• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

April 2016 - UncleFranks Chicken Sagwala

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Re: April 2016 - UncleFranks Chicken Sagwala

Post by rshome123 »

That plate of food looks superbulous, ChilliMan. I've had the pleasure of eating wild garlic, and it's amazing stuff. Especially with scrambled egg (but I digress).

That reminds me, must get some more. Completely different from Spinach of course.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Well done, Chilliman, thanks for trying this and sharing your results and photos with us (nice to see you participating!) 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
Chilliman
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Chilliman »

Thanks for the comments.

Wild garlic is not garlic as such, people generally only eat the leaves which are more oniony than garlicky in taste. There is also less of an 'iron' taste with wild garlic than spinach. When added to the curry, they didn't break down as much as spinach and added a soft bite to the meal. I added the potatoes to bulk up the curry as I only had a small chicken breast but this actually enhanced the meal as they went well with the leaves.

Either way, I would recommend the recipe with either wild garlic or spinach. It was magnificent and as good as any BIR I have tasted.
TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Chicken Madras

Post by TikkaTom »

Gave this dish a try tonight. Made it to spec except I had no spinach puree so just added extra frozen spinach. Also doubled up as I wasn't confident it would feed 3.

The curry turned out nice and thick and had a good taste, reminiscent of a restaurant Saagwala. Its a nice dish to have for a change but for me it was a little under-spiced and delicate. The wife really liked it but agreed it could do with a little more "oomph". I think the spinach can overpower the spice flavours so if I did it again, would add a bit more spice mix.
IMG_20160408_201514.jpg
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

When you say that you "made it to spec", TT, did you use the precooked chicken, curry base, spice mix, etc, that UF specifies in his recipe? I ask because it can (of course) have a significant bearing on the resultant curry.
CA (aka Admin) :)
TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by TikkaTom »

No to be fair CA I used Steveparadoxs base and basaar spice mix as that's all I has so not quite exactly to spec!
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Looks very nice TT. Hopefully I will have some more base gravy made up soon and can have a bash myself.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

With the days getting warmer it was time for the first attempt at al fresco cooking today, using my burner. In true UK style what had been a very still day turned breezy the moment I stoked up the burner to full heat; fortunately I was well prepared with a roll of tin foil which was used to create a wind break 'skirt' around the bottom of the said burner, ensuring the effects of the wind were mitigated.

The local shop had no frozen spinach, but lots of fresh, so this was wilted down and half of it blitzed to a puree.

The recipe was followed as closely as possible, although I did not have any curry oil and was using the Fusion base and Curried Away mixed powder.

Cooking this dish was easy enough, I had to add more salt at the end to get the flavours to fully come through.

The verdict, my son gave is a 9 (very high for him, he is a hard task master), my wife was less keen saying there was a strange taste (I suspect she is not a spinach fan) and myself an 8.5, very enjoyable with satisfying and complex flavours and textures.

You certainly get your fair share of your 5 a day with this dish as well as a tasty curry to boot, so a winner all round :thumbup:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Squibo
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Squibo »

Finally got round to making this month's curry.
2016-04-24 22.02.20.jpg
Not the biggest fan of spinach but this was quite nice and does make a change from the usual chicken and gravy combo.
I think I could have fried the first part a little harder but generally I was pleased with the outcome, though agree with the addition of extra salt.
TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by TikkaTom »

Looks good Squibo! Is that a Thali you have on the go there too?
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Squibo,

What rice is that you have there? I have never seen such lovely white rice in a long time, or maybe it is my camera & lighting :w00t:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Squibo
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Squibo »

Shamefully it's microwave basmati :) If I'm honest I quite often cba to cook rice properly.
If it helps anyone it's Veetee brand, I've tried many and that's the best one I've come across.

I also use a plastic spoon ;)
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

At this rate you will be up before the Curry Club committee for gross misconduct, Squibo :lol::
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Thanks to everyone who took part in this month's Curry Club. Please submit any further attempts at this recipe in the original recipe thread.