• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

West Midlands Curry Meet Up

Notification of, and reports on, curry meetings between members
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garllic Chilli, Naga, Tarka Daal, Aloo Chaat
England

Re: West Midlands Curry Meet Up

Post by steveparadox »

good work guys and great to put a some faces to the names! I was seriously tempted to drive up from Surrey for this too....maybe the next one!

How did you find the dishes at the restaurant?
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

I imagine the dishes came with the food, steve :lol:
CA (aka Admin) :)
TiptonNick
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Bhuna
England

Post by TiptonNick »

Anyway, back on topic... :lol::

Steve: The madras was a very rich and quite 'tomatoey' sauce. Quite sweet but VERY hot. Quite a 'saucy' curry as well. I've had better but I've certainly had worse!
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
England

Post by steveparadox »

Very dry sense of humour CA! :lol::

Saucey and hot is the way I usually like it TiptonNick. Always good to try new places.
TiptonNick
SERRANO
SERRANO
England

Post by TiptonNick »

Have you tried Westy's madras, mate? One to go for if you like a bit of heat with a rich tomato hit. He's very humble in accpeting my compliments but it's a cracking curry.
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Post by British Indian »

Fantastic fellas. Hope you all had a great night.

Love the "swapping herbs" and Rizlas comments. :lol::
slicker55
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: चिकन मद्रास
Great Britain

Post by slicker55 »

Steve, the Madras I had was OK but nothing special and my wife say's her Chicken Pathia wasn't a patch on what we have made - woooooh, love her!
TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Chicken Madras

Post by TikkaTom »

Steve, I thought the curry was good but not great, very thick rich sauce with no visible oil. I must say I was a little disappointed though, this is the place that I fondly remember as my intro to Balti's when I was 16. The curry I had didnt seem to be a patch on the glorious balti that I remember from the 90s. Maybe its because they've gone downhill, maybe its because my standards have increased since then, or maybe its because we just remember things in a more glamorous light than they actually were!?
slicker55
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by slicker55 »

TT, spot on - couldn't agree with you more...
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
England

Post by steveparadox »

I've been finding myself less and less with a lot of places too. Not sure if it's curry overload, I some places just not being that great. Every so often though I'm blown away!
slicker55
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by slicker55 »

Hi Steve, well I very much think the same as you... it was like recently when you asked for recommendations as to a good restaurant in Birmingham's Balti Triangle (a place we have visited many times over the years)... there area few tried and tested places which one should be able to recommend but then you read customer reviews which paint an entirely different picture. I don't know whether these places have developed a bit of a culture for just churning out mediocre stuff whilst relying on the fact that most people will just pay up and say nothing. I'm not saying they're all the same but I think it's very much a case of you pays your money, you take your chance.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
England

Post by steveparadox »

Hey Slicker,

following on from what you've said, I recently went back to a more upmarket restaurant that was always the bench mark of the best curry houses, one which we always said was the pinacle of good curry cuisine. It's sad to say but I was really disappointed and I actually felt very sad inside! There are only a few places that have never disappointed (this WAS one) and I hate to think at how many curry houses I have been to now! Funilly enough, one of the places that has still never disappointed is actually very cheap and what I would imagine to be more of an old school curry house.

Also, if a Balti triangle visit is on the cards, at a weekend, I might possibly be able to make it as I might be able to arrange to crash over in the Moseley area :thumbup:

TiptonNick - I was tempted to try Westy's Madras previously, a bit high on the oil for me though maybe it would work with less oil - I note the 125ml is for two people.
TiptonNick
SERRANO
SERRANO
England

Post by TiptonNick »

I'm obviously easier pleased then because I enjoyed it. :thumbup:

However, I will say that if you follow certain recipes on here then you'll cook curries to restaurant standard and that, forcing comparisons, may be part of the problem. I had a curry from a local takeaway before Christmas and carried it home like a child with a new toy with anticipation of greatness. Only to open and taste and realise that the balti I cooked from this site knocked the spots of it in pretty much every department. In terms of appreciating food cooked by 'professionals' we've become uber critics and very much victims of our own success. And long may it continue! I still enjoy the occasion of 'going for a curry' though.

Steve, I only ever use 1.5 chef's spoons of oil in the curry cooking stage. That's maximum as I don't like oily curries.