• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Veg Dhansak, trying to make this (photo)!

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
6CJRQO
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Madras and Vindaloo
Great Britain

Veg Dhansak, trying to make this (photo)!

Post by 6CJRQO »

Vegetable_Dhansak.jpg
Vegetable_Dhansak.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
So here is a Vegetable Dhansak from a local restaurant where I used to live. Since I live 3800 miles away now I am not able to chat with them about the ingredients used. Next time I am back in the UK he did offer for me to go to the kitchen and watch them make it.

I'd love your expert opinions on it, and I know it's just a photo. It's very sweet, smooth and creamy and making me hungry just looking at it! Any ideas how I can even come close to making this?

Ray
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Re: Veg Dhansak, trying to make this (photo)!

Post by ScotchBonnet »

Have a look in the recipe section at the Medium dishes, Dhansak - basically they are a simple curry mixed with about 1 part in 4 dhal. So, I'd make some dhal (make plenty as you can always eat it on its own and you can keep it in the fridge for a few days or freeze it); being biased I would opt for one of mine but Westy's seems to get rave reviews too or you could use any of the dhal recipes. Then pick a vegetable curry from the vegetarian recipes index. Combine and adjust the ratios to suit your palate.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

Keep it simple would be my advice, lemon dressing & sugar.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Some restaurants/takeaways just use tinned lentils as the dhal component of their dhansak (minimising cost is generally critical for them).
CA (aka Admin) :)
6CJRQO
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Madras and Vindaloo
Great Britain

Post by 6CJRQO »

I've managed to get really close and I've posted my recipe on the Dhansak section. Thanks Cory Ander for your spice mix #2, that really helped! I kept it pretty simple, and added plenty of lemon juice, a slice of lemon and sugar.

I live in North Carolina, but have tried Indian restaurants all over the USA and I've not found anything that comes close to BIR style dishes. I still have to try an make onion bhajee's, as they're not even on the menu here.
Welshcurrys
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Welshcurrys »

My favourite dish looks good I'm going to have a go today on my own
:thumbup: