• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Curries on a day off work

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
StoneCut

Curries on a day off work

Post by StoneCut »

Yesterday was a holiday in Germany. The wife allowed me to mess up the kitchen already on Tuesday, so I prepared the Universal Base Gravy (up the oil amount to 500 ml) which I composed earlier already on Tuesday and then made three curries yesterday: Two Madras and one Korma. These are also based on recipes I calculated and derived from a number of other Madras recipes. The difference between the two Madras: One was made using my Universal Spice Mix and the other was made using my Alternative Universal Spice Mix (add 0,25 tsp Mustard powder)

Here's a picture of the finished "Universal Base Gravy" (ignore the mess, please, the wife was screaming at me ...):
image (0).jpeg
image (0).jpeg (101.37 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
Here's Julian's/C2Go's Pre-Cooked Chicken simmering away:
image (1).jpeg
image (1).jpeg (24.54 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
Here are the ingredients for both "Universal Madras" curries:
image (2).jpeg
image (2).jpeg (105.37 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
Cooking out the spices and tomato paste for a Madras:
image (3).jpeg
image (3).jpeg (100.06 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
The finished dish:
image (4).jpeg
image (4).jpeg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
StoneCut

Re: Curries on a day off work

Post by StoneCut »

Both Madras' next to each other (the colour was almost the same, the picture isn't very good):
image (5).jpeg
image (5).jpeg (108.7 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
The ingredients for the Korma:
image (6).jpeg
image (6).jpeg (98.73 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
All three finished curries on one picture:
image (7).jpeg
image (7).jpeg (112.81 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
Willyeckerslike
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
England

Post by Willyeckerslike »

The curries look really good Stonecut. When I get a day off I enjoy making a few curries, if the Mrs lets me ;)
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

They all look really good SC 8-)

PS: I did amend your "alternative universal spice mix" to include the mustard that you originally omitted.
CA (aka Admin) :)
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Those are good looking Madras' there SC .. and you were pleased with the taste according to the spice thread .. great !!

Is that CA's Korma you did there .. looking at the ingredients it looks very similar .. how was it and how was the sauce consistency please ?

8-)
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....
StoneCut

Post by StoneCut »

No, it's not CA's recipe. When I tried CA's Korma once I found the sauce to be too thick for my tastes. This might down to using the wrong/different ingredients, of course. I've switched to using Maggi Coconut Milk powder since and love the stuff. I might need to retry CA's recipe but for the time being I have 11 more recipes of my own to try ;)

Anyway, both recipes were devised in a similar way to the mix powder and base gravy using Excel and hand-picked "chef specials" as well as some common sense.

Here's the Korma: