• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

December's Curry Club Curry of the Month is Oddbod's Slimline Dhansak (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Simple Chicken Korma

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).
Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Re: Simple Chicken Korma

Post by Cory Ander » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:54 pm

How to Post Attachments & Photos (please refer to my personal message)
Please make an effort to make at least 1 meaningful post each time you visit the forum

Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Looks like you've mastered picture posting as well as curry make tck! If it tasted ok then I suspect your spices were simply well roasted and not burnt.

AbhiLovesCooking
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by AbhiLovesCooking » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:40 am

Hello, CA . nice quick simple korma guide. Yours was the 1st BIR style of curry cooking i did and it went eat-able :D . I dunno wat mistakes i made but feed-back from you as well as from all BIR members are appreciated :) .Don't laugh, im just learning mates

Step 1 - Base Gravy

As followed from CA's simple base gravy recipe

Step 2 - Marinating the Chicken

I marinated the chicken in closed container plastic type. These are my ingredients

400g breast of chicken
0.25g tbsp of turmeric
1/2 tbsp of curry powder, red chilli powder
Some salt
2 Tbsp Yogurt
1/2 lemon juice

I mixed all this and marinated for 15 hours

Step 2 - pre-cooking

I Saute 2 Cassia bark, 2 green Cardamon,1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds, 1 star anise into 60ml oil for 2 mins till they fused with oil , then 90ml base gravy and saute another 2 mins.After than added 400g chicken breasts and another 100ml base gravy and
let it cooked for 30 mins in a closed cooker .

Step 3 - CA's simple chicken korma

pre-heated the pan for 5 mins , then added 60ml oil and heated for another 5 mins . Added pre-cooked chicken and saute for 3 mins, added 2tbsp of spice mix and 90ml of base gravy. Saute for 2 mins and then added almond and coconut powder, saute for 30 secs , added another 100ml of base gravy and cooked for 8 mins. This is how it looked in the picture.

Now i have a few doubts,
1) I've followed as per instructions of CA but my version came completely different color than CA's korma ? dunno why?
2) when i added chicken to the pan, it got struck to the pan ?
3) Have i used the right proportion of ingredients ? as well as technique ?

Your comments appreciated
Attachments
Simple Chicken Kuruma.jpg
My first BIR style chicken korma :D
Regards :D
Abhi

Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal

Post by Westy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:36 am

Abhi - where do we start with this my friend :D

Some small parts of what you did here were correct , unfortunately that left a great deal that was not . You obviously did not follow the recipe or even use it as a guide or you reverted to your traditional roots :D

Without dissecting every stage , I would suggest you go back read the recipe yourself and then compare what you did with the recipe posted - I'm sure you'll see the differences - basically :
1. No marinade was called for - remember this is BIR not traditional style :D
2. No pre-cook was called for
3. No whole spices were called for
4. Cream , and I dare say other ingredients that were called for , were missing .

It's a shame too since you made the base gravy without problem I hope . All is not lost - you should still have a usable portion of base gravy left so go back and do what the recipe says to do , nothing more - nothing less , and try to forget the way you usually cook - it should then resemble the posted recipe photo and taste as Cory intended. :D

Please let us know how you get on with it a second time :yes:
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....

leejones
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by leejones » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:16 am

If I am proved wrong I will openly apologise, but i don't think this is a legit poster ! :sneaky:
Lee

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:35 am

Abhi - given that you used precooked chicken, you added it too early and (probably) overcooked it:
CA wrote:You can use precooked chicken, or other precooked meat, or prawns - just add it, with the curry base, and make sure it is reheated thoroughly
You presumably also got your pan way too hot:
CA wrote:if the pan is too hot, when the chicken is added, it will stick
Otherwise, your amounts of some ingredients, your sequence of addition and some timings seem to be quite a bit different than the recipe states.

Apart from that, and in particular, I note that you appear to have added 2 tablespoons of spice mix rather than the 2 level teaspoons specified. That is a significant difference.

Also, as Westy says, what happened to the remaining ingredients (e.g. cream, butter ghee, milk, sugar, etc)?

Also, as Westy says, try doing it again (and follow the recipe exactly). If you similarly deviated from the curry base recipe and spice mix recipe, you're probably on to a loser from the start.

I suggest that you also watch one of the many videos in the video section of the forum.
Please make an effort to make at least 1 meaningful post each time you visit the forum

Regards

AbhiLovesCooking
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by AbhiLovesCooking » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:11 pm

@Westy - Hello, Thank you for your feedback.

1.A) Yea mate,I used to see Julian Voigt's videos on BIR back to back as he was the first guy who introduced me to the world of BIR's style of curry cooking. The marinating chicken was his idea as he showed a video of marinating chicken. Then i created my own ingredients to marinating chicken which i should have followed you guys.

So, for this curry or other BIR's. U don't need to marinate at all ?

2.A) I pre-cooked thinking that all typical BIR curries involved compulsory pre-cooking of chicken. Am i mistaken ? ,

3.A) The whole spices idea to pre-cooking was idea of Julian's video on how to pre-cook chicken.

For beginners, whos guide should i follow for pre-cooking since different guide uses different ingredients & techniques ?
Or as westy said, u don't need to pre-cook at all?

4.A) Yep, i didn't add some ingredients like sugar, cream, milk,butter and flaked almonds.

Feedback please on this westy :)

@Cory Ander.

Oops, this is a blooper. I was in a hurry didn't pay attention to tsp, instead added tbsp's :P . 30g of spice mix instead of 10g. I'll follow keenly as per ur guide this 2nd time and get it.

Should i use raw chicken for this recipe instead of a marinated + pre-cooked as per this recipe instructed?
My gas heat output is 3.6MJ. Does medium heat means 1.8 MJ ?

Feedback on this Cory Ander :)

@leejones This is a legit post mate, okay ill post a video on my 2nd try :)
Abhi

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:17 pm

Abhi, I suggest youy simply follow the recipes, particularly in the "Beginners' Guide", as they are written. And learn to walk before you run. To me, there seem to be far too many things going on, in your mind, that are simply complicating things. You should explore other things once you've got a good understanding of the basics.

Regards

Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO

Post by Westy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Abhi - forget what you saw on YouTube , or anywhere else please , if it's Cory's simple chicken korma that you want to recreate . Go to the recipe . Confirm you have the equipment and ingredients ( no extra little bits whatsoever) and follow the recipe using the step by step pictures for reference. If you struggle to grasp this , you will never cook anything to a recipe .
You need to try to do this Abhi - and report back please :D
It may help you to arrange the ingredients in ramekins or similar in the order in which they'll be added - you'll then have more time for referring to the recipe if you need to do so .

leejones
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by leejones » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:24 pm

Yes please, a video will be very interesting and useful in evaluating were you are going wrong!
Lee

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I agree, a video would be great....

PS: Just to clarify, Abhil, 2 level teaspoons of spice mix weighs about 4 grams (as detailed in the instructions) and not 10 grams that you indicated in your last post.

Regards

AbhiLovesCooking
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by AbhiLovesCooking » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:56 am

Due to the forum's immense support and friendliness to help me, this is my 2nd go on the CA's simple curry recipe and here is it's photo below. Beginners like me who are reading this will find my post useful

What i have learned :-
1) Always follow each and every letter of the ingredients & methodology precisely to replicate exact dishes. After getting familiar only need to experiment with the dish which i did during 1st time
2) It's better to under-cook rather than overcook. So when learning BIR curries, aim for the accuracy and not time. Patience is always a virtue. This curry took me 18 mins to cook for the 1st time cos i cooked in simmer feared not to overcook :) speed comes after practice
3) Always have the ingredients prepped and close to you so u dont need to run between counters :P which i did while i was doing 1st time

Thank You CA for your recipe

Regards
Abhi
Attachments
rsz_dsc_0031.jpg
CA's chicken korma 2nd attempt and i pretty much replicated it :D
Abhi

Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 am

Thanks for sharing your learning with everyone, Abhi, I am sure those just starting out will find it very useful.

hotpan dave
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by hotpan dave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 am

this looks yum got have ago at cooking it will post photo of mine when done

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:17 am

Looks good, Abhil, thanks for trying it and reporting back with your photo and top tips 8-)

Regards

bickson
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by bickson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:27 pm

Is almond meal the same as ground almonds?

Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO

Post by Westy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Yes bickson , one and the same :D

bickson
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by bickson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Thank you for the quick reply

Cory Ander

Post by Cory Ander » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:52 am

I have added a video to the opening post. I have minimised editing since I believe it should be more informative to see the preparation in its entirety. I trust that it is helpful to at least some members new to British Indian Restaurant style curry cooking....

Regards

baggieboy
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by baggieboy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:40 am

Made the Korma over the w/end & pleased to say it turned out very good, it reminded the wife of her trips to UK & as Korma was one of her favorites that was aplus. Sorry no pics but will be trying th next basic recipe this week.

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”