• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

November's Curry Club Curry of the Month is cartz's Hari Mirchi Bhuna Gosht (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

February 2016 - rshome123's Rogan Josh

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken

Re: Rogan Josh (rshome123)

Post by Greybeard » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Cooked a beef version of this last night following the instructions by the letter, albeit going to Aldi to get the yogurt I was missing - then promptly forgot to add it at the end. Doh .....

Rogan Josh is a complex curry, and response from OH, likewise. "Too hot" was the comment last night, but the portion I left in the fridge was consumed by SWMBO at lunch without murmur or complaint.

My personal experience of RJ is more fragrant, maybe a touch less heat. I pre-heated the spices, then ground them. There was something lacking in the depth department. IMHO, an RJ should be multi dimensional, and my attempt was a bit flat. Maybe I should have followed my instincts and added the juice from the pre-cooked beef ....

I also used a simpler base, a personal variation of SB's (no coriander and little tomato). I suspect if I used Al's base, I'd have been closer to the mark. Your mix though :-)

Not a failure by any means, I just need to capture some BIR richness ....
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:44 pm

Both :yahoo: and :roll:. Thanks for trying it out. I'm going to produce another Rogan Josh recipe at some point. Needs some adjustment to what tasted good a couple of times.

Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken

Post by Greybeard » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:58 am

Were you using Keema every time? That might explain a few things (e.g. fat content).

Have done some reading up, and there seems to be 2 versions of RJ, one with onions and one with yoghurt. I am going to have another stab at it tonight .....
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:46 am

Thanks for getting with the spirit of curry club and giving this a go, gb. Anyone else up for trying this out?

TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Chicken Madras

Post by TikkaTom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:47 pm

I'll give it a go this week time permitting Alchy!

Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal

Post by Westy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:20 pm

We've given this recipe a try tonight since it's the curry club recipe and what a revelation it is :thumbup:

I'm really , really impressed with this one . Yes , the ingredients list is longer than I'm used to but we could taste nearly everything in there . The whole spices give lovely bursts of flavour and the whole dish has layer upon layer of flavour . I set out the ingredients in order of use ( that exhausted my ramekin collection :D ) which helped a lot and I would advise similar.

All to spec accept the following . Fresh chicken added before the first ladle of base . I only had green cardamom seeds not black .

I used my mix powder and CA's original base .

Thanks rs - straight into our top 5 :yahoo:
Attachments
image.jpeg
rshome's Rogan Josh
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....

Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:24 pm

Another satisfied Curry Club, customer :thumbup: . Have a drink on me at the Clubhouse bar for your efforts, Westy :beer2:

Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal

Post by Westy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:55 pm

You are a gent Alchy ! .... I don't care what the others say :D
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....

rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by rshome123 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:57 pm

:thumbup: :yahoo: Thanks for giving it a go Westy. Glad you enjoyed it. :yes:

TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Chicken Madras

Post by TikkaTom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:32 pm

Gave this a try tonight, it was very tasty as expected and quite unique! The wife thought that the cherry tomatoes were a particularly nice touch. Sorry no photos, my phone ran out of battery :(

My only criticism would be that the list of ingredients is too long and complex, I like to keep things simple! Nice work as usual though RS :)

rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by rshome123 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks TT, glad you enjoyed it. I try to make my curries just a little bit different, partly so they don't all look and taste the same. I'm aware that the list of ingredients is long, and prep time accordingly so, but I aim to create BIR style recipes that we can produce at home, without the pressures of time and cost that the BIR TA/Restaurants are restricted by. This one is one my most complicated recipes, but sometimes the 'less is more' also holds true.

Recipe and further comments here - Admin

Return to “Curry Club (Guests Welcome to Browse)”