• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

March 2016 - Westy's Chicken Pathia

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

(This recipe can be found in the recipe section here - Admin)

Chicken Pathia

Hot , sweet and sour - full flavoured curry

Serves 2 hearty eaters or 3 watching their figures:
Attachments
Westy's Pathia
Westy's Pathia
image.jpeg (107.94 KiB) Viewed 15944 times
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Re: Westy's Chicken Pathia

Post by Greybeard »

That looks superb Westy, we desperately need smell-o-vision + taste-o-vision on this forum.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Does look good Westy. With that amount of (Sharwoods) Mango Chutney and Sugar you must like the balance of Pathia in favour of Sweet.
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Thanks rs - it's nicely balanced actually ( for my taste at least ) - usually I shy away from sweet . There is enough lemon juice and tamarind to more than compensate for the mango chutney I reckon - I would agree it's full flavoured though ! :D
charliebir
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Pathia, Garlic Chilli, Madras.
Scotland

Post by charliebir »

Looks great, Westy. Photo just "winks" sweet and sour to me :thumbup:
Charlie.
seafret
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken madras, King prawn bhuna, mushroom pakoras

Post by seafret »

Delicious sounding and great looking curry Westy. Have you been working at this recipe for a while?
Free poppadoms and pickles with orders over £15. Tuesday nights only before 6pm.
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

Certainly looks the part with plenty of runny gravy and authentic chunks of pale chicken. As luck would have it I've just got a few jars of Patak's mango chutney for 89p each.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Post by British Indian »

Now that DOES look the business. Another one to try....thanks for sharing Westy
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Greybeard wrote:That looks superb Westy, we desperately need smell-o-vision + taste-o-vision on this forum.
Thanks Gb - agreed :D
charliebir wrote:Looks great, Westy. Photo just "winks" sweet and sour to me :thumbup:
Thanks Charlie - it's a tasty winker alright :D
seafret wrote:Delicious sounding and great looking curry Westy. Have you been working at this recipe for a while?
Thanks seafret - I tried a couple of others but I prefer my curries more robustly flavoured and wanted to make a Pathia that left you in no doubt about what you were eating :D
ScotchBonnet wrote:Certainly looks the part with plenty of runny gravy and authentic chunks of pale chicken. As luck would have it I've just got a few jars of Patak's mango chutney for 89p each.
I've tried Pataks mango chutney and it has a slight gingery flavour that may make an interesting addition - I'd be pleased if you'd try it SB :D
British Indian wrote:Now that DOES look the business. Another one to try....thanks for sharing Westy
Thanks BI - if you get around to trying this I'd be very interested in your thoughts :D
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Looks good, Westy, thank you for sharing your recipe with us 8-)

PS: Which "tamarind paste" are you using?
CA (aka Admin) :)
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Thanks Cory :thumbup:

I'm using this one Cory - not through choice but due to the lack of !. Slovaks are not huge consumers of tamarind I have deduced.
Attachments
Tamarind paste
Tamarind paste
image.jpeg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 15884 times
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Thanks to Greybeard for selecting this month's recipe, which can be found here.

As usual, please post your wonderful efforts into the recipe thread above. Good luck and enjoy!
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Don't forget this is the Curry Club recipe of the month - so let's see a few attempts at this one! 8-)
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Human beings are strange creatures. We love variety, but hate change. Anything outside our comfort zone for the majority of people, especially in this green and pleasant island – is met with a certain resistance. Sometime though, we lose our English reserve and jump in for the hell of it – and so it was with the Pathia. Which is just as well really, as I am a Scotsman.

Let me explain. There are certain curries with which I am intimately acquainted, and others that I have serious problems with. Pathia is one of them. Why? Apart from the simple fact I have not tried a range of them in Indian BIR restaurants, I don't know what a good one is supposed to taste like. Early on I cooked a Pathia for a friend who is very familiar with the dish, and while he enjoyed it, it was not up to BIR standard. Now this could have fatally scarred my BIR cooking endeavours as I was still a relative novice, but I realised it was my lack of understanding of the qualities of the curry. Hot, sour, sweet. Once I understood that, I could tie in the character of the curry with the ingredients and the technique.

This cooking session was scheduled for last weekend, but due to an unfortunate incident with a food processor blade, the middle finger of my right hand is a bit unwell at the moment. In theory, this should be OK as I am left handed, but I use a kitchen knife with my right. As I was out of reference base, this posed a problem, but by Thursday night after a marathon session (Base + 2 curries + GG paste) and multiple plasters and Steri Strips, I was ready for the off.

Up in the isolated regions of Cumbria, Tamarind paste is not a supermarket staple. Fortunately, Tesco now have a dedicated “foodie” range which includes this, and a jar had already been squirreled away in my ever growing spice stash. Other than that, no modification to the ingredients or measures was made, apart from the reduction of chilli powder from 1 tablespoon to three quarters, due to my better half's scathing comment about my pork vindaloo. I will not repeat it here as I have posted it elsewhere on the forum, but the maxims “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” and “The female of the species is deadlier than the male” will give you some clue as to the verbal response I received when requesting a rating out of 10 for that dish.

So onto the cook. Provided you can get hold of the ingredients, it is simple to prepare and measure. I used pre-cooked chicken, but in a few minutes you can prepare fresh if you prefer. For someone starting out, there are no real “gotchas”, unlike a vindaloo or some madras's or Kormas where the quantity of spices can be difficult to control at the fry stage due to dryness. I left my largest burner on medium / high throughout, (I did not use my wok burner) simply because I was multitasking and wanted to wander away from the stove for a minute or so to get plates etc. The only point I had to keep an eagle eye on the curry was after adding the tomato paste and water mix, which was a a lot thicker than I usually add (I actually followed the measurements for once rather than going by “chef's guess” which for me is a more watery mix). This did bind to the pan a bit, but the addition of some base soon sorted this out.

I was worried upon pre-serve tasting that this was going to be too hot for my better half. I was originally going to swap the madras for a milder curry powder, but in the end I think I made the right decision to go with the hotter powder, as this gave the curry a nice “middle level” hum. I didn't need to adjust any ingredients prior to serving.

Paula rated this as a 8/10, which I say is a resounding accolade from someone who would only touch Korma when I first met them.

For me, this curry was a revelation. Prior to tonight, I didn't get the whole sweet / sour / hot Indian curry vibe, mainly as I have generally tended to lean towards the hotter end of the spectrum. Monday night was always Phal night. Flat out, Ferrari curry. Discussing with colleagues around the office Pathia is quite popular. And I can see why. When balanced right, it warms you, sweetens you and has that astringent edge that like a good appetizer, demands that you come back for more. I can see why some Pathia fans want to ramp up the heat, but that is the only potential failing of this curry (as a dish, not this recipe). Getting the balance right is tricky, and if you experiment with quantities, especially the sweet / sour / hot ingredients, you will come unstuck unless you know what you are doing. Which, as an apprentice, I succumbed to and got totally wrong. This is not an “in your face” curry, the whole idea is much more subtle. Yes it was hot, but I didn't sweat. Yes it was sour, but the sweetness counteracted that. You can't fake a Pathia. This is a binary curry. You either make a good one, or not. A good curry, yes, but not a Pathia. The fact my wife gave it an 8 says everything. I'll give it a qualified 9, only because I have not had a Pathia in a BIR so I can't vouch for that “real BIR taste”. And I am submitting my membership application to the “Pathia Lover's Club” forthwith, only on the understanding that they have a complete newbie on their hands.

Westy's Pathia is a paradox on a plate. Easy to cook, but with dimensions that suggest an awful lot more effort has gone in to the cooking. Provided of course, you stick to the quantities. Forgive me Westy, but that quarter tablespoon of Kashmiri chilli powder may have saved me from a weekend of living in the shed. Or worse still, potentially having another encounter with the food processor blade - this time clutched in the hands of my wife suffering chilli overdose, used to wreak revenge on the power leads of my rice cooker, spice grinder, hotplate, hand blender and curry station that currently clutter our kitchen and dining room.
1.JPG
1.JPG (70.38 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (103.34 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (114.07 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (131.84 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (123.31 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (142.66 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (88.08 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (107.13 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
Last edited by Greybeard on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

:):
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Wow , that's how to write a review for the Curry Club :thumbup:

Thanks for taking the time to do that Gb - enjoyable as ever to read . I'm very pleased that you tried the recipe and followed it to the letter too ( chilli aside ) . Great photos !.

I'm very pleased as well that you both enjoyed the curry :thumbup:
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

You have earned yourself a place in the big easy chair in the snug area of the curry club for that write up gb! Once I get some more base made I will be having a go myself. I think I will make a separate portion for myself to experience the full chilli impact.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks guys. I do hope the snug comes equipped with real ale, or horror of horror's - a decent red wine. To my utter amusement, I have discovered that my elderly compact camera with a proper flash takes much better curry photos (despite the lower resolution) than any of my mobile devices. So there will be a lot more photos to come ....
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

When it comes to photo's, the lens is very important. Hence my mega-mega pixel phone camera is worse than my old 1.5 megapixel Fuiji camera with its compact, but very nice, Fujinon lenses. Remember that photos uploaded to this (and many other) sites are often way less than a megabyte in size.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
Squibo
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Squibo »

Made it, liked it, forgot to take a picture :angry: