• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

August's Curry Club Curry of the Month is andrw's Chicken Vindaloo (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Simple Chicken Madras

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Re: Simple Chicken Madras

Post by Alchemist » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:21 pm

Good news, thanks for reporting back.

Adam5185
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Adam5185 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Great recipe thanks.

mishking
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by mishking » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Made this last week and it was very easy and tasted very nice!!

razor400
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by razor400 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:35 pm

I tried this recipe and loved it, I added a bit of garam masala and some fresh chillies but apart from that followed the recipe. It was the best curry I've ever made :yahoo: and the first that tasted authentic BIR. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Can't wait to try some other recipes and seriously need a good phal recipe.
Cheers

andymarginman
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by andymarginman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:48 pm

:yahoo: this is the recippee I use all the time brilliant

Kennyg
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Chicken balti

Post by Kennyg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi I have tried putting onion sauce in seems to make a big difference :thumbup:

Ffishboy
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Ffishboy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:18 pm

My favourite curry so looking forward to giving this recipe a go tomorrow :):

slicker55
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: चिकन मद्रास

Post by slicker55 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Only joined the forum earlier today so here's my first post...

I decided to jump in with both feet by following this beginners recipe.

I am comparing the result to a curry I had last night at a local balti house and I do have to say I'm very impressed!

A really enjoyable Chicken Madras accompanied with Pilau rice (credit to Steven Heap)

and, of course, a nice popadom!
Attachments
IMG_7455.JPG
IMG_7455.JPG (141.71 KiB) Viewed 230 times

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Looks great, slicker, thanks for sharing your results 8-)
Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

Quennevais149
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Quennevais149 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Great Video,
looks pretty straightforward will give this a go tonight.
Step by step pics great as well.

audioq
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by audioq » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Don't know how I missed this video. Looks like a good alternative to the pre cook meat method. Almost exactly 10 mins to cook the chicken. I have probably been overcooking mine although this vid was obviously done on a fairly high heat whereas I tend to pre cook on a simmer but for about 18 mins.

Only question I have is in relation to the order of ingredients. I remember somewhere reading that the tomato paste should be added before the spices so that the acidity of the paste is cooked out first, presumably before it reacts with the spices (?) Could be an old wives tale mind you.

Cheers. Must give this a go.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 am

Not sure that cooking tomatoes/paste will change their acidity, audioq? Would probably need to add something alkaline (like bicarbonate of soda) to do that? However, it is a sensible way to avoid burning the spices (for those that are afraid of doing so). Otherwise, I'm not sure that there's a discernible difference between the two methods. It's a good question though, and one we should explore further - I'd suggest in the Sequence for Adding Spices & Ingredients? thread.
Regards

countryboy
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by countryboy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi, I cooked my first simple curry base early this morning, to be honest I thought it was quite straight forward. It did look the business. Now onto the madras curry. I thought the flavour was nice, but it didnt blow my socks off. Also the sauce ended up a bit thick.i was worried about adding to much water as the curry would loose its flavour. Can you add oil to make the curry sauce thinner Thanks

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:37 am

Suggest that you simply add more base and/or reduce it less to get a thinner sauce. Do you have a photo?
Regards

TiptonNick
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Bhuna

Post by TiptonNick » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Made this just using simple base and CAs mix powder which I had left over. Superb curry. I'm making it again later. I'll be adding a teaspoon more chilli powder, chopped coriander stalks (TBSP) and a bit of coconut to the base.

TiptonNick
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Bhuna

Post by TiptonNick » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 am

Made another batch with a small chunk of coconut block added to the hot base. What can I say - absolutely wonderful. For some daft reason I get better results using the simple base than I do with the more complex ones. I think I'll stick with this one now and tweak it here and there until I'm completely satisfied.

Anyway, the Madras I cooked was a tad experimental. I added a tablespoon of chopped (finely) coriander stalks, 4 teaspoons of hot chilli powder and a teaspoon of of Mr Naga pickle - the heat was perfect - hot but tasty with the coconut coming through to compliment. The meat was simply prepared - I added a tablespoon of mix powder to 1.5 litres of water and brought to the boil before adding the chicken and cooking through. Also, I ditched my gas stove in favour of the dreaded ceramic hob - DER DER DERRRRRRRR! To compensate for the lack of heat and response everything was cooked for longer. I also used 600ml of gravy in total. The first ladle full (after roasting) was added and virtually reduced to nothing before scraping the caramelisation into the pan. Another ladle full followed before adding the rest in one go and reducing until the consistency and amount of sauce was what I wanted. The result - a brilliant, hot curry with that T/A taste in abundance. Absolutely delicious and a real confidence booster. A superb madras cooked with a 'simple' base using an electric hob. It can be done with a little tweaking here and there.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 am

Yes, in the right hands, with a bit of experience, the simple curry base is quite capable of giving very good results. As is this simple madras recipe. Do you have any photos of your madras that you can share?
Regards

countryboy
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by countryboy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Cory Ander
Thanks for your reply. I watched your video to, so next time around I will take your advice.
Have I got a photo, steady does it. Once I got my head around this web site, and producing regular curries, I will upload some pictures.
Thanks

countryboy
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by countryboy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi.
Having watched Cory Anders video, one thing that he mentioned was, it's not necessary to pre-cook chicken and it's better cooked from raw anyway. And the reason are, that in a take away they need to be careful about food poisoning, and that's why they pre-cook. I love that comment. I hate the thought of pre-cooking chicken, much sooner cook from raw.
Thanks

Angelstar
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Angelstar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Fantastic! just the recipe I was looking for... we will be cooking this tomorrow :yes:

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”