• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

May 2016 - ScotchBonnet's Garlic Chilli Chicken

Group testing of selected forum recipes by forum members
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Re: May 2016 - ScotchBonnet's Garlic Chilli Chicken

Post by ScotchBonnet »

I'm flattered, guys. Off to make a triple-sized portion for tonight.
Last edited by ScotchBonnet on Thu May 05, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Put this together tonight, photos and write up over the weekend ....
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Chilliman
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Chilliman »

Having nominated this as Curry Club recipe of the month for May, I thought I would try it myself.

Wow, this really is a fantastic curry! I followed the recipe which was very clear and easy to follow and the resulting curry was probably the best I've ever made. It was as good, if not better than most I've paid for in a restaurant or takeaway. I served it with vegetable fried rice.

Notes and observations were as follows:

1. I used JB's base and CA mix powder 2.
2. I thought the chicken would be overcooked adding it so early in the cooking process. In fact it was tender and had taken on the flavour of the curry well. I will try using raw (vs pre-cooked) chicken again.
3. I usually add the garlic/ginger at the beginning of the cooking process. Adding it a bit later changed the flavour giving the dish more of a restaurant curry taste. Again, I will try this in other recipes to see if I can achieve the same flavour.
4. I liked the flavour of the tamarind which was less harsh and more rounded than lemon juice.

Thanks for posting the original recipe SB. I enjoyed cooking and eating this and your techniques have given me a few things to think about.

Chilliman
Attachments
SB's Garlic Chilli Chicken
SB's Garlic Chilli Chicken
SB's Garlic Chilli Chicken & Vegetable Rice
SB's Garlic Chilli Chicken & Vegetable Rice
SB's Garlic Chilli Chicken & Vegetable Rice Plated
SB's Garlic Chilli Chicken & Vegetable Rice Plated
Funny Greek
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Garlic chilli chicken
England

Post by Funny Greek »

Looks Good! Made a version based on the original recipie recently and would offer it to any of my family and friends.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Nice, Chilliman, thanks for trying it, so soon, and for posting your results and photos 8-)

PS: Care to share your recipe for your vegetable fried rice?
CA (aka Admin) :)
Mr.Everready
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Mr.Everready »

I'm flattered, guys. Off to make a triple-sized portion for tonight.
I plan to make this tonight SB and it will be at least a double portion, how would you increase the ingredients ?
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

I basically started with about 90ml oil and tripled the amount of most items with the exception of the extra-hot chilli powder where a put in just 1 rounded tsp.

Technique-wise I deviated a bit from how I'd do a single portion. Using a wok, I cooked the onions first then added in the chillies, garlic, spices etc. and cooked it a bit slower than usual to get a paste. Once this looked (and smelled) cooked I shoved it to the side of the wok (with the wok off-centre on the burner to avoid frazzling the paste), added a bit more oil and fried the raw chicken until the colour changed. Then I added a couple of ladles of thick base gravy, let it bubble and reduce and then mixed everything together and gradually added more gravy. I thinned the sauce down a bit with some boiling water to get the desired consistency then simmered it for maybe 5-6 minutes then turned the heat off.

At first tasting the curry was a little less spicy than usual but as it sat for a few minutes before service the flavour leached out of the green chillies and it turned out right. The chicken was cooked through and very tender and moist.

I nearly forgot the coriander but reading a post by Cory Ander jogged my memory and I stirred a few tsp finely chopped frozen coriander stalks into the curry and sprinkled some frozen leaves on top.

@Chilliman - thank you for trying and for posting the pictures. I, too, would like to know which recipe you used for that very tasty-looking rice.
Mr.Everready
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Mr.Everready »

Thanks SB :cool:

I pre cooked some chicken last night so no cooking of chicken involved. Also, I can't get green chillies down here so I'll be using 7/8 fresh Birds Eye's. I also have some dried. I bought a mortar & pestle today so may well gound down a few and throw them in too.
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

I got the chillies from ASDA. They are labelled "hot and fiery thin chillies" and the country of origin is India. They freeze well and you can slice them straight from frozen. They got some negative reviews on the ASDA website along the lines of they aren't as hot as they used to be but I find them adequately hot and quite tasty. There's chilli powder in the dish, too, remember. Use what you've got and adjust to taste.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Over the past couple of months, the GB household has been suffering from YAGCCD, Yet Another Garlic Chilli Chicken Dish. Garlic is a staple in our household, and when we are taking a break from curries, garlic and chicken are such a match made in heaven, this combination extends to Italian and French dishes so there is rarely any chance of escape. Even the pasta dish I cooked up for Teenage Daughter (in lieu of curry) included chicken and garlic, so it is without reservation I hereby patent the GB family phrase - "Mmmmm - Garlic".

Garlic chilli chicken is a fairly basic dish, and there is not a huge amount of room for manoeuvre when it comes down to ingredients. Technique? Yes. The ingredients do not allow for such luxuries, however. I must admit I did struggle to a certain degree with this dish. Clearly, I have not followed the typical cultural stereotype of what it is to be a macho man, nor have I succumbed to dietary additives that may have transformed my meagre 10st frame into one of muscle, bulk, and irresistible appeal to the opposite sex. The closest I have got to a six pack is beer. So squashing garlic, without a cast iron frying pan or a decent Chinese meat cleaver was going to be a bit of struggle with my narrow, weighty, slightly flexible kitchen knife. Yes, I have tried it before and no, going around the kitchen picking up cloves of garlic that having projected themselves from between the wooden chopping board and knife like silver bullets destined for Dracula's heart is not good news. So I settled for a compromise, rather than road-kill garlic I went more for the "bounced off the fender and and fatally wounded" genre. Adequately squashed, with the internals spilling out, but still retaining a reminiscence of the shape of the original.

Base was my own PC base, mix powder was CA mix 1 (actually with ginger this time). I used Degghi Murch as the chilli powder. No compromise was made other than the quantity of garlic, the remaining bulb of garlic went into the freshly ground paste. No gotcha's with the technique, and dish was duly served.

Mrs GB complained about the heat. Giving it a 4, the ice-cream stash at chez GB was duly raided. This low score is in no way a reflection on the dish, rather than my lousy presentation and dishing up skills. Checking my plate, I found a grand total of zero fresh chilli. By the time I realised this, the damage was done. My score, without chilli, would be a 9, a 9.5 if I managed just to get that extra bit of heat.

The only mod I would make to this dish would be to add a touch of some raw GG paste at the end, just to add another layer of garlic.

Another winner from ScotchBonnet, and I would encourage everyone to try this if they want a balanced mix of heat and garlic. And of course chicken. I don't think it would work with well red meat .....
Mmmmmmm - Garlic
Mmmmmmm - Garlic
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Some good looking attempts there, chilliman and gb. My turn tomorrow, wish me luck!
Mr.Everready
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Mr.Everready »

Well, I made this tonight. Superb :thumbup:
Attachments
DSC_0145.JPG
TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Chicken Madras

Post by TikkaTom »

Good efforts GB and Mr E! :cool2: I'll be sure to try this next week.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Looking good Everready, what base did you use and is that a vegetable fried rice?
seafret
HABANERO
HABANERO
Favourite Curries: Chicken madras, King prawn bhuna, mushroom pakoras

Post by seafret »

Three great looking and delicious sounding dishes there Greybeard, Mr Eveready and Chilliman. Well done chaps! :yes:
Free poppadoms and pickles with orders over £15. Tuesday nights only before 6pm.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

I made a treble portion of this for the family today. All to spec, with fusion base and curried away mixed powder. Tamarind was concentrated so used a third of the amount specified. My son was impressed and gave it 8.5 out of 10, which I think was a fair rating. Lots of nice flavours going on. If I made again I may add a little additional seasoning, but I often say that about curries!
Attachments
image.jpeg
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Post by ScotchBonnet »

Looks very good, Alchemist. I tend to try to keep the salt levels down. You get used to it and I also find naan salty enough; maybe it's more noticeable with rice alone.
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

Made this today - very nice curry. I think the whole (but crushed) garlic is a good idea, and the end of cooking GM/Seasoning give it a lift.

Used my pre-cooked chicken, base gravy and mix powder. Chopped the onions, forgot to slice them instead. Bullet chillies not finger chillies.

Well done SB... great stuff.

Excuse the photo quality.
Attachments
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

No, I will not excuse the excellent photo quality. Love the bubbling action shot. The lighting is superb, and I want some of that curry NOW. 8-)
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Yes, the photos are so poor that I want to slap a 'Quality Control' sticker on my iPad. In fact, there, I've done it! :laugh: