• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

2nd BIR curry attempt

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
Lozman
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Pathia, Vindaloo, Paratha, Saag Paneer

2nd BIR curry attempt

Post by Lozman »

Hey Everyone,

Been meaning to post this for about three weeks... my second attempt at a curry for a couple of friends I'd invited over. I cooked mostly the same stuff as before because I felt more comfortable doing something I'd already done (it is only my second attempt after all) and I also wanted to try modifying things very slightly based on my results last time. I did use the frozen base as per advice in my other thread "base sauce - fresh or frozen" and it was indeed perfectly fine.

So, my overall meal consisted of popodums and chutneys, paratha, chicken dhansak, saag paneer, and pilau rice. Recipes again were using KD's The Curry Secret book. Changes I wanted to make from my initial attempt (see thread here) are as follows;

It seems like I put too much coloring in the rice last time around and it all came out a bit orange. I was careful to use less this time and I tried to ensure a lot of white was still visible in the pan. Also, I felt the rice needed a little more fragrance than before, so I increased the spices added overall by 50% from the recipe. This came out nice for my palette.
Rice Cooking
Rice Cooking
m_IMG_0028.JPG (62.14 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
Pilau Rice
Pilau Rice
m_IMG_0033.JPG (67.49 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
Second was the dhansak. Last time around it came out quite dry. I think this was because I left it on for quite a long time while I was getting all the other stuff ready. Additionally the chicken was overdone because I cooked it fully then put it in the sauce where it cooked a lot more. So changes this time; I was careful to only just almost cook the chicken in the base before removing it and putting it aside. When I cooked the sauce once ready I kept a lid almost all the way on it to keep in the moisture. I also added a quarter cup of water a couple of times just to keep it to a nice consistency. Lastly I didn't add the chicken until about seven minutes before I was ready to serve it, and just long enough to heat it through and finish off that last minute or so to cook. Result, must runnier sauce and perfectly cooked chicken.
Chicken Dhansak
Chicken Dhansak
m_IMG_0031.JPG (85.82 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
The saag panner last time was a little disappointing. The cheese was a little over fried and I've never been a big fan of saag paneer with the cubes anyway. This time I simply grated the cheese and added it to the spinach a little before it was ready so it kinda melted into the mix. I also added two slightly rounded tablespoons of caster sugar to sweeten it up. One mistake I feel like I made though was to get salted spinach. The sugar helped offset this a bit but it was still noticeably salty. Next time, unsalted spinach for sure.
Saag Paneer
Saag Paneer
m_IMG_0032.JPG (79.18 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
Still have to work a little on my bread. It's the last thing to do, and by the time I am ready to cook it I am frantically trying to get everything ready so it just kinda turns out meh. Still tasted good though, though my exact technique definitely needs some work. Next time I think I'll try naan though.
Paratha
Paratha
m_IMG_0030.JPG (74.38 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
All in all, a very tasty curry. Please let me know your comments, or advice on how I can do better next time.
Dinner Table
Dinner Table
m_IMG_0034.JPG (54.54 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
Thanks!
Lozman.
Flyman9495
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Re: 2nd BIR curry attempt

Post by Flyman9495 »

Loz,

Looks really great and it is nice to see you developing your dishes.

I dry fry the Chicken ,marinate it for a couple pof hours in base and mix powder, then smear pan with a little oil/butter wipe off marinade and dry fry till just turned white on outside , freeze, then portion out and defrost and norma;l cook in curry as you would make it , lovely and tender.

Are you getting in a panic about not getting it out all together , that is my failure.

So now all frozen . pre cooked then assembled cooked and into oven for last 8 mins while evrything else is done- still do not get it right, make Nans , bread before and wrap in foil and just like a TA they steam and get softer so again these are not done last .

But again well done and it looks good onthe table. :P
Sveedy
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by Sveedy »

Well done lozman, good looking spread there!
used to be emcf
Outlook
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Outlook »

Very well done Lozman, your table set looks great.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Nice job lozman. Chapattis are hard to nail, definitely one to do in advance and just warm for 30 to 40 secs before serving. BIR is hard work, but worth it when it comes together!