• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

March 2017 - lagerlad's Chicken Malaya

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
lagerlad
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

March 2017 - lagerlad's Chicken Malaya

Post by lagerlad »

This month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month" recipe is lagerlad's Chicken Malaya, kindly selected by Greybeard.

Remember, the first member to try this recipe, (anew) and report back, with photos, gets to select next month's recipe....

PS: The first decent photo of it also gets to go at the top of the forum's Index Page for the month - admin

I make this occasionally we call it chicken Malaya
CHICKEN MALAYA

The recipe can be found here
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Re: lagerlads Chicken Malaya

Post by Cory Ander »

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us lagerlad 8-)

Any chance that you could post a photo of it next time you make it? It might spark more (some) interest...
CA (aka Admin) :)
Admin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
England

Re: March 2017 - lagerlad's Chicken Malaya

Post by Admin »

This month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month" recipe is lagerlad's Chicken Malaya, kindly selected by Greybeard.

Remember, the first member to try this recipe, (anew) and report back, with photos, gets to select next month's recipe....

PS: The first decent photo of it also gets to go at the top of the forum's Index Page for the month....
Administrator - BIRCurries.co.uk (aka Cory Ander)
DamienD
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Scotland

Post by DamienD »

Well this doth striketh me as most interesting, banana say'th thou, oh and er pineapple, wouldst thou be trying to find some alternative dishes for the young uns m'lord other than the Korma variety?

Well fair play then young bucko, I shall do'th my best, begging to sate the palates of the young kings, for I, rich in base (I beholdeth a batch of base in freezer) a defrosting is in order, and a session of frying shall follow forthwith. Hah, how shaketh you now fair warrior? Thy place in the realms of choosing curries shall be marked.

Be prepared to eat both pineapple and banana in the coming days. Behold the currymeister who succumbs to this test. Consider thyselves forewarned whether thy be spice wielding, vindaloo monster, or other malicious spice fiends for the banana is not your friend, your nemesis awaits, as does the frying pan. Who doth win....
No idea, but £5 in fictional curry credits for anyone who doth get hit'eth in thine head with a fry pan for serving banana in a curry, results pending....

Cooking this on Friday for testing purposes! Doth masses be forthwith so warned!
DamienD
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Scotland

Post by DamienD »

This certainly was a very unusual curry, milder than a chicken korma thereby giving you an idea of the spice level in the sauce.

The bananas actually work quite well, giving an interesting texture and actually taste quite nice which kind of shocked me to be honest. I wonder if they would stand up as well if they were in a more spicy sauce? I'm not suggesting adding them to a madras or a vindaloo but maybe an interesting idea for a side dish/dessert.

For me the pineapple didn't fare so well, too juicy/sweet, it made me feel like I was eating something like a chinese sweet and sour chicken. If I made this again I would leave out the pineapple and probably double up on the banana. I guess this dish would only really appeal to those with a low heat tolerance but its always good to have an alternative to Korma and for that reason alone it will get made again here as an alternative offering to Junior.

Here is a pic, unfortunately my own camera is out of action so had to use someone elses... banana front centre and also back left x 2 with a visible pineapple chunk nearer the front just ahead of them.
Attachments
Chicken Malaya.JPG
Chicken Malaya.JPG (100.55 KiB) Viewed 25697 times
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garllic Chilli, Naga, Tarka Daal, Aloo Chaat
England

Post by steveparadox »

Nice one Damien - good to see a photo of the dish and have your feedback! As much as I love curry club, I simply cannot bring myself to cook this curry - Pineapple and Bananna are two of my least favourite things! :strange:
lagerlad
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by lagerlad »

sorry folks just noticed this and feel very honoured to have my recipe chosen so cheers greybeard,when i posted the recipe...years ago I knew at the time it was a bit mild for most of the folk on the forum which has been shown in the interest in making it but if you are making a couple of curries sometimes good for something different i like to have it alongside a madras,two ends of the curry spectrum !C,mon lads and lasses try something different that contains two of your five a day!!!!cheers lagerlad
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

I have cooked this up last week, but didn't manage to take any photos hence no review. Will cook again sometime this week.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Greybeard review - lagerlad's Chicken Malaya
lagerlad's Chicken Malaya
lagerlad's Chicken Malaya
IMG_5706.JPG (143.69 KiB) Viewed 25443 times
In my long and varied life I have had many friendly insults thrown in my direction. Mrs GB says I have a sweet face (like a half chewed toffee), others say I grow on people (a bit like a fungus). So it would not be an exaggeration to say that I am a bit of an acquired taste, and am definitely not a square or a round peg – more like a battered twig shape. One of my many idiosyncrasies (apart from howling at the moon on clear nights) is the amount of sugar I take in my tea or coffee. A minimum of three spoonfuls in a mug of builders tea and I am a happy man. I have been known to slip more in on the quiet if the spoon has either been of derisory size or the quantity is not heaped. My biggest sin is just to shake the sugar into an empty mug and judge the amount by the base coverage. This causes much amusement amongst colleagues at work, and despite my protestations about not wanting to get the sugar in the tin dirty with cross spoon contamination (be it coffee or liquid), no one believes me.

True to form, this curry is not your normal two spoons of sugar and a dash of milk variety. It has fruit in it (part of your 5 a day, or as inflation would now have it, 7 a day), no garlic and very little spicing. In reality it is fruit, base, cream and meat – a bit like a hyperactive Korma after too many blue Smarties. An ideal teaser curry to get children interested in the genre, provided they are not lactose intolerant, this is certainly a good starting point for a family curry. Keep it down low for the little ones, and boost it up for the adults with some added ginger, garlic and maybe fresh chilli or a TSP of Kashmiri chilli powder.

The reason this review is posted so late it has been a busy time in the GB household. The arrival of our new range cooker (review coming soon) has caused no end of chaos and I am still getting to grips with the gas burners that are vicious in their intensity in comparison with my elderly Baumatic. I used to be able to put a curry on full heat, sneak out, pour a glass of vino and roll a cigarette, and return in time to see a nice manageable fond building up. Sadly, this timing technique is no more. Turn your back, blink a couple of times, and you are in danger of a dark brown crust building up. Cooking a Korma tonight, for the first time ever, I saw the almond and coconut powder separating from the oil – a level of heat I have never managed to achieve on my old stove. I also seem to be developing the memory of a clown fish, I did cook this curry earlier in the month when we had friends round for an 8 curry meal, and promptly forgot to take any photos. The score I will leave to the end, but a great time was had by all.

Version 1 of the curry I cooked to spec, using tinned pineapple and pre-cooked chicken. Version 2 I browned some chicken in the pan, took it out and used the fond as a starting point along with (it had to be done) a good tablespoon of garlic ginger paste. The chicken was then added as per the pre-cooked version. Version 2 also had the addition of fresh pineapple, coriander and some yoghurt to balance out the cream, but I didn’t go as far to spice the curry up any further. The recipe is straightforward, and you shouldn’t have any problems cooking either with pre-cooked or fresh chicken.

Despite all my efforts to persuade Ms GB to sample some curry, this was in vain. Both versions were sampled by myself, Mrs GB, and Version 1 also by my American friend and her husband. Mrs GB gave both an 8, and our friends didn’t give any scores as they were too busy silently munching from the a la carte menu. I did get a thank you card complimenting the food, and I know the Malay was sampled so that speaks volumes.

Personal observations? This is not an easy curry to pigeonhole. The standard recipe I found a bit too heavy and sweet, without some rice or bread to balance it out it would border on sickly if served in large portions. It is not that it tastes bad, it is the consistency and intensity that counts here. The closest that I can compare this to is chocolate mousse, I love this desert but I couldn’t eat two large portions. Version 2, with some additional yogurt (as well as the cream) and a touch of garlic redressed the balance a lot, and along with some steamed rice it was very morish and I had no problem polishing off my portion. For my taste in curries, it needs a bit more spicing, but that is a purely personal preference. The addition of fresh pineapple really makes the difference, but to get the best out of it it should be added early and the banana added a few moments before the end just to heat through. Fresh pineapple tends to be a bit tougher than the tinned variety, and a good cook gets the consistency right, juicy, tender and exploding with flavour. Be careful though, it tends to hold a lot of heat, something to be wary of if serving to young children.

This really is a unique dish. It is not as mundane as a Korma, yet is does not have the punch of a medium hot curry. The cream, fruit and consistency implies luxury, a very sensual curry, yet like many upmarket delights you would not want to overindulge. For me, I would further enhance the dish by adding a ground fresh finger chilli and some lime juice to cut through the weight of the cream. That would turn a good dish into something else, but it would no longer be a blue Smartie.
IMG_5711.JPG
IMG_5711.JPG (170.42 KiB) Viewed 25437 times
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Thanks to those who participated in this month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month".

Please continue further discussions in the recipe thread.
CA (aka Admin) :)