NEWS FLASH:

We are pleased to announce that this board has been upgraded to the most current version of software. This not only provides better security but also enables new features to be implemented which will hopefully enhance the experience of our members. We hope you continue to enjoy the forum (please let Admin know if you encounter any problems when using the board).

Simple Chicken Madras

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).
Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Re: Simple Chicken Madras

Post by Cory Ander » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Hi Micky,

Thanks for your feedback and photo.

Probably a good idea to stick exactly with the recipe, at least to begin with. Adding mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and peppers will change things quite significantly (e.g. they will release quite a lot of water which will significantly change the texture and taste of the resultant curry).

Suggest you check Which is Your Favourite Main Dish Recipe on This Forum? for for further recipe suggestions.
Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

mrdanbaird
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by mrdanbaird » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:41 am

IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG (93.49 KiB) Viewed 128 times
Made this tonight with a few changes. I used a BIR base gravy from YouTube and a Madras curry mix from an Indian store. The results were good but think I had a few issues:

- I used an omelette pan and found there was too much meat which crowded the pan. Made it a bit of a pain to stir easily. I might get a bigger pan in future (or use less meat), American chicken breasts seem to be huge in comparison to British ones.
- When browning the meat, the pan filled with a ton of fat from the chicken being cooked. I ended up dumping it and replacing it with fresh oil as it seemed to be too fatty.

I feel like those issues didn't allow me to cook the spices as well as I could have. Still, it tasted good, but I'm more partial to a sweeter / creamy curry, was tempted to add some cream but held off to see what it'd be like without.

mapes12
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Bhuna, Chicken Dupiaza

Post by mapes12 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 am

It looks good to me mrdanbaird. Try a bigger pan or less meat. Non stick is not ideal as it hinders the caramelisation process. Standard aluminium is best for this. In the final stage of cooking use a high heat and avoid stirring it to get the caramelisation going. This is my version for a mild, creamy curry: viewtopic.php?f=213&t=8205

pauly
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by pauly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks for reporting back mrdanbaird.

Why not try it again, cutting the chicken back to 200g & using the base gravy & mix powder CA suggests ? If you really prefer a sweeter, creamy curry, then perhaps a Korma, Passanda or Ceylon might suit you better.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks for posting your results, dan, it looks like a reasonable curry 8-)

As you (and others) have noted, you might like to try the specified curry base (which did you use?) and spice mix. They can have a significant effect on the end result (for better or for worse). As also noted, it's best to follow the recipe exactly (including using 200g of chicken breast), particularly when starting out and when making a recipe for the fist time. Changing things is bound to change the final result (for better or for worse). Looks like the quantity you end up with is far more than in the recipe? Also, nothing particularly wrong with using a non-stick omelette pan; just make sure you don't overload it.

Regarding creamier curries, perhaps you'd like to try the Simple Chicken Korma in our Beginners' Guide or one of the curries from the Mild Main Dish Curry Recipes section of the forum?
Regards

mrdanbaird
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by mrdanbaird » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Cheers for the feedback. I'll definitely use less chicken next time. I freeze my chicken per breast, and as I said one chicken breast is pretty huge in the states, so I'll know to use less next time. It didn't taste bad, was just a pain in the ar*e to stir with so much chicken in there! There aren't many things I can make at the moment as I'm pretty restricted by my ingredients. Wanting to make a korma, but can't find a reasonable sized packet of crushed almonds over here! It's always like a massive bag for $10.

One Keema Naan
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by One Keema Naan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Did this tonight using CA's pressure cooker base and no.1 mix powder. Used a mixture of vegetable oil and ghee with just a smidge of mustard oil. The only change I made was adding a couple of blitzed finger chillies at the same stage as the garlic/ginger mix. I use Kashmiri Powder so I tend to add some fresh chilli for 'oomph'. Served it up and the Mrs reckoned it could definitely have come from the local TA. She doesn't give compliments lightly either!

I'm glad it worked out so well because I also had two disasters, pilau rice in the PC... Twice tested recipe, twice perfect, came out in a solid mass. I either mismeasured something or hit the wrong PC program button. And Roti, first attempt at these on my newly acquired tawa, were one step down from perfect coming off the tawa, had a wee sample and it tasted perfect but I need to work on my rotating to make sure the whole thing gets even heat. However I set them aside, foil wrapped for about half an hour while I made the Madras and when I served them they were cardboard. Inedible.

So a very tasty Madras-ish with microwave basmati but I'll count it as a minor success!

Thanks to CA for the recipes!

ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken, Tandoori Lamb Tikka, Veggie

Post by ScotchBonnet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:14 am

Glad to hear you are getting good results with your curries. If you must do your rice in the PC then try the "pot-in-pot" method. Personally, for pilau I just cook plain boiled rice and cool / dry it in the fridge then spruce it up with oil and spices in a big pan.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".

Juzzadona
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Juzzadona » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Looks so easy. Me and the Mrs love a hot curry so this will definitely be the first dish.

Seabass
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Seabass » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Wow those look good.

:thumbup:

geetee
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Jalfrezi, Goan pork vindaloo, lamb biriyani

Post by geetee » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:40 am

The ingredients are really basic yet the results seem to be on point. As a beginner I will try this and hope it tastes as good as the photos look. However, I've never found chicken breast to have much taste at all. Would it be heresy to use chicken thighs or does the power of the spices override whichever chicken meat is used?

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:09 am

Chicken thighs will be fine, geetee. Please let us know how you find it...
Regards

geetee
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Jalfrezi, Goan pork vindaloo, lamb biriyani

Post by geetee » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:59 am

Made this recipe and it came out exactly as shown and looked the business, my wife was well impressed and thought it tasted great. I, however, am my worst critic and felt that it lacked a depth of flavour that garam masala or curry mix might bring. Thankfully I mastered the basic technique and am now ready to move on to the more advanced recipes of gravies and mixes in search of something closer to what I remember from "back home". I used chicken breast because that is what is called for and because I wanted to do it exactly as written. Next time I'll try the more tastier skinless, boneless thighs even though it's not traditional. Onward and upward!

Leeroy
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Leeroy » Thu May 03, 2018 1:14 pm

I had a go at this last night, albeit with a base I already had and some pre-cooked chicken.

It's pretty similar to the method I follow for madras, with the exception of sugar which I've never used before. It definetely added something extra so will be using that from now on.

ernest
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by ernest » Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 am

Made this last night and I was reasonably impressed with the result.
I'm looking forward to trying some of the other recipes.
Attachments
Curry.jpg

pauly
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by pauly » Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for posting your results ernest, looks very good, nice oil separation.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sat May 26, 2018 7:31 am

Looks good, Earnie, thanks for sharing your results with us 8-)
Regards

British Indian
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by British Indian » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:32 am

Still my favourite curry. Made here (nice and oily) alongside a potato and seekh kebab (leftovers) invention.
Attachments
6EA6AA77-EF9A-4583-BB68-3F6E26B6D032.jpeg
6EA6AA77-EF9A-4583-BB68-3F6E26B6D032.jpeg (117.99 KiB) Viewed 40 times

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 am

Love the colour and texture of the curries, BI. Do you use the recipe, as stated, or do you change anything?
Regards

Chuck Nee
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Lamb Vindaloo and Madras, prefer hotter over sweet

Post by Chuck Nee » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Looks really good Ernie, got my taste buds quivering. My Wife loves butter chicken, it's her fave, I think I'll try to butter her up, you never know the outcome eh? hehe :lol:

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”