• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access most sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

CA's Curry Base (a.k.a. Gravy, Sauce, Garabi, etc)

Recipes for curry bases
Forum rules
Please post in one of the sub-sections of the forum below. Please DO NOT post a New Topic in this section of the forum (which is an Index only)

Having tried this recipe, how would you rate it (on a scale of 1 to 5)?

1. Very Poor (I would prefer a curry out of a jar)
No votes
2. Poor (worse than most British Indian Restaurants)
1%
3. Good (as good as many British Indian Restaurants)
30%
4. Very Good (better than most British Indian Restaurants)
25%
5. Excellent (up there with the best British Indian Restaurants)
44%

Total votes: 81

viafax999
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Jalfrezi

Re: CA's Curry Base (a.k.a. Gravy, Sauce, Garabi, etc)

Post by viafax999 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Are coriander roots common in the UK? What do they taste like? are they sold separately or attached to Coriander plants?
A local market here sometimes sells Cilantro with roots attached. I like everybody else I know have always cut off the roots and binned them so apparently I have been wasting some product.

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:10 am

Suggest that you search the forum (see the search box at the top rhs of each page - and check some of the earlier posts in this thread), viafax, you will find existing threads and posts on the topic.
CA (aka Admin) :)

Indian_chef@heart
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Indian_chef@heart » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Please forgive the silly question but would it be OK to add less water than stated and make the curry base as stated, but when it comes to making a curry I add the necessary volume of water? I was just thinking of doing this to save space in the freezer.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 am

Don't know, maybe (but I wouldn't). Maybe try it and find out? You will find discussions on doing it in Chat About Curry Bases/Methods

dumbpotato
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: phall, pasanda, korma

Post by dumbpotato » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:29 pm

I've made this curry base several times, and because it works so well, I am reluctant to try other recipes. Off to get the supplies for another—this time double—batch! Thank you for sharing your recipe :thumbup:

aushy
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by aushy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:08 am

I made a half batch of this on the weekend. It only yielded 2.1L though instead of the 3. I'm not sure why, the lid was on so evaporation wasn't the issue. I ended up measuring out into 300-350mL portions as normal. Should I have added water first to bring it up to the 3L?
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am

If it's of the correct consistency (i.e. that of thin soup), then it should be fine. And it looks fine, to me, aushy...although it's obviously hard to tell from a photo.

JalfreziT
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by JalfreziT » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:18 am

dumbpotato wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:29 pm
I've made this curry base several times, and because it works so well, I am reluctant to try other recipes.
Me too! I'm just browsing base recipes for today's 10 litre batch, and 90% of the time I end up with this one.
They've been cooking on Blue Peter, now they're sampling the dishes,
I don't normally like tomatoes John but this is delicious.

Bandit
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Jalfrezi, Pathia, Ceylon.

Post by Bandit » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:03 am

Hi JT

Nothing wrong with sticking with what you now, I would be reluctant to try a new gravy recipe if I was making a 10 litre batch just in case it didn't suit but everyone has different tastes and preferred flavours.

It's good to experiment if you have the time and in smaller batches

Bandit

ARenko
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by ARenko » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Been mostly a lurker since joining a few years ago, and haven't cooked much Indian in a while. Made this base curry today (method 1) and looking forward to trying it out.

Regarding method 1 vs method 2 - I think method 2 may be better if you have an electric stove (as I do). I've gotten pretty good and controlling things on an electric stove (coming from gas), but it's not always easy. When stirring the gravy today after getting it up to simmer I felt a few spots on the bottom with carmelized bits. Not much, so I'm not too worried, but it could be an easy way to make the gravy bitter/ burnt tasting. Next time I might try method 2 where I can more closely observe/ control the frying of the spices, garlic, and ginger.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks for your feedback, I'd be interested to hear how you feel the two methods compare, for you, should you try them both......

Red_Snappa
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Red_Snappa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 pm

Hi CA
After 3 yrs, I'm interested to hear if this is still the base gravy that you use for your curries (from page 1) ....or are you on to iteration #201?? :hmmm:
"Confucius, he say....swinging chain mean warm seat..."

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:34 am

Yes, I'm probably on iteration 2001, by now! But I generally use my pressure cooker base, nowadays. It's simple and quick (given access to a pressure cooker) and gives decent results (as does this one).

I'm still hoping that someone, sometime, will post a pukka BIR curry base that genuinely enables pukka BIR-style curries to be obtained (i.e. not just "nice" curries which "resemble" them). Alas, I think I might be hoping in vain.....

British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras

Post by British Indian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 am

Not necessarily CA.

As you know I have messed around with many base recipes with differing results. I settled back on your original recipe and I cook a few curries at least once a fortnight. I occasionally experiment (particularly after chatting with a restaurant owner in Manchester last year).

Just last week, my wife was enjoying the remains of a 3 day old leftover Madras ( CA original base) and she commented how nice it was. I dipped a piece of (3 day old) Naan into the sauce to try it and I commented that it was just like a “bought one” back in the day.

Now either my taste buds were on very good form, or we are genuinely knocking out some really good curries. Also, the naan that I cook on a tawa is as good as many restaurants and better than some.

I think we are much closer to restaurant standard food than we give ourselves credit for.

And just to point out, every base I have cooked has been using a pressure cooker.