• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Tandoori chicken leg, naga masala sauce, pilau rice & naan

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
Natterjak
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Tandoori chicken leg, naga masala sauce, pilau rice & naan

Post by Natterjak »

Made some tandoori chicken legs using the tikka marinade recipe from Zaman restaurant in Datchet and matched it to CBM Mick's recipe for naga masala curry from his ebook vol 2. Went nicely with pilau and naan to my recipe. I'm no David bailey I suppose, but it tasted nice and Fred (the Homepride man) approved.
8wmy.jpg
8wmy.jpg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
"Don't burn the spices" is the most dangerous truism of all - because it's incomplete. It should be "Don't burn the spices but do cook them!"
You'll never make BIR if you're too cautious frying your spices.....
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Tandoori chicken leg, naga masala sauce, pilau rice & na

Post by goncalo »

Looks like a very good effort NJ!

How do you rate zaman's tikka marinade, compared to others (feel free to name names)?

How did you find the naga masala sauce?
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
Natterjak
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by Natterjak »

Hi goncalo

I like the flavour of the Zaman tikka very much and it's probably my favourite right now, but I have problems comparing recipes which I don't cook back to back, and with tikka marinade because I'm always cooking a batch at a time it's never all that soon before I cook the next one, so even if I use different recipes it would be hard to compare. The other tikkas i tend to cook are dipu's and blades and I know the answer is that I need to cook all three side by side, I just don't know what I would do with so much tikka all at once! Well freeze it of course, but then it would take me ages to use it.

But coming back to Zaman's tikka, I do think it's a top recipe and although judging proportions from the video isn't the easiest thing, it's well worth a try. Just a note on the mustard oil, the large KTC tin seen in the video is a blend of rapeseed oil and mustard oil (that's the only way they are allowed to sell it as "edible") so bear this in mind if you're using 100% mustard oil as I was (the smaller 250ml and 500ml KTC bottles in the uk are 100% mustard oil and sold as hair oil).
"Don't burn the spices" is the most dangerous truism of all - because it's incomplete. It should be "Don't burn the spices but do cook them!"
You'll never make BIR if you're too cautious frying your spices.....
Willyeckerslike
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
England

Post by Willyeckerslike »

That looks great NJ. I must give the tikka recipe a go the next time I make tikka
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Natterjak has now kindly posted his recipes for Pilau Rice & Tikka Marinade, from the Zaman Restaurant, in the recipe sections of the forum.

I believe this is also natterjak's Naan recipe?

Thanks NJ 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)