• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a member to access certain parts of the forum and will need to make 3 meaningful posts before you can access the recipe sections - REGISTRATION is FREE!

Your contributions are important to us - please help us grow the forum by actively participating - irrespective of your level of expertise!

Please note that your account may be downgraded to Inactive Member if you do not continue to participate and post and you will no longer be able to access the recipe sections (please see Policy for Managing Inactive Members for further information).

Alternatively, you may like to consider the Donating Member Option, if it suits your circumstances better:

October's Curry Club Curry of the Month is adeypayne's Shatkora (open to all members & guests):

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Bad guts

General chat about British Indian Restaurant curries

ONLY FOR TOPICS THAT DON'T FIT ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM. TOPICS THAT FIT ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM SHOULD BE POSTED ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM
Forum rules
Nothing to be posted in this section of the forum unless it CLEARLY does not fit elsewhere on the forum.
jezbot
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Bad guts

Post by jezbot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 am

For years it's been a widely accepted running joke that the day after eating a curry, the diner will spend some uncomfortable moments sitting on the throne attempting to deposit the remnants of last nights dinner. :cry::
Now something struck me the other day in regard to this phenomenon which i haven't yet seen discussed on the forum and am intrigued by.
The general consensus of opinion used to be that the hotter the curry, the worse the burn. However, since I've been making curries at home using the BIR method, I've not have any issues the next day at all. In fact i could have been eating any non spicy food and the results would have been the same.
Which brings me to the point in question. What the hell was in those curries for all those years, which made me feel like i'd been eating napalm stew? :nuke:
it clearly wasn't the chilli's or chilli powder, as I use tons at home, so was it the cooking technique, or could it have been wayward unwanted bacteria floating about?

Apologies for the subject matter, but it's an integral part of the traditional experience imho, and it's not that i miss those 15 minutes sweating and shaking in the morning, but I am intrigued as to what explanation can be offered as to the lack of this effect when cooking at home.

Rusty
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo

Re: Bad guts

Post by Rusty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am

Simple I am now eating 3 times more curries I think my body handles hot chillies better :lol::

Cheers Rusty
The best day of the week to prepare onions for a base gravy is a Fryday 8-)

British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras

Post by British Indian » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 am

Back in the bad old days, it could have been the rice that caused the morning after effect. I'm pretty sure rice wasn't handled as cautiously as it is nowadays. We ran pubs in U.K. In early- mid 90's. we had to attend a compulsory food safety course, and most of the people on the course were surprised that rice needed to be treated carefully to avoid food poisoning

ScotchBonnet
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken, Tandoori Lamb Tikka, Veggie

Post by ScotchBonnet » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:35 pm

I think rusty is right - most of it is down to frequency of consumption of spicy food.
"There is no such thing as too much oil; just an insufficiency of naan".

Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken

Post by Greybeard » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:53 pm

I would agree with all of the above plus another variable - how well the spices are cooked. Especially in the hotter curries (Vindaloo, Phaal etc.) the sheer quantity of spices sometimes means they are not cooked out properly. That will truly irritate your guts. It is an interesting point of debate, manufacturers are starting to put "Do not consume raw" on some spices now, some say it is due to the irritant effect and others because of possible bacteria contamination. I've always understood it to be the former, and certainly my Asian friends have always stressed that point. This applies particularly to chilli powder.

There is another non-BIR variable as well - alcohol. :whistle: If spices can be released in oil, goodness knows what a 10 year old malt and a few pints of lager are going to do ...
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Dragonsfire
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo

Post by Dragonsfire » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Rice can be notorious for bacteria if its old, bad oil can have a realy bad effect on the digestive system too. Peppers have a huge nutritional value in the system. Its more the quality of the ingredients a think.

jezbot
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by jezbot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Some interesting points guys, all of which definitely have merit.
Certainly for me the regularity of eating chilli isn't an issue as i've always loved spicy food 3 or 4 times a week.

Also I still get the issue the day after eating out at certain restaurants/TA's and i rarely order rice. it's always curry and 3 chapati.
It generally manifests itself as a real stinging sensation too, which always lead me to believe that chilli powder was responsible in some capacity.
I'm inclined to think Greybeard is somewhat on point and the cooking out of spices is particularly important.
Occasionally i've ordered in a hurry or expressed that we re late for an appointment or event and the restaurant has sped up the service, which has resulted in digestive pain and stomach ache, followed by bad guts the next day...

I'm inclined to put it down to chilli powder and/or spices at this point. :nuke:

elaDmaharG
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Chicken Jaflong

Post by elaDmaharG » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:22 am

hahaha a very interesting subject in a matter very close to my heart, or should I say bowels!! :lol::

cartz64
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: jalfrezi vindaloo bhuna gosht

Post by cartz64 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm

You would obviously side with the chili being the culprit but i'm not sure.
But if it feels like you are trying to get rid of a red hot piece of charcoal what else could it be? :blush:

macferret
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by macferret » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Interesting question. Bad rice results in violent vomiting about an hour after the meal - rapid and unmistakeable.
If it's just an unplanned opportunity to catch up on reading those the magazines in the bathroom the next morning, I tend to agree that lack of practice at eating chilli is a likely cause. But onions, dahl, spices and - let's be honest, those pints of Cobra - all contribute to healthy and regular...erm...
BIRBMs.
If I publish an e-book, please kill me.

cartz64
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: jalfrezi vindaloo bhuna gosht

Post by cartz64 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:33 pm

If i get that horrible bloated feeling...it's usually a shop bought 'Indian take away' or Chinese (probably the MSG)

Homemade curry is usually no problem as long as it's not followed by ten pints of grot! :unsure:

Mrkeeny
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Mrkeeny » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:04 am

My favourite curry house got closed down due to a roach infestation, felt sick thinking about it. :sick:

Cory Ander
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal

Post by Cory Ander » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:14 am

I think a lack of hygiene (including good food-handling practices) is pretty common (and particularly so in years gone by).
Regards

CA (aka Admin) :)

jezbot
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by jezbot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Just been considering this post again recently and my original thoughts are the same.
Still can’t work it out.
How come I never get this with my own food at home?
Anyone...

British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras

Post by British Indian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:59 pm

I can’t answer that jez. If I cook. Few currthat are a little on the hot side for my liking, I definitely do get the ring of fire effect

Return to “General Curry CHAT (Guests Welcome to Browse)”