• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

a few pics from Curried away :)

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Location: Fusion Indian Restaurant, Alford, Lincolnshire. LN139DS

a few pics from Curried away :)

Post by adeypayne »

Just thought i would post these pics :) There is one of the BIR cooking classes we run which are a great success,And of the CA team. For your amusement :)
me8.jpg
me8.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 22230 times
me5.jpg
me5.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 22230 times
me9.jpg
me9.jpg (50.22 KiB) Viewed 22230 times
me4.jpg
me4.jpg (9.57 KiB) Viewed 22230 times
me2.jpg
me2.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 22230 times
me.jpg
me.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 22230 times
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: a few pics from Curried away :)

Post by goncalo »

Interesting place Adey. I admire your drive to make a business out of your passion. One question that I wondered for a while was whether you compare your curries to those of Abdul's and how do you find that they differ and also whether you still spend time appreciating/observing Abdul's cooking, to try and learn something new, or if you feel there's little else to learn these days?
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Wish I lived in Lincolnshire... I'd be eating out twice a week there.
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

goncalo wrote:Interesting place Adey. I admire your drive to make a business out of your passion. One question that I wondered for a while was whether you compare your curries to those of Abdul's and how do you find that they differ and also whether you still spend time appreciating/observing Abdul's cooking, to try and learn something new, or if you feel there's little else to learn these days?
Hi buddy. Firstly ty for the kind comments. So much to explain really. Like many I had been on the bir journey for many many years. Working in bir kitchens, talking and watching various chefs etc. The owner of one of our local bir houses was in a pickle one night as he was a chef down. I offered to help the head chef and he was so impressed he offered me a job as second chef! I worked there alongside Abdul for 6 months, learning new and unheard of techniques. On Abdul day off I would be head chef. It was after this that Abdul and I decided to open our own place, which is now curried away and is very successful but very hard work all the same. Regarding Indian cooking and predominantly bir I consider Abdul to be a master chef with over 35 years at the helm. I learn from him every day. When we did the menu fir CA we just played with the dishes! We wanted to be the best! So for example a pathia? Abdul would do his, I would do mine, then we would experiment and decide which was our favourite! !! Sorry if it's a bit long winded! Abdul now works in London with his brother and leaves me to run CA as he feels he has taught me all he can. I run the kitchen and am head chef :) plus he's always at the end of the phone if I get stuck! :laugh:
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

Also, I must mention Julian in this from C2g who I must say was a huge influence on my journey. As we're others. I live it. Every day! Of course I make mistakes that's how we learn. I love my job and always will. I would always urge anybody to follow their dreams. At the time of writing we are in the process of moving to a 60 seater restaurant! A bit ambitious? Most likely, but in for a penny in for a pound! Lol. Kind regards, A.
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

Staff pic: left to right;
Myself and Abdul, Debbie (front of house), Sultan ( tandoori chef, and another brilliant 1st chef I must say!) And son in law Danny (cook, packer and guinea pig! Lol :laugh: )
uclown2002
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by uclown2002 »

Nice one Adey!
Interesting story 8-)
Is it possible to replicate exactly your curries at home on a lower heat output? Question is rather topical here :D
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Post by British Indian »

Good luck with the move up to a 60 seater place Adey. It's something myself and Raj have discussed several times, but rents are stupidly high here in WA. It would be financial suicide for us to take something like that on with us both having to get a living out of it. I wish you all the luck in the world.
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

uclown2002 wrote:Is it possible to replicate exactly your curries at home on a lower heat output? Question is rather topical here :D
Hi uclown. This is a somewhat controversial topic, and i know people will disagree with me but this is MY opinion and one i will not budge on! :
In my experience and having tried for years to "copy" the BIR taste, I simply could NOT get the flavours correct using domestic hobs etc. I proved this to myself on several occasions and to my many students by cooking 2 exact same curries, in the exact same way, 1 on the professional range and 1 on a normal hob> The results were a great tasting 2 curries, but the one cooked on the higher output stove, which obviously took half the time, was exacltly how it should be, the other was missing a certain "something". Having the restaurant kitchen at hand now I have given up trying to explain why and what is different.
If i cater out or at home, I use High output gas rings, as seen in some of the videos :) These produce PERFECT results and can be purchased on ebay for around £30 each, plus the LPG of course. Hope this helps buddy, and like I say, thats only My opinion :)
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

British Indian wrote:Good luck with the move up to a 60 seater place Adey. It's something myself and Raj have discussed several times, but rents are stupidly high here in WA. It would be financial suicide for us to take something like that on with us both having to get a living out of it. I wish you all the luck in the world.
Thank you for your kind words buddy. Yep the rents are a killer, i hear you!! Luckily we have been fortunate enough to find the right place at a fraction of the current market rate cost which will help tremendously. Plus the added bonus of low business rates or I wouldn't of even considered it! The running costs however, will be staggering as you know.
It's a gamble mate, but hey ho so is life.
All the very to you with your business too pal :)
adeypayne
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by adeypayne »

rshome123 wrote:Wish I lived in Lincolnshire... I'd be eating out twice a week there.
I was an addict like you once mate!! If you are ever in the area, you will always be welcome :D
uclown2002
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by uclown2002 »

Thanks Adey.