• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

October's Curry Club Curry of the Month is adeypayne's Shatkora (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

How Helpful do You Find This Beginners Guide? [poll]

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).

How Helpful do You Find This Beginners Guide?

a) Extremely helpful
82%
b) Quite helpful
18%
c) Neither helpful nor unhelpful
No votes
c) Quite unhelpful
No votes
b) Not helpful
No votes

Total votes: 28

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

How Helpful do You Find This Beginners Guide? [poll]

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Just another reality check (and it will be sure to infuriate those who seem to be averse to such polls to solicit opinions), but how helpful do you find this Beginners Guide? Please feel free to elaborate by voting and posting in this thread. Also, please feel free to suggest ways in which our Beginners Guide can improved and be made to be more helpful to those relatively new to cooking BIR-style curries....
Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

rsaha
SERRANO
SERRANO

Re: How Helpful do You Find This Beginners Guide?

Post by rsaha » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:57 pm

This is a good, solid place to start. The only thing I think might be missing is a detailing of all the ingredients that come up. I can remember trying to figure out Kashmiri vs deggi mirch. I never knew Indian bay was different from European bay until I stumbled across a note in one of rshome's recipes. Celyon cinnamon vs cassia. Gram flour. Besan. Black salt. I think that basic knowledge we all take for granted having hunted around Indian groceries is something the newcomer would not have...

Simpatico
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by Simpatico » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Very helpful, great place to start always try to walk before you can run

MrChilliLover
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by MrChilliLover » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Very helpful ,especially as there is so much information on here

GreblerGbg
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by GreblerGbg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm

I agree with everyone above, the guide is very helpful. Have tried to cook curries from different books before but none of them mentioned the techniques described in the guide.

Whitey549
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Re: How Helpful do You Find This Beginners Guide? [poll]

Post by Whitey549 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:07 am

Very helpful content especially the basic method for most meals. The pics really help. I think I've been wasting time following the recipes from the books.

PopSky
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by PopSky » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm

I find it extremely helpful, although looking at work does make me a tad hungry!

djrogers1
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by djrogers1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm

This guide is indeed quite useful for newbies like me. I particularly like the base gravy and spice mix sections. I only wish there was a saag recipe as lamb saagwala and chicken saagwala are two of my favorite dishes.
East Tennessee Chef Wannabe :shock:

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 am

You will find those recipes in the relevant recipe sections (now that you have made 3 posts)...
Regards

djrogers1
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by djrogers1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Excellent! Thanks, Cory. :thumbup:
East Tennessee Chef Wannabe :shock:

One Keema Naan
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Naga Masala

Post by One Keema Naan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Let me put it like this, I've attempted BIR style cooking before using advice from other sites and from hard copy books I've bought at chilli-fests and the like.

Using this guide is the first time I've got results I'm even vaguely satisfied with. My cookery is still a WIP but I'm happy so far.

thebeermonkey
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Lamb Kahari, Lamb Nihari, Lamb Madras

Post by thebeermonkey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 pm

The beginners guide information is excellent.

It is accessible, clearly laid out and very easy to follow.

It makes a novice like myself’s first few steps into the world of BIR curry cooking much more straightforward than I thought it would be and therefore the experience more enjoyable and the outcomes more consistent.

Practice makes perfect and the guide was a great place to start and build up my BIR curry confidence.

Hats off. :thumbup:
I came for a visit but decided to stay.

Madddras
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by Madddras » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am

This seems like the perfect amount of material to get the ball rolling. Too much info/complexity can be daunting!

It's clear and concise, and I especially love the features/process/technique parts. Alot of info in there most teachers would overlook, or perhaps not mention. Despite the important of understanding 'why' things are done in a certain way.

Cannot wait to go shopping :D

Jay

dannymccaff
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by dannymccaff » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Very helpful. I find the depth of explanations that people provide amazing. Very grateful for people who take the time to help others.
:thumbup:

Danjamuk
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Danjamuk » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:10 pm

I once thought it would be easy to replicate my favourite curry but after trying I soon realized there was so much more to it.

The information here goes along way to helping perfect the BIR curry experience cooked by my fair hands.

So much excellent information here.

Tony

LordGeorgie
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Dhansak

Post by LordGeorgie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Great information thank you

ajfcb10911
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by ajfcb10911 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:09 pm

Tikka masala recipe would be nice. Also unsure of things like tandoori masala and coconut flour.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:25 am

This Beginners' Guide section of the forum is for members who are unfamiliar with cooking BIR-style curries and is intended to be a "Quick Start" to help new members get started (without having to make the requisite number of posts to access the main recipe sections of the forum).

You will find hundreds of other recipes plus the answers to your questions in the main recipe and chat sections of the forum. The Frequently Asked Questions may help point you in the right direction. Or try searching the forum (using the "Search" function at the top right hand side of each page).
Regards

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”