• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Perth 2018 curry meet up

Notification of, and reports on, curry meetings between members
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Re: Perth 2018 curry meet up

Post by British Indian »

Yes, as usual it was a great night, with great company, and very interesting talking to, watching and learning from Sabas. He’s a very nice bloke.

Now I have always said I am happy to be proved wrong if I learn something, and last night I learned. So maybe high heat output IS important ( still doesn’t explain why I physically have disproved this though :laugh: )

Sabas was also very confident that excess oil is not a good thing. As CA said, he uses (minimal) fresh canola oil. His used oil that has cooked bhajis etc, goes into a “Fataway” disposal unit ready for collection. This is another added cost, so obviously he thinks it is important NOT to use this oil for cooking curries. He said it would not carry any favourable flavours, and seemed to think that the practice is widespread in UK, as a cost cutting exercise. That, and the fact that they themselves won’t be eating what they cook.

He also said that in his opinion, frying spices in oil before adding gravies is NOT important........ :ohmg: This is something that Raj has always said too...........let the debate begin......

It was only when we got out of the taxi at the train station that we realised that we hadn’t taken any photos, apologies for that. We may have to go again, soon to rectify that.

Thanks for a most enjoyable ( and slightly drunken ) evening gents. :yes:
andrw
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo, Naga, Madras, Phall
Great Britain

Post by andrw »

How was the food? How did it compare with typical BIR dishes? (taste, texture etc)
charliebir
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Pathia, Garlic Chilli, Madras.
Scotland

Post by charliebir »

Sounds like you had a great night out, and thanks to CA for the feedback and "inside info" :thumbup:
Charlie.
Willyeckerslike
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
England

Post by Willyeckerslike »

As always a very enjoyable evening :thumbup:
It was an eye opener watching Saba's cook the the curries. It's just a pity we forgot to photograph the process :|
My excuse is I drank a few and just went with the flow :blink:
The meal was great! The company was great! The cooking lesson was great!
Let's do it again soon! :thumbup:
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

Some very interesting points gents, glad you enjoyed your evening.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

andrw - to be honest, I've had far better vindaloos (and believe any of us would cook a nicer vindaloo). I enjoyed the curries, more so, the last time we visited (about 3 or 4 years ago).

I think Sabas may have got a little over-zealous, with the "flaming theatrics", when cooking (and demonstrating) the BI's ghee roast. Having tasted it, I think Sabas maybe managed to burn the whole spices - i.e. mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds - (not too sure what the others thought?).

The naans were very good (peshwari, garlic and plain) and the onion bhaji starters were good. And the pilau rice was as might be expected.

But, it was great to be invited into Sabas' kitchen to see how Sabas cooks his curries (quite differently to what I'm used to). All in all, a great experience 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
Willyeckerslike
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
England

Post by Willyeckerslike »

I also thought I have had better curries and agree they were better the last time we went there. Knowing how hot you like your vindaloos I am not at all suprised by your comments, it wasn't very hot! The food on the whole was OK but the curry portions were small in my opinion.
The star of the show for me was the naan bread! Probably the best I have had in Australia. I have had some poor excuses for naan bread over the years here.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

I'm still staggered by how much rent these guys have to pay. And how many curries they need to sell, each week, just to pay the rent. Not to mention their other running costs, staff wages, etc. And then attempt to make a profit. I can't even begin to understand how they manage to even stay in business :unsure:

PS: I should mention that Sabas also runs curry cooking classes at his restaurant (if I understood him correctly, in a separate room/kitchen - probably for insurance purposes). If anyone is interested, please let me know. Maybe we can set something up (tailor-made, I'd suggest).
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Post by British Indian »

I can only echo CA’s and Willy’s comments. It was enjoyable enough, had much, much worse.

I could be interested in attending one of his cooking classes CA.
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

I found myself wondering just what it is they don't do or don't use , that we can make better curries than the pros. Perhaps it's simply that we can fine tune exactly what we like as individuals at home.
charliebir
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Pathia, Garlic Chilli, Madras.
Scotland

Post by charliebir »

I think that is it, Pauly.

You make it the way you like it
Charlie.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

pauly, in this case, it's simply that typical (i.e. generally non-Bangladeshi) Aussie Indian Restaurants don't make curries in the same way as typical (i.e. generally Bangladeshi) restaurants do. As witnessed by the methods used here. And, for me, I'm not keen on curries that have been made with minimal oil. I like 'em oily. Otherwise, I think taste and texture is lost. So it's probably a "personal preference" thing. Enjoyable, but different. And, to my mind, not as nice. This is why so many British expats are largely disappointed with the curries they have in Australia (in my opinion).