• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

December 2016 - Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Biryani

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
James
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Re: December 2016 - Edwin Catflap Dipuraja1 Biryani

Post by James »

One of the best :thumbup: thanks.
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Post by British Indian »

I've cooked 100's of these. We sold this (more or less) exact version at the shop.

I recommend this to anyone and everyone :thumbup:

Although Dip says to use pilau rice, I have cooked this many times with plain old boiled/steamed rice with great results too.
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by unclefrank »

Yes this is a big seller for me too, very simple dish to make.
Chickenbhoona
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tilkka Bhoona.

Post by Chickenbhoona »

Hi all, this is indeed an easy dish to make not to sound condescending but one for the first time newbie to BIR cooking :thumbup: I can see this going down a storm on Saturday night with a few beers proper good!

Apologies for the delay in my choice this month I got in a muckin fuddle sorry all, so here's my choice like what I made......
december choice.jpg
december choice.jpg (145.15 KiB) Viewed 49300 times
december choice 2.jpg
december choice 2.jpg (157.31 KiB) Viewed 49300 times
Nice but dim. :confused:
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Looks great, CB, and nicely presented. I've never made. Biryani before so am happy with your choice :thumbup:
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by unclefrank »

When i make this i use "Service Onions" to give a nice variety of colours that match the rice, i also have tried this using 0.5 tsp oil and frying the onions, gives a more sweet/smoky flavour it does take a little longer and you have to keep your eye on it then just follow recipe as stated.
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garllic Chilli, Naga, Tarka Daal, Aloo Chaat
England

Re: December 2016 - Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Biryani

Post by steveparadox »

Pre-cooked vegetables - I was thinking onion & peppers scorched to give a smokiness. Additionally, boiled cauliflower & potato. The beauty of coliflower and potato being boiled is that one can add turmeric to the water to infuse both vegetables with a lovely colour. Maybe a very small amount of white cabbage could go in to and I was wondering a very small amount of sliced beans, french or other and even a pinch of peas. I might give this dish a go next Friday as part of the banquet I am cooking up!
alison g
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: chicken biryani + veg curry chicken tikka

chicken tikka biryani by Dipuraja1

Post by alison g »

Just wanted to post feedback - last night I made recipe of the month - Dipuraja1 's chicken tikka biryani and accompanying veg curry/kurma - WOW :thumbup: nailed it :yahoo:

I had actually made this before - but found (I think...) 1 tablespoon of mix powder in each case to be too strong a flavour (we don't eat the massive portions served in the takeaway) - whilst everyone else said it was great. Therefore I used 1 teaspoon of mix for rice and same again for the curry. Came out PERFECT.

I find there is quite a bit of prep work before hand - laying out all the spices - precooking the veg and making CA's (perfect...) pilau rice - but then when it comes to the cook - it takes minutes - even my son wanted to know how I served up in under 10 minutes instead of the usual 40-60 mins! I cooked each portion separately instead of 5 portions in one pan - and I really do think this enhanced the dish by the spices roasting rather than boiling in the pan.
Husband can't believe I forgot to take pictures of the most successful dish to date! :lol::

Admin please feel free to move this post if I've put it in the wrong place.
x

[Edit: moved to December curry club thread. seafret (mod)]
alison g
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: chicken biryani + veg curry chicken tikka

Post by alison g »

...thanks Seafret - I did look for this thread but for the life of me couldn't find it!

Just need to add that I added the pinch of sugar as per Pauly's biryani and his chef spoon of blended tinned tomatoes instead of the paste. Now if I can managed to cook this successfully - ANYONE can! :lol:
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Well done, Alison, any chance of a photo? :):
CA (aka Admin) :)
TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Chicken Madras

Post by TikkaTom »

Made this tonight and Im sooo glad that I did! I haven't had a Biryani since I was a kid and this gave me an instant blast from the past, this recipe is exactly like a restaurant Biryani. Definitely recommend members give this one a go!

Gotta say Im really enjoying the variety in curry club, its good to try things that you wouldn't normally try :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
biryani.jpg
biryani.jpg (180.15 KiB) Viewed 49215 times
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Looks fantastic, TT, great photo (as is CB's further above) 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
steveparadox
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garllic Chilli, Naga, Tarka Daal, Aloo Chaat
England

Post by steveparadox »

Just finished cooking this dish.

The veg curry is very basic with not a lot of ingredients but it makes for an end dish that is pleasing and simple.

The rice is also rather rather sparse in terms of ingredients. But again, I found the simplicity of it enjoyable. If I were to cook it again I would definitely add vegetables into the rice and not just the curry. Maybe that is becusase I dont eat meat and hence omitted the chicken. Overall I found this to be pleasant and a good dish for either someone who prefers a mild, easy going curry or as a mild accompanyment to a bolder main dish.

paryani.jpg
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

I have a love hate relationship with rice. Perfectly cooked, with a good sauce based dish, it is the food of the gods. Badly cooked, and no matter how well the sauce or accompaniment may be, it will be a distraction, a thorn in the flesh of the final dish. A lot of this is down to the fact as a chef, I don't do starch. I can't bake. My bread is currently being researched as an alternative building material for low cost housing, and you really would not want me to cook you dessert. I know when I'm beaten.

So this months Curry Club has once again made me want to run to the hills and cop out. The last one was UncleFranks Chicken Sagwala, which despite my pathological aversion to spinach, was not a bad curry at all. This dish however, attracts different culinary demons. It is not about the taste (Unlike spinach, I love a decent biryani), but the technique, and as rice is the star here, I realise as a BIR chef I need to up my game. And thereby lies a paradox. The harder you try, more likely you are to fail.

As a young apprentice in an electronics factory, I had to carry trays of printed circuit boards to the department that dipped them in hot varnish. Left to my own devices, I was more than capable of performing such a fairly mundane task, but my manager at the time (who suffered from either male genitalia growing out his skull or female genitalia encompassing his whole persona) yelled out “Make sure you don't drop these boards” as I walked into the spray booth. Yep. At the bark of his command I stalled and the whole lot ended on the floor. I was so concerned about doing the right thing, so focused on “his masters voice”, I lost it. This was a valuable lesson amongst many, not until later did my managers incompetence (or some would suspect malevolence) reveal itself fully – I was almost electrocuted by him failing to isolate some three phase (750v) I was working on. His internal psychology was exposed as he laughed at the resulting bang and the loss of my eyebrows.

And so it is with cooking rice. Apart from pasta (which I have got down to a fine art), just about anything with starch as a major ingredient I struggle with. If tasked with cooking a pot of a rice alone, I can do it to perfection as I will watch it like a hawk, taste and sample and dish up a perfect plate of rice. But give me 5 or 6 other tasks to perform at the same time (a regular demand for a curry chef) and I just cannot fall into that groove of automatic pilot without me crash landing. It is no surprise then that one of my treasured “rescue in a house fire items” is my cheapo Aldi rice steamer. No way can it turn out rice as well as I can in single process mode, but I have to admit, it has never turned out rice anywhere near as bad as I have on my worse days. What is more intriguing is that Mrs GB is scared of it, and could not bring herself to press the button to steam some green beans the other day. It was only when I was alerted by the plaintive cry of “Why is this not getting hot” did I realise what was going on.

So it was pretty much pre-determined that the rice would come straight of the steamer into the fry pan. The chicken tikka was CA's classic recipe, and the pre-cooked veg a mix of potato, cauliflower and carrot cooked in an experimental pressure cooker base sauce. Mix powder was my own, and considerable time was spent in the BIR confessional as Mrs GB could not find flaked almonds in any of the 3 supermarkets around here and I completely forgot to buy any sultanas due to the resulting domestic angst. Mrs GB did purchase a bag of whole almonds, but I realised that slicing them would not bring the correct texture to the dish.

Cook off was quite surprising. I was concerned that adding mix powder to the limited amount of oil / large rice volume would leave the dish a bit harsh, but this was not the case at all. My concerns about fluid level were negated by not having to add base to the rice, in reality the whole rice side if the dish was more akin to cooking Chinese special fried rice, which I don't have a problem with (the trick being either leave the rice to cool overnight or slightly under-cook it before frying if hot). The sauce was standard BIR technique, no major surprises there.

I really do like a decent biryani. From the restaurant dishes I have had in the past, it was slightly less fragrant no doubt down to my use of plain boiled rice rather than pilau. That said, I actually managed to assemble a very decent supper, so much so Mrs GB gave it a 9. The rice was separate, the tikka moist and full of flavour. For anyone terrified by the complexities of the biryani, this is a foolproof recipe for you. Provided the rice that goes into the pan in separate and not stodgy, you will have will not have a problem.

So I will end with a rally cry for Curry Club. Once again, despite my reservations I knuckled down and cooked a dish that normally I would normally avoid either due to the ingredients or the techniques involved but I learned something and enjoyed myself in the process. Some of the ingredients may be esoteric, but unless they are essential to the dish (and forum members will be able to advise on that) – dive in. And that is what Curry Club is all about, having some fun, reviewing our successes and failures but most of all learning something.

The major lesson I have learned out of all of this is don't show your wife via their online website the fact Tesco sells flaked almonds when she has tried Asda, Morrisons and Aldi. I am currently writing this from the shed.
Attachments
sat_005.JPG
sat_005.JPG (222.58 KiB) Viewed 49184 times
sat_006.JPG
sat_006.JPG (187.17 KiB) Viewed 49184 times
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Carpaddict
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Tikka Masalla
Wales

Post by Carpaddict »

Not logged for some time but I must say the idea of a curry club is great, its very easy to stick to the tried and trusted method and recipes when there are so many available on this site. Is there a closing date for entries into the Decembers recipe
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

We normally wrap up at the start of the following month, so still plenty of time to join in, Carpaddict.
edwin catflap
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: King prawn madras
Great Britain

Post by edwin catflap »

Made this today along with Dips onion salad to go with prawns which I will add at the end, the veg I used was cauliflower broccoli carrots and peas. The brown thing in the rice is cassia from the pre cooked pilau

Ed
Attachments
image.jpeg
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Looks good ec. What was your verdict on this recipe ?
Chickenbhoona
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tilkka Bhoona.

Post by Chickenbhoona »

Good god Ed that all looks majestic, salivation city looking at that :thumbup:
Nice but dim. :confused:
edwin catflap
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: King prawn madras
Great Britain

Post by edwin catflap »

Thanks guys! I love this recipe in fact I think it's my original link to the vid

Ed