• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

October's Curry Club Curry of the Month is adeypayne's Shatkora (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Techniques of British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Cooking

A "Quick Start" for members new to BIR style curry cooking - basic techniques and simple recipes to get you started on your BIR-style curry cooking adventures.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for controlled content only. Please DO NOT start new topics in this section of the forum (unless requested to or authorised to do so).
Dancr84
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Re: Techniques of British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Cooking

Post by Dancr84 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:00 pm

hi
this was a great read!!!
i have always been weary of using too much oil and ended burning the spice a couple of times on my journey to curry perfection lol but i have a long way to go.
i have been a chef for 12 years now and i am dipping my toes into the curry world because i have learned so much in other cooking styles and felt i didnt have time to learn all curry/indian at the same time i now have the time to focus all my energy into cooking and learning this style of cooking. i cant wait ti get my teeth stuck into some of the recipes here :)

SteveDrome
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken

Post by SteveDrome » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 am

Awesome advice. Love this site :cool2:

Ukandy69
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Ukandy69 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have had some excellent result cooking in a Kadai, especially on a Gas burner, excellent heat and cooking in the Kadai give plenty of surface area for the curry gravy to caramelize on the sides, scraping is very easy,
I have cooked 16 servings in one, and there was still plenty of room for scraping and movnig the curry around, (Exceptional results with Jalfrieze !!)

Andy

mprouts
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by mprouts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:31 pm

The concept of a curry base is totally new to me. (That must be why my saag always turned out so bland...)

neiljay
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Post by neiljay » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:57 pm

My problem may be solved. Great tip on cooking smaller portions for 1 or 2, i have been cooking for 4 and sometimes or mostly results in a lacklustre curry. :thumbup:

Masala Mark
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Masala Mark » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

Great info here, after taking a few years off the curry wagon, have climbed back on board and having a blast thanks to the contributions of many in the community. The videos CA has up on YouTube help you right through it.

Andyh
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Pathia

Post by Andyh » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for sharing this .i didn't realise the cooking of the spices mattered that much which is why my attempts have been disasterus :lol::

LordGeorgie
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Dhansak

Post by LordGeorgie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:35 pm

I've mastered the basics thank you, I'm applying the techniques to everything :)

Sin-amon

Post by Sin-amon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Part of the reason I joined is to learn exactly this type of thing. I've never made a curry using a base + extras, always just been an all-in-one type recipe...never tasted QUITE right.

Return to “Beginners' GUIDE (Guests Welcome to Browse)”