• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Vac seal

Chat about vacuum sealers
Kennyg
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Chicken balti

Vac seal

Post by Kennyg »

Hi best thing l have purchased great for marinade chicken lamb you name it would recommend :yes:
ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Re: Vac seal

Post by ScotchBonnet »

1] Does it taste/work better than just putting things in a tub or a normal bag?
2] If it does work better, do you know why this might be? I.e is the exclusion of air something to do with it?
3] Or, is it just neater? Or, is it because you sous vide your meat or for some other reason?

I'm always interested when members do something in a particular way as to why they do it so I can decide whether it is maybe something I might want to try. Being Scottish I am faced with the decision of whether to wash out and re-use takeaway containers (our favourite Chinese actually use the best) or whether to buy another gadget plus the consumables (bags, in this case).
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

I would guess the removal of air may reduce the chances of freezer burn?
strideredc
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by strideredc »

Could you put a link up or pm it as i wanted one of these but was not sure what to get?
TikkaTom
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Chicken Madras

Post by TikkaTom »

As I understand it the meat/fish stays fresher for much longer and avoids freezer burn as it isn't in contact with any air.
Spellbound
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Spellbound »

We have a food vacuum sealer and I can confirm that they are excellent for freezing bread and meats, freezer burn in our experience for both was nearly eliminated.

I can't comment on their use for marinading as per OP though as we have never used it for that.

For anyone that wants to experiment and doesn't want to go to the expense of a vacuum sealer this video may be useful.

Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Brilliant video there Spellbound, next time I am marinading some meat I'll give this a try. Looks really promising !!
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

A neat idea! :thumbup:
Chris P Bacon
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Dhansak

Post by Chris P Bacon »

Can confirm the water works to vacuum seal more things, also hanging things over the edge of a worktop and sliding the bag up/down can also work perfectly for large amount of spices in a ziplock bag.
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

When you marinade food in the fridge the marinade soaks into the food over time.
When you form a vacuum the air is sucked from the food and the marinade is then sucked into the food to replace the lost air. Much quicker and much deeper penitration.
Dragonsfire
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
Canada

Post by Dragonsfire »

One of the best investments Ive made in a FoodSaver as Ive mentioned before. DId some yesterday. Its great to precook chicken (meat) the fridge till ready to use. By sucking out the Air its preserved well and penetration of spices is great, no freezer burns or drying out. Cooking in crockpot low ensures juicy soft meat.
Having Home warming today, these are going on the firepit, no spice lovers coming so nothing spicy added, well chicken wings have some chipotle, thats it.
Attachments
P1120345_Chicken-1000.jpg
stee41
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Everything except curries as hot as Phal !!! phew
England

Post by stee41 »

Any specific make of sealer that I should be looking at please guys?

Thanks
Dragonsfire
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
Canada

Post by Dragonsfire »

"Foodsaver" is the most popular brand that Ive seen.
Theunisse
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Great Britain

Post by Theunisse »

They had a chap demonstrating the FoodSaver vacuum sealer in Costco this weekend - not sure of the price though.
mickyp
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Pathia, Ceylon,
Great Britain

Post by mickyp »

Ive got a Crenova one, i think they are a great asset, when marinading Tikka i do it in a bowl overnight /24 hours then vacuum seal it. I also put a label in a separately sealed bit with what it is and date as once its been in the freezer a while you wont have a clue what it is.

I also vacuum seal curry leaves, thyme, rosemary etc, the bags (made from a roll) keep them firmly flat.

i also reseal crisp packets, tie down straps for the car, bolts for the patio parasol away for the winter, handy bit of kit :thumbup:
JalfreziT
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Finland

Post by JalfreziT »

@stee41 I have a Foodsaver (model FSFSSL3040). It's been running great for about 5 years. When I bought this one, I heard that not all vacuum sealers are created equal. I paid about 120€ for ite and there were many much more expensive options.

@mickyp What super ideas! I've limited mine to protecting raw meat during long term storage in the freezer (no freezer burn after 2.5 years). I have all sorts of little stuff I need to keep dry over the winter. Thanks again for the tips!
:thankyou: :beer2:
They've been cooking on Blue Peter, now they're sampling the dishes,
I don't normally like tomatoes John but this is delicious.
kev772
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM
Great Britain

Post by kev772 »

I find the vac sealer handy for making up small packets of spice mix but for freezing food I just use zip lock bags usually.
JalfreziT
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Finland

Post by JalfreziT »

No idea why, but this poppped up in my Youtube list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j6QjxHDiJk

He explains the differences between the two technologies. If you don't have time to watch it all, the main thing is that the chamber vacuum packer is better, and can use cheaper bags. But you need to fill about a 1000 bags before you break even with the cost difference. That's a lot...
They've been cooking on Blue Peter, now they're sampling the dishes,
I don't normally like tomatoes John but this is delicious.
mickyp
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Madras, Pathia, Ceylon,
Great Britain

Post by mickyp »

JT they do look good, also you get the large size capability, you can always bond two bits of roll together to make a big bag, say for a leg of pork, as long as the last edge to seal can fit withjin the length of your sealer you are good to go.

Ive got a coleman coolbox and drilled a hole in the lid recess for a fizzy drink can just big enough for the Anova, very little water / heat loss. ways and means lol

Return to “Vacuum Sealers”