• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

June 2018 - ScotchBonnet's Pudina Gosht

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

June 2018 - ScotchBonnet's Pudina Gosht

Post by ScotchBonnet »

This month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month" recipe is ScotchBonnet's Pudina Gosht kindly selected by JalfrezIt.

Remember, the first member to try this recipe (anew) and report back, with photos, gets to select next month's recipe. Their photo will also be displayed on the Index Page for all to salivate over....CA

Recipe can be found here
Last edited by ScotchBonnet on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Re: SB's Pudina Gosht

Post by Alchemist »

Looks interesting SB, thanks for sharing.
Ian4curry
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Ian4curry »

Hi SB

Just a quick question: not really a big lamb fan so was wondering if this recipe would suit chicken instead. I`m guessing it would but would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Ian
I got enough money to last me for the rest of my life, so long as i dont live any longer than Friday
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

There is a traditional dish of "murgh pudina" which is chicken made with mint leaves so I think it would work very well IF you want minty chicken. Not everyone likes minty chicken, though, so you could cut down on the mint or leave it out (and then it would be a chicken madras or something else but still quite tasty). I like mint with lamb and I like a bit of mint with prawns or chicken, too, sometimes but I don't put as much mint in them as I would for lamb.
Ian4curry
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Ian4curry »

Cheers SB

If i were to go with the lamb,, which cut would you go for? The reason i ask is because im not too keen on fatty lamb and i know lamb can be quite fatty..

Cheers

Ian
I got enough money to last me for the rest of my life, so long as i dont live any longer than Friday
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

When I ask the butcher for lamb I get leg or chump cut into large cubes. He has already trimmed any thick pieces of fat off. So, rather than asking for a particular cut, if you tell your butcher what you plan to do with it the a good butcher will give you the best stuff.

If you are buying it pre-packed then leg would likely be best but you'll have some cutting to do. You can use lamb leg steaks - already cut, roundish and with the bone in - in which case I would retrieve the flavoursome bone marrow, remove and discard the piece of bone and then cut the steak into pieces and discard any large bits of fat, fascia etc. Shoulder, breast, neck etc. are very tasty but best cooked very slowly with herbs, garlic, etc. (ie not a curry).

Note that the cut cubes of raw lamb will look huge but they do shrink a bit when cooked. In a good lamb curry, IMHO, you don't have tiny little bite-sized pieces of lamb but chunks of meat that you can get your incisors into; you want to bite half a cube, swallow, dip the reaming bit into the sauce. Meat is a tactile thing as well as taste.
Smeghead
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Smeghead »

I think I've got a jar of Pataks madras paste thats been sitting in the cupboard for ages.

Will have to give this a crack over the weekend. Though I'll have to use beef.
Smeghead
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Smeghead »

my daughter gives it two thumbs up.
Adding this one into my recipe book

Thanks
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

Thank you for your (daughter's) appreciation, smeghead. I'm trying to decide between this or a chicken vindaloo for tomorrow night's dinner.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Re: June 2018 - ScotchBonnet's Pudina Gosht

Post by Cory Ander »

This month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month" recipe is ScotchBonnet's Pudina Gosht kindly selected by JalfrezIt.

Remember, the first member to try this recipe (anew) and report back, with photos, gets to select next month's recipe. Their photo will also be displayed on the Index Page for all to salivate over....CA
CA (aka Admin) :)
Bandit
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Jalfrezi, Pathia, Ceylon.
Great Britain

Post by Bandit »

Never cooked a curry of the month before so I was looking forward to this next instalment which is SB’s Pudina Gosht, Mrs B was working on Saturday morning so the plan went into action, I had all the ingredients in except lamb so of to the shops I went.
Next decision was what cut of lamb to get and how was it to be prepared, as I only had small pieces of pre-cooked lamb that I use for Biriyani in the freezer. Taking cost into account I decided on leg and to speed up the process I would prep it and cook it in the pressure cooker.
After a de-boning frenzy and trimming off of excess fat and dicing into sizable chunks it went into the pressure cooker with all the normal spices etc. for 30 mins which gave me time to prep the rest of the ingredients required. After the allotted time out came the lamb to great joy and will definitely start to use this method of prepping lamb in the future.
Next step was the cooking of the curry

Ingredients – all measured as per the recipe except there was 250gms of lamb not 300gms
1.JPG
1.JPG (187.77 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
Onions in, after 5 minutes of cooking
2.JPG
2.JPG (185.03 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
Next lot of ingredients in
3.JPG
3.JPG (206.05 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
After one more minute of cooking
4.JPG
4.JPG (224.72 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
Spices etc in
5.JPG
5.JPG (232.66 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
A good mix and a further cook
6.JPG
6.JPG (269.2 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
First lot of base gravy in to assist in the roasting of the spices
7.JPG
7.JPG (189.05 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
Lamb in
8.JPG
8.JPG (217.76 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
Base gravy added in stages then in went the coriander
9.JPG
9.JPG (201.36 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
Finished dish
10.JPG
10.JPG (208.61 KiB) Viewed 165704 times
This was served with Mushroom Pilau and Saag Paneer

The recipe was very easy to follow and easy to cook, while cooking I thought that the amount of oil may be a bit too much with the addition of the madras paste which has its own oil content however on the finished dish this was not apparent and all was infused with an acceptable amount of floating, flavoursome oil.
I was looking forward to see how the mint would come through on the final dish but I was a bit disappointed that I could not taste the much if any so if I cook it again I may add a bit more than the recipe states to see how that goes.
The heat level for me was not a problem but it took Mrs B back a bit on the first tasting but she got used to it and stated that it tasted a bit sweet. I thought that this was a curry with a good depth of flavour and works very well with lamb and was enjoyed by both of us.
Overall apart from a few minor points which is probably down to personal taste it’s a big thumbs up from us and I will definitely be adding this to my list of curries to cook again as I have already been told by the boss as I now have plenty of pre-cooked lamb in the freezer.

Cheers to SB for the recipe and to JT for choosing it for curry club

Cheers Bandit :thumbup: :thumbup:
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

Thank you for trying my recipe. Very good photos. I like the “mise en place” approach (put everything into little bowls ready to cook). Yes, add more mint by all means. I'm not sure if jars of Colman's mint sauce vary in their strength or not.
Bandit
SERRANO
SERRANO
Great Britain

Post by Bandit »

Got my hands on ten of them, small egg cups, someone was about to throw them out at work, my mind always goes into default “what can I use them for” makes it easier for me while prepping and cooking.
Hope the pictures done your curry justice, and the stages were easy to follow, we definitely enjoyed it and will be having it again in the future.

Cheers Bandit
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

Thanks for posting Bandit, nice looking curry.
thebeermonkey
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Lamb Kahari, Lamb Nihari, Lamb Madras

Post by thebeermonkey »

Excellent Work Bandit.

I’ll be giving this a try later on in the week. Expect photos but probably not as good as Bandit’s.

Cheers
I came for a visit but decided to stay.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Well done, Bandit, thanks for trying this months Curry Club Curry of the Month and for reporting back with your findings and photos (a photo of which now adorns the top the forums Index Page) 8-)
Juzzadona
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Bhuna, Karahi
England

Post by Juzzadona »

Top work SB. Looks really authentic and absolutely delicious. Will be trialling this one soon!
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

I made this with lamb escalopes, probably not ideal, but I cooked them in a slow cooker for 4 1/2 hours so they didn't dry out. I found the recipe easy to follow & straightforward. The lamb went well with the mint & it was a tasty curry.
curry 1.jpg
curry 1.jpg (530.02 KiB) Viewed 165393 times
Thanks to SB for posting the recipe & hopefully a few more of our members will try it.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Looks good, pauly 8-)

Anyone else thinking of trying it, before the end of this month (whereupon a new Curry Club Recipe of the Month will be announced)?...... :hmmm:
Bandit
SERRANO
SERRANO
Great Britain

Post by Bandit »

I for one can certainly recommend it, it’s definitely worth a go and I will be having this one again

Bandit :thumbup: