• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

February 2017 - Alchemist's Chicken Korma

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

February 2017 - Alchemist's Chicken Korma

Post by Alchemist »

This month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month" recipe is Alchemist's Chicken Korma, kindly selected by Rusty - Admin

The recipe can be found here

My base is Kris Dhillons, wont go into that now and suspect there may be better ones on the forum.

The Korma recipe was as follows:
Last edited by Alchemist on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Re: Alchemist's Chicken Korma

Post by Cory Ander »

Thanks for sharing your recipe Alchemist 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

thanks for shifting it to the right section CA ;)
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

I've never made a korma by frying, but now I'm somewhat curious. I might give your recipe soon!
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
Admin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
England

Re: February 2017 - Alchemist's Chicken Korma

Post by Admin »

This month's Curry Club "Curry of the Month" recipe is Alchemist's Chicken Korma, kindly selected by Rusty.

Remember, the first member to try this recipe, (anew) and report back, with photos, gets to select next month's recipe....

PS: The first decent photo of it also gets to go at the top of the forum's Index Page for the month....
Alchy's Korma.jpg
Alchy's Korma.jpg (175.66 KiB) Viewed 11047 times
Administrator - BIRCurries.co.uk (aka Cory Ander)
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Oh dear! This is like looking at your school books from years ago! I hope it's ok!
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Don't worry Alchy, as Boy George would say it turned out to be a Korma Chameleon ....

(Review and photos on way as soon as I can get hold of some chicken.)
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Greybeard review – Chicken Korma by Alchemist

There are probably more chicken korma’s cooked in the Greybeard household than any other curry, as my teenage daughter will not eat any other variety of Indian dish, despite the temptation of a mild CTM or an excellent chasni. Nope, for Miss GB it has to be korma, preferably served with a warmed though supermarket naan bread. If I were to attempt to serve my version of a home made naan, a swift call to Childline, a visit by social services and my imminent arrest on charges of child abuse would swiftly follow. Even my dog (whose favourite restaurant of choice is the kitchen bin) turns up her nose at my paltry attempts. One of these days though, I’ll get to grips with the dark art of baking bread, rather than manufacturing concoctions that defy both the laws of physical science and good taste.

Curries though, are a different matter entirely. The weekly (or often bi or tri weekly) ritual of digging the spices out of the cupboard and blending up some garlic and ginger paste I find immensely rewarding, especially as there is so much variety out there in the recipes on this site. Last weekend, finding myself out of base, I thought I would try Dan Saks SSS base (the one with orange in it) and the complimentary mix powder by Littlechilli. Why? It was not that I am unhappy with the bases I have previously used, but rather I was curious to see if I could push the envelope a bit further and learn something in the process. Scientifically, the only way to measure this accurately would be to consistently cook the same dish with different bases, but I don’t have sufficient freezer space to store the overflow. The other option would be to make only a small quantity of base, which would be a real faff, and could be inaccurate due to scaling issues. So I tend to run up a wide range of regular curries from mild to hot that I know I can prepare reasonably well and see if there are any “Oh wow” moments. From the base perspective, I am coming to the conclusion there are so many excellent bases out there, each has it’s own particular attributes, and each add a certain dimension to a curry. I tend to lean towards loaded, thick, spicy bases – as rightly or wrongly – I believe a base should taste good. While I understand the philosophy of keeping a base bland and spicing up at the fry stage, my first ever base was a thick spicy garabi, and my BIR neurons are now pretty much hard wired to this method. I’ll never forget the joy and pleasure I experienced with that first mouthful. Like a man’s first love, his first base is not easily forgotten.

And so it was quite a coincidence that the Curry Club recipe this month was Alchemists’. Reading back though Dan Saks base thread, Alchemist was a fan of that base at the time in 2015, and I thought at last – I can write a Curry Club review with a totally clear conscience, having everything from mix powder, base, spices and ingredients to hand. No such luck. When the first line pronounced the use of Pat Chapman’s base, and I looked at the thread date, I realised I had missed the boat by almost 2 years. Ah well, better late than never I suppose.

So armed with a 5 day old carton of base defrosted in the microwave, 2 portions of pre-cooked chicken (using a new method I am currently trying out), and a small selection of spices, I got to work. I omitted the food colouring as the base is quite vibrant in colour. The technique is simplicity itself, once the spices and powders have been fried off just add the base and reduce, adding the cream at the end once the curry has cooled a bit to prevent the cream curdling. As a beginners curry, this really is pretty much foolproof provided you don’t allow anything to burn. This is important during the reduction phase particularly if you are using an aluminium pan, as a heavy fond tends to build up around the edges at the bottom. The only technique here is to resist the temptation to stir the curry until a light fond builds up, but you definitely don’t want it to get too dark or it will be bitter, something that can easily happen with coconut and almond powder.

Prior to serving the curry did need a good ½ TSP of salt to bring some balance to the dish, but other than than no other adjustments were required. The garam masala did not overpower the curry, and there was a definite subtle breakthrough of spicing. I use a lot more coconut in my own version along with yogurt and cream, garlic and ginger paste along with some jaggery to add an extra bit of luxury (and cost!) but that is just a personal preference. I hear some TA’s are even adding alcohol to “gourmet” kormas these days, so the BIR evolution continues. Despite this (and possibly Alchemists protestations to the contrary), this recipe has stood the test of time, and if this was the first BIR curry I attempted I would not be disappointed.

I possibly overdid the reduction a bit for some tastes, as the sauce was quite thick, but as most of my curries lean towards that consistency anyway, as this is normal for the GB household. The sample that I tried was delicious, with a lovely smooth creamy texture, considerably better and with more mouth feel than any pre-packaged supermarket product - something that I have to shamefully admit Mrs GB occasionally purchases “For emergencies”.

So, while I cannot comment on Pat Chapman’s base (another recipe to try when I get around to it), I have no problem recommending the use of Dan Saks base with this recipe. I doubt if any mild curry lover would have any issues with this dish.

As for Mrs GB, she implied that my photo looks like, ahem, dog poo, so I didn't give her a sample to try for her impertinence (CA please take note). All I can say in my defence is that if I used my standard base the colour would have been very different. Miss GB is currently suffering from a stinking cold and despite all my fatherly encouragement I cannot persuade her to have a really hot curry to flush the bug out. I’ll report back with this later, once dinner is officially served - that is if my daughter can actually taste anything.
Spices
Spices
IMG_5541.JPG (258.41 KiB) Viewed 11336 times
Final dish - with mandatory supermarket naan
Final dish - with mandatory supermarket naan
IMG_5545.JPG (215.62 KiB) Viewed 11336 times
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garllic Chilli, Naga, Tarka Daal, Aloo Chaat
England

Post by steveparadox »

Nice work greybeard! Don't worry, my last vegetable Korma was commented upon as "looking like sick" hahaha. Did this dish capture the klassic Korma characteristics that you would expect from a restaurant?
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Phew, thanks for the encouraging write up, GB. Not being a korma addict, I've not made this very often since posting it and have little if no memory of doing so! Like a good night out, the experience has been wiped from my memory bank...

So, I can now make this and experience it as if for the first time :laugh:
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Don't be modest Alchy. I've watched you cook curries and demolished them for dinner. Top Notch.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

The fellow GB household results are now in. Mrs GB gave it a 7, Miss GB was quite blunt on two issues. Firstly, there was the complaint it "It was too spicy, not like the normal korma". The second comment was "You gave me purple chicken last time, but it's green now ... Oh sorry, that was my cold :sick:" *.To add insult to injury, I reheated it in the microwave with a couple of TBS of cold water to loosen it up a bit, and I was told off as it wasn't as thick as normal.

Granted, I use a lot of coconut and almond powder in my standard korma which covers the former point, but the latter comment I would take as encouragement - either a) together we have come up with a base / curry combination that will literally dissolve a heavy cold or b) daughter is getting better and could taste the slightly hotter LittleChilli mix powder in the base.

I am no connoisseur when it comes to korma, but on a heat scale of 1 - 10 it barely registered a 0.5 for me, so as far as I am concerned it is a definite pass. Saying that, I honestly can't remember ever ordering a korma in a restaurant so as far as TA standard is concerned (like butter chicken) I am at a loss!

* Daughter would only allow me to publish her comments online if I included the second comment. We need to get this thread back to somewhere sensible now we have covered pretty much the maximum number of available bodily fluids - apologies to anyone that I may have put off their dinner (Or indeed Alchy's curry ...) :w00t:
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

So, did you (and your wife) like it, or not, GB? :chair:

PS: Happy with a "yes" or "no" answer :lol:
CA (aka Admin) :)
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Yes. (Yes.) :oops:
seyffer
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
United States of America

Post by seyffer »

Recipe looks intriguing - can't wait to try... Going to the Indian market today... time to stock back up!

Thanks for sharing :)
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

I made this today and well, it was ok. A bit of a poor mans Korma, perhaps! Looking at my recipe from back in 2013 and comparing to others on the forum I have tried and enjoyed more I am of the opinion there is too much base gravy in relation to the amount of sugar, coconut flour and cream. Perhaps I should rename this the 'Dieters Korma'! Plus, where's the garlic, GB!!! :laugh:
Attachments
Korma.png
Korma.png (236.2 KiB) Viewed 11216 times
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

I didn't want to mention the "elephant garlic" in the room, Alchy :w00t:
Rusty
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
Australia

Post by Rusty »

Hi Alchy gave your recipe a shot tonight 8-) I kept to your recipe but used my own base.
This was a nice simple curry to make but does need attention to prevent sticking to pan, I did look at the ingredients 20 times thinking I had forgotten to add something. :):
The curry texture was very good, on tasting the sauce there was a hint of the base that came through but once plated and sprinkled with Garam masala and coriander It came to life and was pleasant to eat.
I think this would be great for a quick and easy curry for the kids or someone new to BIR.
You made me smile with your poor mans Korma :thumbup:

I hope others give this dish a try.
Click for full size image
Click for full size image
Click image for full size
Click image for full size
Cheers Rusty
The best day of the week to prepare onions for a base gravy is a Fryday 8-)
Smeghead
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Smeghead »

always on the lookout for a decent korma recipe.
Being a fan of vindaloo I still enjoy a nice mild korma
giving it a crack tomorrow
pigeon
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by pigeon »

Going to try this out for the mrs thanks for sharing