• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

August's Curry Club Curry of the Month is steveparadox's Pathia (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Never judge a book by it’s cover.

General chat about British Indian Restaurant curries

ONLY FOR TOPICS THAT DON'T FIT ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM. TOPICS THAT FIT ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM SHOULD BE POSTED ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM
Forum rules
Nothing to be posted in this section of the forum unless it CLEARLY does not fit elsewhere on the forum.
g_h
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Never judge a book by it’s cover.

Post by g_h » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:22 pm

I was in Glasgow this weekend & have learned to never judge a book by it’s cover. I didn’t want to go too far from the train station, so nipped into a kebab shop for some chicken Pakora. The place looked like a run down old cafe, so i didn’t really have any expectations other than to curb my hunger until i got home. How wrong was i, this was the BEST chicken pakora i’ve ever had. It was long strips, bright red & the batter was crispy & puffy. I can’t wait until i’m back near there again to see if they’ll share their recipe. I might even make the trip, just to try it again.

Has anyone else ever been taken by surprise, by such good food from a small takeaway that you’d usually just walk past in the search for something a bit more pleasing to the eye?

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Re: Never judge a book by it’s cover.

Post by Cory Ander » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:03 am

I've regularly frequented many "suss" Indian restaurants and takeaways (i.e. with respect to heath, hygiene and aesthetics wise). Whilst they may leave a lot to be desired, they often produce the tastiest curries (at an affordable price). Any else have a view?
Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

andrw
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo, Ceylon, Naga

Post by andrw » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 am

I have had a very similar experience to you gh, after a long evening in a pub I was starving, fancied a curry and stumbled across a very dubious looking Indian takeaway. Usually I would have kept walking but due to my usual caution being hindered by hunger and alcohol intoxication I decided to enter where I found the interior to be even more dubious (very run down decoration and a 2 seat sofa next to the till that looked like it was found at a dump). I proceeded to order a chicken vindaloo with pilau rice and a keema naan. Upon arriving home I opened the containers and was shocked at how good the food looked and smelt (I wasn't expecting much). Not only that but the food was delicious! I have ordered a curry from there at least once a month since then (this event took place around 7 years ago) and the food is still delicious (and the takeaway is still aesthetically challenged and still have that same sofa!).

pauly
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by pauly » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 pm

I was in England last, nearly six years ago & my brother took us to a little TA near to his house. Steamed up front window, tatty looking little place, I wasn't hopeful. The food was prepared quickly, for four of us & it was all superb. From a Vindaloo, Dhansak, Madras, Pilau Rice, Onion Bhaji, Naan, a good cross section & it was very nice.

It's all down to quality of the chef I imagine.

ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken, Tandoori Lamb Tikka, Veggie

Post by ScotchBonnet » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:04 am

Were you at Queen Street Station and are you referring to "Best Kebab" in Dundas Street? A very diverse street, that - you can eat a variety of food, cater for all your outdoor adventure needs. get a shave, have a tattoo, have a party in an upstairs function suite, catch up on the latest (and not-so-latest) music and visit the dentist, all within about 100m of each other. Glasgow-style long chicken pakora are yummy - the batter is more chip-shop than BIR - crisp, and detached from the meat which has basically steam-cooked inside. Despite the dated signage that place always looks clean inside and out.

Google Maps link

I'm in town tomorrow night and although I already have dinner arrangements I'm wondering if I can sneak in a quick pakora or kebab, now that you mention it.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".

Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken

Post by Greybeard » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:49 am

One of best ones I ever came across was a really old fashioned little cafe / Chinese restaurant between Leicester square and Chinatown in London. 1950's decor, with battered old Formica tables and peeling lino on the floor. If you think of a cross between a greasy spoon and a Chinese restaurant you'll get the idea. Had one of the best meals I have ever had at a fraction of normal London prices.

It was after a serious night out on the town, if my memory serves me right while it was still open at 4am so it is not surprising I can't remember the exact location. No ill effects whatsoever.

The other one was a really scabby Algerian restaurant in Montrouge, Paris. The mixed meat platter with vegetables, couscous and harissa was food you would ask for on your deathbed as it tasted so good. The clientele and the area it was in was truly rough, you would generally walk past it (and certainly not think of taking your wife or girlfriend in there), I only found out about it from a work colleague. Sadly, last time I went back to eat at the place it had been firebombed by the French National Front.

Was never fortunate enough to come across a similar Indian restaurant on my travels.

Those were the days. Too old for that sort of caper now :whistle:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

One Keema Naan
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Naga Masala

Post by One Keema Naan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Greybeard wrote: The other one was a really scabby Algerian restaurant in Montrouge, Paris.
Funny, when I saw this thread I immediately thought of an Algerian 'greasy spoon' in Cherbourg. Found it one Sunday morning while waiting for a ferry, purely by virtue of it being the only place obviously open and serving. Dingy, playing a jazz radio soundtrack and very, very busy but also serving the most amazing cous cous royale you can imagine.

Can also think of a place in Rome which looked like a take-away with a couple of tables but turned out to have a massive subterranean restaurant, very reasonably priced too.

On the Indian food front, the most surprising one I can recall was twenty odd years ago on the Isle of Man, restaurant like sitting in your granny's front room, but brilliant food.

Return to “General Curry CHAT (Guests Welcome to Browse)”