NEWS FLASH:

We are pleased to announce that this board has been upgraded to the most current version of software. This not only provides better security but also enables new features to be implemented which will hopefully enhance the experience of our members. We hope you continue to enjoy the forum (please let Admin know if you encounter any problems when using the board).

Simple Chicken Madras

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).
Wrongway
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Dupiaza, Madras

Re: Simple Chicken Madras

Post by Wrongway » Tue May 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Going to try this for tomorrow evening. This will be my first recipe that I will have tried from here. Apart from the base gravy I will be making tonight. Looking forward to trying it and will report back on the results. It looks like the base gravy recipe is for a single portion. I presume I just scale up if I want bigger quantities.

pauly
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by pauly » Tue May 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Please do report back Wrongway, my advice on scaling up recipes is don't , if you are new to this style of cooking.

However, other folks have different opinions Scaling Recipes this may be of help to you.

Wrongway
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Dupiaza, Madras

Post by Wrongway » Tue May 30, 2017 7:04 pm

I might not need to scale up :): I have just commented on the pressure cooker curry base thread as I have an electric one. Going by the recipe there I wont need to scale up and it eliminates using the induction hob.

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 am

That's right, Wrongway, this curry base recipe is deliberately "small-scale" for beginners to get to grips with (without having to make an enormous quantity). There are many bigger scale recipes in the Curry Base Recipes section of the forum.
Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

Curry monster
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Curry monster » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:32 pm

Have definatly caught the curry bug, gone down with it quite bad. Was away over the week end and my trusty frying pan and his mates chilly and mixed powder came for the journey. Cooked up the simple Madras. One portion to your recipe CA but using TRS mild curry powder and a base that I had previously found on youtube, and the second with a quarter of the chilli powder for Mrs Monsters delicate pallet, both of us really enjoyed the meal. Served with Sainsburys taste the difference basmati rice( not sure there was any difference, have now started reading the rice threads) and a Lidl mini Peshwari nan generously covered with butter. Was initally surprised at the amount of oil that was used but as the first portion was left to rest in the oven and I cooked the second it was easy to pore the off as it had floated the the top of the oven dish. Both myself and Mrs Monster had a go with the camera I think she may have just clinched the winning pic, I'll let everyone else decide.
To sum up great tasting curry, few ingredients made preparation relatively quick, definatly gets the thumbs up. Cooked it again tonight will report back asap. Looking forward to the next recipe with more dimentions to the flavour.
Attachments
Madras 1.jpg
Mr Monster
OI000001.jpg
Mrs Monster
OI000001.jpg (155.87 KiB) Viewed 120 times

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:51 am

Great looking curry, Curry Monster, nice colour, texture and oil separation 8-)

PS: Would be interested to hear how you find it using the specified spice mix and curry base.

PPS: You will probably find that you develop "more dimensions to the flavour" of the/a curry by playing with the cooking technique (i.e. rather than by using a more complex recipe).
Regards

Curry monster
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Curry monster » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks .CA

I think I'll be moving forward and trying one of the other recipe for base and mixed powder. But I will use them to remake the simple Madras to see how the effect the flavour. Can you recommend any to look at ready for the weekend and should I report back here with the results?

Re: more dimensions
What I did notice was how the finely chopped ginger ( small cubes 2mm x2mm) add a nice flavour to the dish, you notice small piece ever so often in the sause like you notice a cardamom seed in other dishes. This is not so apparent when using a paste. l will experiment with this in other dishes.

ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken, Tandoori Lamb Tikka, Veggie

Post by ScotchBonnet » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 am

Very, very good looking curry. There is no "best" mix powder or base gravy. Generally you'll find that a particular curry recipe works best with the author's own mix powder and base gravy since they have balanced everything out but experimentation is well worth while as it might result in the best taste as far as you are concerned - basically it's a personal taste thing rather than being particularly scientific or formulaic.

I notice that you appear to be drinking Biere de Flandres which is actually brewed in Scotland and that the Flemish drink "Scottish-style" beer that is brewed in Flanders. Either way, a good choice of accompanying drink.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:41 am

Which is Your Favourite Spice Mix Recipe on This Forum? and Which is Your Favourite Curry Base Recipe on This Forum? might be of assistance, Curry Monster.

Certainly, please let us know how you get on and please feel free to provide your feedback in what you consider to be the most appropriate thread (e.g. in this thread, if you re-make this recipe).
Regards

Dogsterr2111
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Bhoona, Vindaloo, Nentara

Post by Dogsterr2111 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Looks fantastic, how do you achieve that flocked, fluffy texture in the sauce?

David
I would walk a lamb Bhuna up the aisle

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 am

Just follow the recipe and ensure that you cook it properly, Dogsterr. The more you reduce it, the more "flocculated" it will be and the more oil separation there will be.

Techniques of BIR Cooking might be of help.
Regards

wilf
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by wilf » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 pm

This looks great will be giving this a go later today after stocking up on a few ingredients.

wilf
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by wilf » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:56 am

So made this madras last night and was very impressed with the results, had that classic BIR taste to it and the best curry I have made to date! Had a very good flavour and consistency, looking forward to making it again later this week.

IMG_20170828_214913904.jpg

Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal

Post by Westy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Looks good wilf - nice one :thumbup:
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....

buck1977
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by buck1977 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 am

Fantastic curry made this last night for the family and they loved it :yahoo:

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Looks great, Wilf! 8-)

Any photos, buck?
Regards

lukster
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by lukster » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:14 pm

20171201_170603_opt.jpg
20171201_170603_opt.jpg (64.23 KiB) Viewed 42 times
:thumbup: Excellent recipe. I've made this twice now and both times it was delicious and amazingly quick and easy. A major reason it's been a success is not just the recipe but the author: the instructions are extremely clear and precise, great step by step guide, photos, can't go wrong. Thank you!!!

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:01 am

Well done, lukster; glad you've had some success and that you liked it. Thanks for providing your feedback and photo 8-)
Regards

Mickyw53
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Anything flavourful and hot

Post by Mickyw53 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

I have my base made and ready to make this recipe tonight, however i've discovered I only have Fenugreek Seeds .......... should I just leave out or replace with something else? -

Just found the thread and got my answer - guess i'll leave them out

Mickyw53
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Anything flavourful and hot

Post by Mickyw53 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 pm

First ever attempt at BIR Madras - didn't have Fenugreek so ommitted. Added onion, capsicum, mushrooms and cheery tomatoes as I like veg in my curry. Good flavour, texture and consistency - would increase chilli powder next time to suit my taste.

Any recommendations on a recipe to try next?
Attachments
madras 1.jpg

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”