• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

April 2016 - UncleFranks Chicken Sagwala

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by unclefrank »

(This recipe can be found in the recipe section here - Admin)

Chicken Sagwalla(CA)Revised Serves 2-3
Chicken Saag %28SS%29 %282%29.JPG
Chicken Saag %28SS%29 %282%29.JPG (103.07 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Re: Chicken Sagwala

Post by Cory Ander »

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us UF 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
fordpopular

Chicken Sagwala

Post by fordpopular »

Well My First Attempt seems to have gone quite well
Using CA's Base and the Chicken Sagwala recipe posted by unclefrank

everyone loved it
sagwala_zpsdeadedde.jpg
sagwala_zpsdeadedde.jpg (97.22 KiB) Viewed 10740 times
Willyeckerslike
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
England

Post by Willyeckerslike »

looks really nice did it taste as goodas it looks?
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by unclefrank »

Excellent picture glad you enjoyed it.
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Phal
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

That looks great fordpopular .. well done !!
A curry can never be ‘too garlicky’ or ‘too hot’ .....
beachbum
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by beachbum »

Now I know what I'm going to do with that block of frozen spinach that's been taking up room in the freezer :lol:

Made it once according to the "Curry Guy" website and it was far more tasty than the Chicken Sagwala from the Indian TA up the road where I lived at the time, so keen to try it again with a more complex base / recipe.

I'll try the recipe, making some base this afternoon and precooked some chicken yesterday.
unclefrank
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Great Britain

Post by unclefrank »

You can if you want is add one block of frozen spinach leaves to the 300ml of base once heated through and the spinach has defrosted blend it all together to give a green looking base, then follow recipe, tried this Sunday in a Sagwala and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just gives a little extra colour and texture to the finished dish.

I also do this method when making Palak Paneer.
roganrich
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by roganrich »

Gave this a crack the other night as the wife loves a good sagwala. Was pretty impressed with the results!
Attachments
IMG_20160102_202615.jpg
IMG_20160102_202615.jpg (168.15 KiB) Viewed 10427 times
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Well done for being the first to try it and report back , and with a photo Rich :thumbup:

Sounds as though you were both suitably impressed - how does it compare to a T/A please in your opinion ?

Did you cook it to spec please ?
roganrich
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by roganrich »

Thanks Westy. I'd say it was as nice as our local curry house :)

I added 1tsp of sugar and 1tbsp of Tikka Marinade. I also only used frozen chopped spinach and kept adding cubes until I felt it looked right (not an exact science sorry lol). I don't have any curry oil so left that out too.
Westy
HABANERO
HABANERO
Slovakia

Post by Westy »

Thanks Rich - when you say 'Tikka Marinade ' - what do you mean please ? . Is it your usual Tikka marinade , jarred or something altogether different ?.

I like your approach with the spinach cubes :D
roganrich
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by roganrich »

Sorry I meant to say Tandoori Masala not Tikka Marinade.
roganrich
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by roganrich »

Afternoon folks!

It's my absolute pleasure to announce this month's Curry Club Recipe - UncleFranks Chicken Sagwala.

You can find the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=99

Happy cooking!

Cheers,

Rich
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Re: April 2016 - UncleFranks Chicken Sagwala

Post by Alchemist »

Cheers rr. We are switching back from this month onwards to posting any photos and feedback on the Curry Club recipe in the Curry Club thread, rather than the original recipe thread. Good luck!
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Roganrich, do you have any tips on this recipe, such as any changes made to the ingredients which do look quite diverse?
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Spinach. That dark green vegetable that has struck terror into the hearts of children so much that a cartoon character was enlisted to boost the media profile of this iron rich leaf. So it was with great trepidation that I approached this dish, and to be quite honest it is not my favourite vegetable. In moderation, I can cope with it. If offered as a vegetable side, I will accept only to be polite. And take a very small spoonful. Preferably, a teaspoon.

Sagwala as a dish so far has escaped my list of experienced dishes when frequenting Indian restaurants, and apart from the mandatory encounter with Saag Aloo (hoping that the potato, spices and indeed alcohol would obfuscate any presence of Spinacia oleracea), once again I was entering new BIR territory – not knowing what the dish is meant to taste like. That said, my spinach phobia extends to other cuisines as well, any mention of the wretched stuff in any language will cause me to choose something else. A large glass of red wine, for instance. Unless it is slipped in underneath my radar, any dish that contains considerable quantities of Popeye's favourite tinned delicacy is not going to make me jump for joy and rush to eat – or indeed cook it. Maybe it is down to the fact that German chemist Erich von Wolf mistakenly determined that the iron content was 35mg / 100g rather than 3.5 mg or possibly reincarnation is a valid concept, for during World War One wine fortified with spinach juice was given to French soldiers weakened by haemorrhage. Either way, it was fortunate we had 6 frozen blocks languishing in the freezer. And it is Curry Club after all. So I dragged myself kicking and screaming out of my warm easy chair by the fire and got down to it.

First thing I did was a quick audit of my ingredients at home against the recipe. 3 Blocks Frozen Spinach Leaves. Surprisingly, Check. CA's base. Check. Frozen Spinach Puree – defrost frozen spinach, drain and blitz. Check. 1 TSP Curry Oil, nope. Other than that, and using Westy's mix powder other than CA's, we were good to go.

Maybe I am getting old, but I tried in vain to find out what that the ingredients marked with an asterisk meant in the post. Are they are special ingredients to calm the disposition of those that are scared of spinach I asked myself? I don't know, but I liked them all and added them anyway. The only shock to the system was no garlic ginger paste. I have a huge lump residing in the vegetable rack, and as I am loath to blend and freeze it (I'm not convinced on that particular method) I was disappointed as I could not use some. Mrs GB has been very keen to remind me “We have lots of ginger”, so it looks like a pot of base this week. The day we don't have garlic in this house is the day my wife and I will be heading towards divorce. I can survive without toilet paper, but garlic? My wife would say that I use it to disguise my poor culinary skills. That aside, it was on with the cook.

This recipe is very straightforward, provided you can get a hold of the ingredients (and there is nothing particularly scary in there apart from the curry oil), it is easy to implement. I overcooked the onions slightly, so they were slightly brown at the edges (in my pan, onions don't soften after a minute) and I was foolhardy and didn’t place a lid on my curry pan (I don't have a dedicated one and I am a pedant) so went for the “stir, baste and break up frozen spinach” method, which altered the texture of the pre-cooked chicken slightly. OK, a lot. Considerable quantities broke up. I was in the process of cooking some fried rice for teenage daughter at the time - that is my excuse and I am sticking to it. Ho hum …..

The result? Once I recovered from the shock of the colour shift from bright green to light brown after adding the tomatoes, it was a pretty decent curry. Mrs GB gave it a 9, and I went back and got second helpings despite my reservations. Served with an anonymous fried rice (to protect the guilty parties) it made an excellent cure for a curry addict suffering from withdrawal symptoms after 24 hours abstinence.

Would I cook it again? If requested, yes, but for me as a dish I would have to increase the garlic levels and add a bit of ginger to get over the spinach shock. And maybe add more heat. Which would probably ruin the whole concept entirely, as this dish is really about the spinach. Texture and flavour wise it was good, it is just the whole spinach thing for me. Turn sideways, and I'll fall down a drain. Popeye and I are very different characters. If you like or appreciate spinach, this is the curry for you. As for me, now where is my tin of garlic …..
Attachments
Scary green spinach ...
Scary green spinach ...
Hmm. Tomatoes + Spinach = interesting colour
Hmm. Tomatoes + Spinach = interesting colour
Trying to be arty farty with the photo ....
Trying to be arty farty with the photo ....
Forgive the rice. Yes I know it is a serious offence to mention Chinese cuisine here ....
Forgive the rice. Yes I know it is a serious offence to mention Chinese cuisine here ....
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
roganrich
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by roganrich »

Just what I've mentioned above really Alchemist.

I tend not to use precooked chicken, I instead opt to cook the chicken in the pan first with some oil and a bit of Tandoori Masala to coat it. I've had better results with the Sagwala using Frozen Chopped Spinach rather than Frozen Leaves and just keep adding them until you're happy with the Spinach content really :)
Chilliman
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Chilliman »

Picked some wild garlic yesterday with a view to making a Sagwala so thought it was a good opportunity to try this recipe. The only differences were that I used chopped wild garlic instead of spinach, I added a few pieces of new potato, and used JB's base. I didn't have time to make naans so served with Waitrose garlic and coriander naans, a nice chewy texture and far better than any other supermarket naan I've tried.

It turned out to be one of the best curries I've ever made, the taste was superb. Here are a few pictures.
Attachments
Wild Garlic.JPG
Chicken Sagwala Frying.JPG
Chicken Sagwala.jpg
Chicken Sagwala with Waitrose Naan.JPG
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

That looks phenomenal, Chilliman. I have never tasted wild garlic or the leaves - what are they like? Impressed by the innovation (and the garlic, of course) ... :thumbup:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.