• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

November's Curry Club Curry of the Month is cartz's Hari Mirchi Bhuna Gosht (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Simple Curry Base (aka Base Gravy/Sauce)

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).
Lerwg
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Re: Simple Curry Base (aka Base Gravy/Sauce)

Post by Lerwg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Off to the supermarket now to get ingredients to make the base tonight and create a curry feast tomorrow! Have made this base before and found it was great for making in a large batch and freezing in portions

mapes12
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Bhuna, Chicken Dupiaza

Post by mapes12 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:33 pm

I've made this base gravy and it appears to have come out ok. Just one question. This recipe requires the blended mix to be simmered for 30 mins. Other bases I've come across don't stipulate this. What does the final simmering do? Is it required?

Mark

TiptonNick
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Bhuna

Post by TiptonNick » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Brings it all together after blending I suppose.

Smells great as well!

jones3870
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by jones3870 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Alright Tipton. Guessing you're from there? I grew up in Gornal.

mapes12
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by mapes12 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Here's how mine turned out. I did the 30 min simmering post blending but not sure why this is required. The Base in the eBook doesn't have this step. As a result mine appears darker than some others that are more yellow. I followed the instructions to the gram with the exception of the coriander stalks which I haven't got. Also, mine resulted in two portions of about 350ml where as others are getting 3. I made sure of keeping it topped up with water by using a metal ruler as the dip stick. I must have gone wrong somewhere.
Attachments
P1010571.JPG

TiptonNick
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Bhuna

Post by TiptonNick » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:53 pm

I love this base.

The second simmer more sense - to cook in the raw powdered spices and raw coriander and to bring the whole thing together.

Just to be extra thorough I give it a second blending and add water to get the consistency right.

adamup
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by adamup » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:31 pm

I've been chasing the perfect at-home BIR for so long...without success. I purchased an eBook off Amazon, tried some bases I found elsewhere, but nothing really ever had that restaurant taste. I finally committed to trying something simple and this base did the trick. I used it in both a Chicken Tikka Masala (recipe from elsewhere) and the Korma from this forum section. Amazing taste!! The CTM was just to our liking and the Korma just a tad too sweet, but otherwise delicious. I'll be using this base again until I get my footing!

greedouk
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by greedouk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Great base, underestimated the time it takes to make, especially if cooking a curry straight after, made a great tasting madras with it :thumbup:

Bazzah41
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Bazzah41 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm going to attempt this tomorrow.

Seems fairly straightforward.

Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal

Post by Westy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Couldn't be simpler Bazzah - get stuck in :thumbup:
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....

ilikeemcurvy
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by ilikeemcurvy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:18 pm

gonna give this a go fingers crost lol

Berkshireboy
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by Berkshireboy » Sat May 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Made this as a base for lamb saag tonight. Was fantastic . Cooked the base for about 15 mins after adding the spices and used spray oil as wife dieting,

ChrisG17
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by ChrisG17 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 am

Does this simple gravy give same results as a larger batch? Is stock water using whole spices a good idea and also using spiced oil that you have used to fry whole spices? Would adding both be too much? Thanks

mapes12
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by mapes12 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:47 pm

IMHO yes it gives the same results as a larger batch. As it's not a large batch then I'd recommend you make your first one per the recipe. Then experiment once you've got the flavour of the original.

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Mon May 08, 2017 1:47 pm

This is a "simple" curry base (for beginners to BIR-style cooking) so it is of a realistic domestic scale and does not include nuances such as "akhni stock" or "spiced oil". You will find more about using them in the Curry Base Recipes and the Spiced Infused Oils sections of the forum.
Please make an effort to make at least 1 meaningful post each time you visit the forum

Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

iamacly
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by iamacly » Sat May 27, 2017 10:40 am

In the process of trying this base gravy recipe and so far everything is going well. Plan to make a Korma once it's completed. Have tried over base recipes but they all seemed to overpower the Korma, not sure why but this one would appear to have subtler flavours, fingers crossed.

Will post on the results when done.
Iamacly

Bir-in-fl
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM
Favourite Curries: Tikka Masala

Post by Bir-in-fl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 am

Brilliant! Thank you for posting this. For the longest time I've been trying to recreate the Bir dishes I love and had no idea that a gravy base was needed and how much more simple it is too cook with a pre-made gravy :thumbup:

mark0502
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by mark0502 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:06 am

This still goes down as my go to base sauce for making curries. Have made a batch last night for curry night tonight and will be using the infused oil recipe also. Again thanks Cory for this recipe :thumbup:

whoosh88
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by whoosh88 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:58 pm

This looks like a great starting point, I'll be sure to give this one a go first. Thanks for posting!

simonides
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Veggie ones eg. SB's pressure cooker Dhal

Post by simonides » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 am

Excellent Base, CA - thank you. The best I've made so far. I added half a potato, roughly chopped as I had seen it in other recipes, and omitted the bell pepper as they don't agree with my wife (or maybe she doesn't agree with them!)

S

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”