely tinned toms, i could try it though, will give this a go also.
Cheers.

unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by unclefrank » Tue May 08, 2018 10:13 am

Ordered a Chettinad and had it delivered.
A little more red in colour than i thought because of eating with a few beers and such, little pieces of onion but not browned, tinned tomatoes and curry leaves.
When i opened this the day after the smell of curry leaves was still present and it filled my kitchen, could still smell it after about an hour.
The last photo was taken with the flash on.
Attachments
Chettinad Fiery Holes (1).jpg
Chettinad Fiery Holes (1).jpg (181.47 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Chettinad Fiery Holes (2).jpg
Chettinad Fiery Holes (2).jpg (163.85 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Chettinad Fiery Holes (3).jpg
Chettinad Fiery Holes (3).jpg (159.34 KiB) Viewed 530 times

unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Chicken Chettinad

Post by unclefrank » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Still trying to get this right, local curry houses to me, getting there slow but sure lol.
Sorry about the photo had a new laptop and using Windows 10 and hasn't got a resize option so this will have to do until i can work out how to resize my photos, cheers.
Used Taz version of this recipe, got the texture and heat but the fresh tomato added made it a little too tart, so will have to make it again without the fresh tomato.
Attachments
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (233.78 KiB) Viewed 122 times

JalfreziT
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Chicken Chettinad

Post by JalfreziT » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:07 am

Looks great. Have you looked at Kris Dhillon's version in the new book? It might give you some hints to get you on the right track to where you want to be.

To resize an image in Win10, right click file, open with photo gallery. Then choose "edit, organise, share", then edit, and choose "resize". I am no computer whizz, but this works for me.
They've been cooking on Blue Peter, now they're sampling the dishes,
I don't normally like tomatoes John but this is delicious.

unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Chicken Chettinad

Post by unclefrank » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:09 pm

You only have option to resize when you right click on image when it is opened in Photo and then it still doesn't work, been a problem for a while apparently, never mind hopefully will get sorted soon.
Is the Kris book the New Curry Secret book?
Trouble is i don't know whether the dish i like is really a true Chettinad dish or not but it does taste lovely. i asked the owner what was in it and he said coconut and garam masala, so all i have to go on is the above and a few recipes for Chettinad.

Return to “Photos (Guests Welcome to Browse)”