• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access most sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

CA's Curry Base (a.k.a. Gravy, Sauce, Garabi, etc)

Recipes for curry bases
Forum rules
Please post in one of the sub-sections of the forum below. Please DO NOT post a New Topic in this section of the forum (which is an Index only)

Having tried this recipe, how would you rate it (on a scale of 1 to 5)?

1. Very Poor (I would prefer a curry out of a jar)
No votes
2. Poor (worse than most British Indian Restaurants)
1%
3. Good (as good as many British Indian Restaurants)
30%
4. Very Good (better than most British Indian Restaurants)
25%
5. Excellent (up there with the best British Indian Restaurants)
44%

Total votes: 81

GaryAM
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Re: CA's Curry Base (a.k.a. Gravy, Sauce, Garabi, etc)

Post by GaryAM » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:49 pm

I've just finished the base and it looks great, I want to say thanks to CA for this, the full and clearly explained recipe, and not a commercial brand spice mix in sight.

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 am

Thanks, Gary 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)

Smeghead
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Smeghead » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:15 am

Went to make anther of SB's Pudina Gosht last night only to find I'd run out of base.

AH, time to make a big batch again.
Have tried a few different ones but found this to have the easiest method (1) for such great results.
Thanks again

Wal
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Wal » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:39 pm

First batch of CA's base, seemed to be allot of oil in, does this separate when cooking with it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:45 pm

I'm jealous of your oil separation! I would skim some off and use in cooking the final curries, it's BIR gold

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:31 pm

It looks fine, Wal. I suggest that you stir it back into the base (rather than "denude" the base my removing it) and, if you skim any off, skim it from the final curries.

Wal
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Wal » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks Cory Ander, that's what I did, once blended it all came together, the only other base I have made was from Al's kitchen which used less oil and seemed to be a bit thicker after blending, looking forward to trying it soon, it smelt delicious.

stevec
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by stevec » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:29 pm

hi as a newbie can i ask why the potatoes never knew these were in a curry base

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:16 am

stevec
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by stevec » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:29 pm

thanks CA

stevec
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by stevec » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Made this for first time today ,went on to use it to make your chicken buhna winner , comment of youngest son tasted just like an Indian thanks

yumsome
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Aloo masala, dal fry

Post by yumsome » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 am

I don't consume any animal products but I'm guessing that reduced coconut or cashew milk would work just as well, wouldn't it, Cory?

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:32 am

Probably, but I'd probably just leave it our (assuming that you're referring to the evaporated milk?).

yumsome
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by yumsome » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Wouldn't leaving it out altogether make it less creamy though? I can feel an experimentation session coming on!

seafret
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken madras, King prawn bhuna, mushroom pakoras

Post by seafret » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Evaporated milk definitely makes it slightly creamy but no harm in using coconut, cashew or almond milk. Could be reduced to a thickish consistency. Reckon it would be delicious! Let us know how it goes.
Free poppadoms and pickles with orders over £15. Tuesday nights only before 6pm.

yumsome
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by yumsome » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:41 pm

I definitely will, Seafret! I'm moving home next Saturday, so the following Monday, I plan to hit the market, and start experimenting. Watch this space (or one very similar)! :D

blodwyn
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by blodwyn » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 pm

I cooked the first batch of this curry base using method 1 (CB1), and having used up all but 1 portion I just cooked up another batch using method 2 (CB2). I then cooked two of the simple madras curries. each using one of the curry bases so I could compare.

Of course there are a number of variables in what I did, like the freshly prepared CB2 versus the frozen-and-thawed CB1, slight unintended variations in the cooking technique, slight variations in the raw ingredients used for CB1 and CB2, etc. My conclusion was that both were very good, however CB2 (method 2) resulted in a slightly smoother and better balanced flavour. Given that there's not any significant extra work associated with using method 2, I think I'll make it my standard method from now on.

Also I have a shout-out to the Vitamix blenders. Not sure how common they are outside of the USA, but they come with a 7 year warranty, and are built for heavy duty use. The accompanying recipe book has recipes for making soup, in which you leave the blender running on high speed for 10 minutes or more, which heats the soup up to boiling point just from the blending action. This means I don't have to worry about cooling the curry base before I blend it, although I have to be extra careful not to shoot boiling hot liquid all over the kitchen. These blenders are built like the proverbial, and make short work of pretty much anything. They're not cheap, but good stuff usually isn't cheap.

Cheers
b.

Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Garam » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks for posting this. For what it's worth, although I use my own base, I have been using a method similar to method 2 for some time. It is now my standard technique for whatever base I cook and I support your findings. I too have cooked the same base using different methods and feel that method 2 gives a better balanced and smoother result, at least for me !

Chris P Bacon
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Dhansak

Post by Chris P Bacon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:00 am

So I finally bought everything I need to start currying. Aluminium wok (have lots of non-aluminium pans and needed a wok, read it works fine so thought to kill two birds with one stone), stock pot, hand blender (Bosch £22.99 from Argos 600w id recommend), a hell of a lot of spices as I literally had none in the pantry. Had quite a lot of fun navigating Veenas Cash and Carry in ilford with everything I'd ever need there.

First up is of course the base gravy and i decided to jump right into CA's recipe rather than the beginner's version. I followed method 1 almost to the T but scaled down for 4L gravy. I must admit I'm not sure what it's meant to taste like and realise that you'll only really know if you've done a good job once you've used it in a curry, but I'm really pleased with the outcome.

A picture timeline of my attempt:
YS1JcCf.jpg1.jpg
I6HpPIE.jpg2.jpg
Avh7ikb.jpg3.jpg
43xMwx6.jpg4.jpg
BwxfU6t.jpg5.jpg
8mT9eZY.jpg6.jpg
I used coriander stalks rather than roots because I couldn't find roots and I probably made a mistake there. When blending the stalks turned very stringy and clumped together, getting stuck in the brand new blender and all sorts. When I was done blending I had a taste and could feel the stringy texture so had to sieve the mixture. Once I was done I was left with a hair ball looking clump, I'm so glad I decided to sieve because he consistency is so much better now. Perhaps I've lost some flavour there but all a learning curve. Maybe I should have finely chopped the stalks rather than just dropping them in whole.

It's now being left to cool and I'll then split it into 330ml portions and freeze in ziplock bags.

Looking forward to making CA's dansahk and Rshome's saag paneer hopefully over the weekend. I will of course note my journey on those as well.

A big thank you to BIR curries forum for everything!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Admin on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: external link to images replaced with uploaded images

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:05 am

Well done and thanks for reporting back with photos 8-)

It looks OK, to me. Shame that you blender is struggling to blend the coriander stalks (no mistake using them). Perhaps leave it longer (for them to soften) before blending? Or chop them finer before adding them? Not a bad idea to sieve it (as you did).