• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

tonight's tea

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

tonight's tea

Post by goncalo »

Had 2 friends over, so we ordered the starter and I made the mains. We got a tandoori mixed platter (starter), 3 naans (garlic, pesh, keema -- sorry, pic is fuzzy) and some raitas. I made the onion salad, korma and jalfrezi. I had great fun and both curries were restaurant like, jalfrezi was quite possibly the closest to bir I've achieved so far. I'm using Bengali Bob's base/mix powder here.
20130804_200927.jpg
20130804_200927.jpg (81.98 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
20130804_203740.jpg
20130804_203740.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
20130804_203817.jpg
20130804_203817.jpg (86.88 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
20130804_203811.jpg
20130804_203811.jpg (110.16 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
20130804_204031.jpg
20130804_204031.jpg (95.64 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Re: tonight's tea

Post by Cory Ander »

Nice looking curries Goncalo...nice thick consistency and colour for the korma 8-)
I'm using Bengali Bob's base/mix powder here
Perhaps you could encourage Bengali Bob to post his curry base and spice mix recipes here?
CA (aka Admin) :)
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

Thank you CA!

The seemingly thick consistency on the korma is because I had to put it in the oven whilst waiting for the naans, which made it sort of "curdled layer" due to the cream/milk and also because I didn't dry the pan enough before I added the almond powder, which immediately made it lumpy - mea culpa for trying to speed things up aimlessly - and on the jalfrezi, I only added a single ladle and reduced it well. I think the chicken stock from the precooked chicken is a bit too thick as well, so this would have had its share as thickening agent. I only thought about that a little later as I've never really blended the plum toms for precooking very finely -- never really saw much reason for it, well, now I know.

With every base I cook, I learn a few new tricks and things I expect to improve the next time. This time I've brought my jalfrezi to the next level and I have a set of tweaks in mind that I am eager to use!

I'm off to make make a shatkora syrup concoction.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

goncalo wrote:Thank you CA!

The seemingly thick consistency on the korma is because I had to put it in the oven whilst waiting for the naans, which made it sort of "curdled layer" due to the cream/milk and also because I didn't dry the pan enough before I added the almond powder, which immediately made it lumpy
The consistency still looks good, to me, Goncalo. I always remember that "peaking" effect you get when you remove the top off a takeaway Korma (or CTM) container. Yours looks like that. Which is good, in my book 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

We had 2 other guests tonight (my girlfriend's girlfriend) visiting us tonight, so I repeated yesterday's food, with the addition of bombay aloo. I took the opportunity to take a few shots.

Pre-cooked chicken (viceroy brasserie)

Bombay Potatoes pre-cooking IFFU method

Bombay Potatoes

Chicken Jalfrezi

3x chicken korma portions