• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Lamb Bengali Mirch

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Lamb Bengali Mirch

Post by Alchemist »

Made a Lamb Bengali Mirch today, using CBMs recipe, outstanding!
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.82 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Re: Lamb Bengali Mirch

Post by Alchemist »

Left out the Naga pickle by the way!
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

This is probably the best looking lamb curry I've seen around these forums. Can you tell me what cut of lamb do you use for curries? I just bought 1kg of shoulderblade and 1kg of leg and have it on the stove right now, but it appears to have a lot of bone... :)
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

I've not tried lamb shoulder as I've heard it can be quite fatty. For BIR lamb I buy leg, and ask the butcher to debone it, chop the excess fat/sinue off, and cut it into bite size chunks. I also ask to keep the bones. When I get home I wash it and trim off any fat that was missed.

I use CBM Mick Crawford recipe from one of his ebooks for pre-cooking the lamb. After fishing the meat out I add the bones (washed) and simmer for 90 minutes or thereabouts, adding more water if required. End consistency is like a thickish soup. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze. I use 2-3 cubes of the stock in curries. Adds a good depth of flavour.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

goncalo wrote:This is probably the best looking lamb curry I've seen around these forums. Can you tell me what cut of lamb do you use for curries? I just bought 1kg of shoulderblade and 1kg of leg and have it on the stove right now, but it appears to have a lot of bone... :)
Thanks Goncalo. To be honest I'm not sure, as I just buy pre cubed lamb from the local farm shop, I think it is probably leg. When I buy mutton from the local Asian supermarket they do offer either the option of boned or deboned meat. I have bought boned in the past and it is easily removed after you pre cook the lamb long enough and does add flavour.
snoopy
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by snoopy »

Nice one m8, Looks lovely :yes: