• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

recent meals

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

recent meals

Post by goncalo »

Garlic Chilli Chicken
Taste wise it was by far one of the nicest home-made curries I've eaten in months. I used 6 bullet chilli fingers sliced in thin slices and didn't discard the seeds. The depth of flavour was easily comparable to a restaurant, but there was strangely almost no heat on this one. I had to go out and buy proper chillies to try and repeat this one again. I used 3 large garlic cloves sliced thinly and let them brown quite a bit. 8/10.
DSC_0115.JPG
DSC_0115.JPG (139.06 KiB) Viewed 6636 times
Madras, just a standard BIR madras, albeit because I messed up the quantity of concentrated tomato in the base sauce, I thought the taste of tomato sauce was quite present on this one. 6/10
madras.JPG
madras.JPG (118.91 KiB) Viewed 6636 times
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: recent meals

Post by goncalo »

I'm making a masala sauce that I was told about (albeit with no explicit measurements) by a 70s BIR chef from Cambridge, which involves no patak sauces and then I'm making a chicken masala (no tikka ready), a ceylon and another garlic chilli chicken with more finger chillies.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Visually the madras looks great. I'm going to tried CBMs South Indian a Garlic Chilli Chicken soon, hope it turns out as good as yours.
ziggycat
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by ziggycat »

Just finished off the chicken garlic naga I made yesterday from cbm's 2nd ebook :)
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

Thanks. I think I am going to spend some time trying to improve this garlic chilli chicken, it was really a winner :)
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Nice one Goncalo, and why don't you post your recipe as your own in the main dish recipe forum.
snoopy
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by snoopy »

goncalo m8t just glad you didnt leave, those pics look just amazing,

Quote: Taste wise it was by far one of the nicest home-made curries I've eaten in months.
It just goes to show if your own cuisine tastes that good your on the right tracks :thumbup:
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Also, regarding the over use of tomato paste in the madras...

What recipe were you following ? How did the recipe state the use of tomato purée (double concentrate assumed)? Which brand of tomato purée did you use?

I'm interested in this, as I love the tomato based curries such as madras, but sometimes it's easy to overdo the purée.
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

Thank you snoopy! Indeed. I think one of my problems is not ever being happy with anything I do, so I keep trying different things. I am now starting to settle on a single base and make small changes at a time to the recipes, so I can control the outcome easily. One other thing I didn't mention, was that I deep fried the peppers/chunky onions at about 160 por about 15 seconds (mainly because after 5 seconds they didn't seem cooked at all, but 15 seconds was way paste, however it was quite close. I reckon 8-12 seconds is the sweet spot) - even my the missus who is a korma/ctm/passanda type woman, was like "Oh, this is lovely!" - well pleased indeed.

Rich, I don't know the brand off the top of my head but I can let you know later. The problem was that I made chewy's base and I didn't follow the recipe for the last stage, estimated the amount of tomato paste required largely by a factor of 2-2.5 and didn't dilute it. The base was more of a reddish-brown because of it so it had a milder, but pronounced tomatoey flavour to it, but was still a base sauce. In the final dish, I didn't account for the extra tomato in the base, so I just added about half-chef (undiluted, straight out of the tin) - sometimes it doesn't pay off to be mindless, but texture wise, that one curry was very very nice, it just felt the tomato and chilli was the distinct feature. I normally like to feel that kick of flavour from the chicken itself. :)
Willyeckerslike
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
England

Post by Willyeckerslike »

Looking good goncalo 8-)
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

Thanks WE! :)

Rich, the puree I use is from a UK brand called "Cirio", it comes in 850g tins (larger tins)
http://www.cirio1856.co.uk/index.php?se ... mato-puree