• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access most sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

CA's Curry Base (a.k.a. Gravy, Sauce, Garabi, etc)

Recipes for curry bases
Forum rules
Please post in one of the sub-sections of the forum below. Please DO NOT post a New Topic in this section of the forum (which is an Index only)

Having tried this recipe, how would you rate it (on a scale of 1 to 5)?

1. Very Poor (I would prefer a curry out of a jar)
No votes
2. Poor (worse than most British Indian Restaurants)
1%
3. Good (as good as many British Indian Restaurants)
30%
4. Very Good (better than most British Indian Restaurants)
25%
5. Excellent (up there with the best British Indian Restaurants)
44%

Total votes: 81

Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Re: CA's Curry Base (a.k.a. Gravy, Sauce, Garabi, etc)

Post by Alchemist » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 am

Evap milk point specifically here (It's a very long thread!)

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:46 am

Well, I do also give a rationale for the changes in the third (i.e. my second) post of this thread...
CA (aka Admin) :)

Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Garam » Sun May 29, 2016 9:21 am

Being new to the forum I havn't tried the base, but it is interesting to me that you present the two methods of preparing the base. I now make nearly all my bases using what is in effect your method 2. I have come to believe the base gains freshness by cooking the Ginger/ Garlic puree, spices and tomato puree in a separate pan and adding them once the main ingredients onions, peppers etc have completed their 'stage one cooking'. If fresh tomatoes are used in the base and/ or tinned tomatoes these are blended and also cooked in the separate pan with the spices - normal sequence oil, garlic/ ginger puree, tomato (blended),spices taking care not to burn any of the ingredients and adding a little of the stage one liquid if the mixture starts to dry out. I normally cook the combined base for a further 30 minutes or so after adding the pan contents to the cooked stage 1 ingredients and until I see oil separation.
Just my take on things. In particular I feel tomato added too early on in a base can have a negative 'stewed' effect.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sun May 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Interesting comments, Garam, would you like to post your curry base recipe so that we could give it a bash, please?

Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Garam » Sun May 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Yes, will do but its not a million miles from your own. Method as I described (your method 2), use carrot but not potato (not tried potato in the base but very interested in doing so). I do not like too much oil in the base typically 200 - 250 ml for 1.5 kg onion (peeled weight). I tend to start a base stage 1 with say 80% of the total oil content plus a little water (the other 20% of the oil for the pan fry bit). I am a firm believer that a base should be a base and not overpower the final curry. To me technique/ ingredients in making the final curry is the most important factor - unless the technique is correct the final result wont be correct. I found Julian Voigts vol2 book the most helpful in this regard. I have made some really nice curry's using the Khris Dillon base - a base which I have often seen criticised on various forums but it does allow flexibility in the final dish.

sonicated
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by sonicated » Sun May 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks so much for this CA, I was hoping this base gravy would remind me of the takeaway 20 years ago but it actually smells better than the one I remember! I cooked it last night and liquidised this evening and it's currently bubbling away on the second cook - I think sauces like this always taste better the second time.

I can't wait to make a curry with it. I asked my wife if the house smells like a restaurant and she said it smells so much nicer!

Regarding the evaporated milk, from the label on the can, to turn it into whole milk you just need to add 1.5 times the amount of water. Therefore could 250ml of whole milk be used (that we always have in the fridge) and just reduce the water by 150ml or does the evaporation process add something?

It took a good 20 hours to cool to room temperature today so I wonder if it would be a good idea to set this expectation in the ebook?

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon May 30, 2016 2:18 am

Thanks for your feedback, please let us know how you get on with your main dish curries (in the appropriate threads, of course)....photos always welcome 8-)

I see no reason why you shouldn't try replacing the evaporated milk and some of the water with normal milk and see how you like it. Having said that, evaporated milk is quite different (taste wise) to normal milk. But let us know if you do try it...

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the ebook, we'll make a note of it for future revisions (should there be any).

Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Garam » Tue May 31, 2016 3:49 am

Love your e-book - I have the kindle version. Could I just clarify the quantity of the garlic and ginger puree used in the base. The recipe as written on here says 100g fresh garlic peeled and pureed. The kindle version 100g garlic puree. Does the 100g refer to the finished puree or the weight of the garlic before adding water and making the puree. ? Similarly with the ginger. Many thanks
John

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Tue May 31, 2016 6:34 am

Good question. I generally add a weight of puree but either will do. I doubt you'd notice much of a difference.

Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Garam » Tue May 31, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks CA much appreciated.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Tue May 31, 2016 11:14 am

sonicated wrote:It took a good 20 hours to cool to room temperature today so I wonder if it would be a good idea to set this expectation in the ebook?
I should say that you don't need to cool the curry base to room temperature; you just need to cool it sufficiently so that you can blend it without damaging your stick blender or without it exploding everywhere (and possibly injuring yourself) if you use a jug blender. It blends better if it's still reasonably warm (but not scorching hot!)....maybe 60-70C, or so....

sonicated
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by sonicated » Tue May 31, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks CA. Stews, ragus, chilli con carne and curries always taste better to me the next day, quite a few people online seem to agree. I usually make these the day before and reheat them. I think this is why I like BIR curries so much as you get the stew flavour from the gravy and the freshness from the fresh ingredients.
Last edited by sonicated on Tue May 31, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garam
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Garam » Tue May 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Just hold say a litre of water back from one of the earlier stages where the bulk of the water is added and add back in prior to blending. This will give you a quick cool down.

jezbot
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by jezbot » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:39 am

Brilliant! What a simple solution. thank you.

rwoollins
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by rwoollins » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Halved the quantities for my first set of base!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

seafret
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken madras, King prawn bhuna, mushroom pakoras

Post by seafret » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Great job rw! You're on your way now. :cool2:
Free poppadoms and pickles with orders over £15. Tuesday nights only before 6pm.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:32 pm

Good effort, rwoolins, you're now committed to making stacks of BIR curry! :thumbup:

Boost_Lee
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Boost_Lee » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Made a batch of this today. I halved all the ingredients though. Really enjoyed the curry I made with it. Very nice work sir, thanks for sharing your recipe :thumbup:

Spellbound
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Spellbound » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:24 pm

Are the weights before or after peeling for things like onion, potatoes etc?

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:14 am

All weights are after peeling, topping and tailing, etc, Spellbound.