• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Karahi Gosht

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Karahi Gosht

Post by goncalo »

Tonight I made my first mutton curry. It was excellent. I used some mix powder and Jaipur GM which Bengali Bob kindly supplied.
I noticed the pictures sort of lost some of its authenticity after the resize. Even my girlfriend said "Oh, that doesn't look nice", so in addition to these pictures, I posted the higher resolution pictures in the link below (bear in mind the looks department is something I'm far off the mark regardless :)

(link removed by Admin since it's asking the viewer to "request access")

The pilau rice was made with CA's recipe. My first time using it and I liked it. I did the basic recipe, with only an addition of a hpd tsp of sugar and instead of 1/4 of a tsp of salt, I added 1/2 tsp of salt and I thought the salt quantity wasn't enough. Any idea what could've gone wrong here?

Because the rice was kinda bland, but with some frangrance, I learnt experimented with making a basic tarka with a 2 tbsp of oil, half-tsp of salt and a pinch of cumin seeds and a few garlic cloves.
Attachments
photo(1).jpg
photo(1).jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (53.48 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
photo(2).jpg
photo(2).jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
photo(3).jpg
photo(3).jpg (28.99 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Re: Karahi Gosht

Post by Cory Ander »

goncalo wrote:instead of 1/4 of a tsp of salt, I added 1/2 tsp of salt and I thought the salt quantity wasn't enough. Any idea what could've gone wrong here?
Hi Goncalo,

I presume this is my pilau rice recipe posted on another forum? If so, I agree, 0.25tsp of salt is probably too little. You will see with my new (vegetable) pilau rice recipe, posted on this forum, I have upped the salt to 1 tbsp.

I guess you can add as little, or as much, salt as you like. One thing I've noticed is that it takes longer for the rice to cook/soften when more salt is added.
CA (aka Admin) :)