• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Naga Korma

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Naga Korma

Post by unclefrank »

Used a basic korma recipe then added 1 tsp Mr.Naga made this dish for the other half said she wanted something sweet and hot ;)
Naga Korma (3).JPG
Naga Korma (3).JPG (105.99 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Naga Korma (2).JPG
Naga Korma (2).JPG (104.38 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Naga Korma (1).JPG
Naga Korma (1).JPG (99.1 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Naga Korma

Post by goncalo »

What did she think of the final dish?

I've had a few kormas with chilli (medium) in the past. I liked it, but, it sort of brings you closer to the traditional parsee korma recipes.
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
Natterjak
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by Natterjak »

Haha, the naga korma is a rare beast indeed. Wonder if there's any BIR offering this anywhere? Doubtful but you can never say never
"Don't burn the spices" is the most dangerous truism of all - because it's incomplete. It should be "Don't burn the spices but do cook them!"
You'll never make BIR if you're too cautious frying your spices.....
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Sounds wired but does it work?
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by unclefrank »

She loved it saying it's her favourite at the moment, until i make her something else, could have been a little hotter for my taste.
Well i got the naga chilli from a local asian store, never even knew they stocked it, 2 GBP for a 190g jar and then found the elusive asian bay leaves 50g for 99p bargain, any way so i gave a list to her and asked "what you fancy from this list", she picked one, Mirchi Korma so she decided on the Mr.Naga instead of the normal green chillies i use.
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

Good to know! I made a vindaloo a few days ago using mr naga and I've decided to throw out the leftover mr naga (I still ate the vindas, though.) I'm really not keen on the fruity flavour it imparts and for me the heat is quite subtle as well (I used a hpd tsp, perhaps I should have used more for heat?)
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

I use mr naga in some of my hotter curries... About half a teaspoon helps it along for me.

An unfortunate side effect is what happens in the bathroom. Anyone else had the same problem?
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by unclefrank »

Not had any problems but i do really like the taste of Naga chillies i have it on crackers for a little snack, lovely.
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

rshome123 wrote:I use mr naga in some of my hotter curries... About half a teaspoon helps it along for me.

An unfortunate side effect is what happens in the bathroom. Anyone else had the same problem?
Add it early in the frying stage. Don't forget that the paste has some seeds in it which will release further flavour once fried. These are most likely mustard/cumin/etc, although it may possibly be naga seeds too. I haven't experienced the ring of fire in a while, I do notice it if I don't cook the chillies properly the next day I get it, so my first line of defense is to add all the chilli before mix powder and ensure that it gets cooked properly. If using fresh, then it will be the first thing going into the hot oil for sure.
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by unclefrank »

I add Naga quite late in the cooking because i do like the taste of the chilli, comes through nicely indeed.