• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

December's Curry Club Curry of the Month is Oddbod's Slimline Dhansak (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Simple Chicken Korma

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).
mishking
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Re: Simple Chicken Korma

Post by mishking » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Not normally a fan of korma but i cooked this for my partner and she said it was very good indeed.

razor400
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by razor400 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Had a go at this for the Mrs and kids. Only problem was I used coconut flour instead of coconut milk powder :crazy: , the flavour was spot in and they really liked the way it tasted. However using coconut flour gave it a really porrigey type texture. I'm going to have another go this week though.

Scott
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Scott » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:42 pm

As posted somewhere else thank you the simple korma recipe was great i made it twice the first time as instructed too the second time with half the amount of coconut powder i prefered less coconut

domhoughton
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by domhoughton » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:22 am

Hi all. Have had a hectic few months with one thing or another so haven't been able to get on here, or make any curries for that matter. But I finally have some time again today. Will give the Korma another crack and hopefully it'll be as good as the first time I made it. Last time I'm not sure what I did to screw it up! Admins - if I could get my active status restored as well that would be awesome so that I can have a go at some of the other recipes! Thanks.

gormey
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by gormey » Mon May 15, 2017 5:18 pm

love korma yes

iamacly
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by iamacly » Sun May 28, 2017 2:08 pm

So.....a little disappointed how this turned out. The base gravy looked OK, and ended up as described both in look and taste although it was a little thinner than I would have thought, however the resultant Korma was not so good. It had a sort of pasty "sticky" taste which I think came from the coconut milk powder although I used the exact amount the flavour was close but like I say, a little sticky and pasty tasting.

I may have reduced the curry too much in an effort to thicken it and get the consistency I was looking for but any suggestions on what I may have done wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Not disheartened yet, will try again.
Iamacly

pauly
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by pauly » Sun May 28, 2017 3:56 pm

The consistency of the base really does need to be thin, milk like. It's a matter now of making a Korma to your taste, which is what this all about. Personally, I only add 1tbsp of coconut powder to mine but that is for my taste, well ,my wife's actually. Getting the final consistency of a Korma can be tricky, it seems to thicken up quickly at the end.

Keep at it, thanks for reporting back.

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Wed May 31, 2017 1:04 am

Hi iamacly,

You can "add a little milk (or cream) if you require a thinner consistency" - as described in the recipe post. Alternatively (or as well as), you can try cutting back on the amount of coconut milk powder and/or almond meal.
Please make an effort to make at least 1 meaningful post each time you visit the forum

Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

Curry monster
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Curry monster » Wed May 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Evening All.

Started reading through some threads today. Started at the beginning as recommended by my welcome message. Got to the chicken Korma recipe about the time my belly started to rummble, and so glad I did.
Given more time to choose a curry I would not have chosen a Korma, even more so when you see so few ingredients to make it. I personally could have brushed over a recipe for that reason alone. Lesson learnt. Recipe with fewer ingredients can be as tasty as those with many.
What a pleasant surprise was waiting.
Cooked a double portion to feed two adults. Only had pre cooked chicken so in it went. I'm about 6-8 curries in now so getting braver with the heat. Had the hob up high most of the time. Pre cooked chicken went in at the same stage as the raw chicken should have, it did start to catch on the aluminium pan a bit. I kept moving along with the ingredients fast and as soon as I got some base gravey in there with a bit of scrapping it was off. Hadn't seen the full effects of the caramelisation untill now this sause was attaching itself to the base of the pan and the sides so i had to keep scraping regularly. Added the milk as directed to adjust the consistency toward the end.
Is water an option?
All in all a very enjoyable quick meal.
Keeping it simple I will try the Madras next.

Cheers

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:12 am

Thanks for trying it and reporting back, Curry monster. Did you manage to take a photo (always welcome)?

Yes, you can add water, instead of milk, if you prefer it to be less creamy (I wouldn't). Coconut milk/cream would be another option you could consider.
Please make an effort to make at least 1 meaningful post each time you visit the forum

Regards

Curry monster
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Curry monster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Did n't consider taking a photo this time but the basic madras is on the horizon. Hoping to cook it tomorrow so I will take a photo and have a go of attaching it to the thread.

Shadowhun152
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by Shadowhun152 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 pm

This Korma uses a version of mixed powder which contains Turmeric.
From watching Julian Voigt on YouTube, he said that he isn't aware of any Indian, Pakistani or Bengali chef that uses Turmeric in Korma, due to its bitter flavour.
What are your opinions on this?
I'm trying to replicate the taste of the Korma from my local Curry house, and that has a lovely creamy, sweet flavour, but doesn't seem to have any hint of Turmeric in it.

pauly
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by pauly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 pm

I would suggest you make it & see if you like it, you definitely won't find it bitter.

I would disregard anything Julian Voigt says.

ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken, Tandoori Lamb Tikka, Veggie

Post by ScotchBonnet » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:00 pm

I have been told that I use a lot of fenugreek in my mix powder and that it must make it bitter but several people have said that they really enjoy it after making it. Turmeric isn't bitter unless you use too much of it - but that's just my opinion. The only way to be sure whether you like the dish or not is to make it as per the recipe, not go by what someone else says. Tell the restaurant you are worried about allergies and ask them specifically if it has turmeric in it?

Here's a video of some guy cooking chicken korma. He must be Swedish or something since he has foolishly put turmeric in his curry.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:13 am

My opinion is that a typical BIR korma is, at least in my experience, yellow.

A typical BIR korma is typically made using a typical BIR curry base. And a typical BIR curry base typically contains turmeric (which subsequently colours curries yellow).

Furthermore, BIR spice mixes (and commercial curry powders) typically contain turmeric (which subsequently colours curries yellow). However, it may be that some/many/most BIRs do not add spice mix to make their korma. This might be what Julian is referring to?

Nevertheless, to my mind, one way or another, a typical BIR korma would appear to contain turmeric; either from the curry base and/or from the addition of a spice mix (if one is being used to make a korma).

All that said, and as others have suggested, why not try it (as is) and see how you go? You can always subsequent tweak things (e.g. by leaving the spice mix out) to suit your own tastes and preferences.

Regards

floridasimon
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by floridasimon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi everyone. I'm really looking forward to making this but I have a question about the powdered coconut milk. Is this the same as powdered coconut? The supermarkets here in Florida aren't accustomed to stocking many spices. Thanks for any help.

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:05 am

Hi floridasimon,

Not sure what "powdered coconut" is, but this is "coconut milk powder" (as shown in the video):
Coconut Milk Powder.jpg
Coconut Milk Powder.jpg (61.09 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Please see the Chat About General Ingredients/Coconut for more information on the various and alternative forms of coconut (most can be used as an alternative).

Regards

Alan
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:39 pm

I have made this curry several times and it is absolutely gorgeous. The whole family love it. Thanks for the recipe

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 am

Glad to hear that you like it, Aldo, any chance of a photo?

Regards

chrisbeesfc
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by chrisbeesfc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:57 am

This was using Cory Ander's recipe and base sauce and I would like to give thanks to CA for how this turned out! It was amazing :)

I enjoyed the Korma recipe as it was very simple to follow after the base sauce, now I have plenty of base to try something else with. My wife enjoys tomatoey curries and I do not like them particularly hot so was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what recipe would be a good next step and fits this :)

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”