How old were you when you had your first Curry

General chat about British Indian Restaurant curries

ONLY FOR TOPICS THAT DON'T FIT ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM. TOPICS THAT FIT ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM SHOULD BE POSTED ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM
Forum rules
Nothing to be posted in this section of the forum unless it CLEARLY does not fit elsewhere on the forum.

Re: How old were you when you had your first Curry

Postby Fred Thompson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 pm

I remember it like yesterday,
I was 15 (1964) and had just got my first pay £3 something .I had prawn on puree to start and chicken madras, you took a chance on the chicken you got as breast cost extra.the restaurants in our town are Bangladeshi and at that time a world away from today's restaurant curries.
Fred Thompson
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby Marktheshark » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Wow 1964, nice one Fred, same year I was born, good on you mate, £3 for your first pay, remember mine was £28-£30, the good old days eh fella.
Mark
Marktheshark
SERRANO
SERRANO

Favourite Curries: Keema bhuna, vindaloo, Madras

Postby curry al » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:59 pm

early teen's had a mild curry. 8-)
curry al
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby Ssb » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Mine was a vesta curry as a kid, felt very exotic
Ssb
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby Toni » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:04 pm

When I was a child, my family used to order take-out Chinese food a couple times per year from a local take-out-only place in North Vancouver, called The Orange Door. In an attempt to expand our food experience, my eldest brother (who's 12 years older than me, and who seemed so "worldly" to me at the time) added a mystery dish to the family's order: Chicken Curry.

I remember removing the lid from the aluminum container and starting to cry. It was so yellow. It smelled so awful. I was so upset. That was curry, and it was awful. It's so embarrassing to admit that now.

About 5 or 6 few years later, an Indian family moved in next door. Betty, the mum, seemed to cook from morning to night, and the aromas coming from the house started to appeal to me. Occasionally she brought over chapatis and some sort of cauliflower dish, which my family devoured. It was yellow, but not freakishly so -- not like the scary chicken dish from the Orange Door.... She also brought over samosas and pakoras. Always a big hit!

Then I became a vegan when I was 19, and there weren't a lot of options, if I wanted to eat out. I began trying Indian restaurants when I was about 20, and these have been my go-to option ever since. Years later, I found out that the family next door were Hindu, but that Betty was the only strict vegetarian in the family.
Toni
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby Adam-r84 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:28 pm

When I was growing up we never had takeaways. On rare occasions my mam and dad would get a chop suey or chow mein and they gave me and my brother and sister some and it was like nothing we had ever tasted, it was so good but it wasnt curry.

I think I must have been about 17 when I had my first proper curry from a takeaway and I went straight to the vindaloo because I liked hot spicy food with a nice chili burn. I used to go to my friends house for a few cans (8) lol we always used to get chinese but I had been craving a proper curry for ages so one night I went to the Indian takeaway on the way home and I loved it but my god was it hot but from that moment I was hooked for life. I had curries before my first visit to the Indian takeaway but they weren't BIR.

After a few visits to the takeaway, I asked what was the hottest curry they did and they said, its not on the menu but we will cook a phal for you and it blew my head off but I was persistent and I started really enjoying them. These days I usually only go as far as a vindaloo because I like the heat from the chili but I also appreciate the flavours that are going on which arent really noticable when the curry is too hot. Now Im more of a flavour lover than a heat lover but I still prefer hot curries with lots of flavour.

I have my second child to thank for how nice my curries are today and my journey into BIR because when my partner was pregnant With our second child I gave her a try of my vindaloo and she said it was horrible but the pregnancy hormones must have disagreed because the next week she wanted to get a curry with me so I made the most of it for the rest of her pregnancy by getting a curry every week and now she is more hooked than me, result.

I wouldnt have started on my BIR journey if I was only cooking for my self so my second child causing curry cravings when for the 10 years previous my partner wouldnt touch indian food has saved my life and possibly our relationship lol.
Adam-r84 1-0 Curry Hell. Certificate to prove it
Adam-r84
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Postby David Fowler » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:57 am

About 8 or 9. A Vesta curry out of a packet though! This took me to the Dark Side where I've been ever since! :cool2:
David Fowler
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Postby Dragonsfire » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Curry goulash rice & raisins was common that we ate and the first memories was in England and before I was five.
Dragonsfire
SERRANO
SERRANO

Favourite Curries: Vindaloo

Postby Rosco77126 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

Back in the 80's my brother was lucky enough to go to the Seychelles, he brought lots of spices back with him and my mum used to experiment with them, sadly she was very fond of raisins in her curries and I used to pick them all out, very tasty in those days though.
Rosco77126
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby Seabass » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Remember those vesta curry mixes although they always look twice as much from a packet on tv :D My first proper curry was around 1968 when I went into the local Indian restaurant in our village called Tasste of India. I remember the menu somewhat limited with things like "Meat or Chicken curry" with Chips or Rice. Prices were around 80p back then for a basic curry from memory :shock: One of our group ordered a vindaloo and she regretted it next day :lol:: I was probably addicted to spicy food by the time I married hubby at the age of 23 and to this day still cannot get it right but it's not for want of trying hence joining this fab website.

SB X
Seabass
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby viafax999 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Think it was around 1953 in Caernarfon N. Wales. My mother had an exchange student from Ceylon who introduced us to poppadoms and basic curry made out of mince and the few spices she could rustle up in austere times.
viafax999
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Jalfrezi

Postby soli98 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 am

Was around 11 years old, my neighbour/school friend owned a curry house..we used to hang out there in the late 80's after school
soli98
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Previous

Return to General Curry CHAT (Guests Welcome to Browse)