How old were you when you had your first Curry

General chat about British Indian Restaurant curries

ONLY FOR TOPICS THAT DON'T FIT ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM. TOPICS THAT FIT ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM SHOULD BE POSTED ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM
Forum rules
Nothing to be posted in this section of the forum unless it CLEARLY does not fit elsewhere on the forum.

Re: How old were you when you had your first Curry

Postby andycullz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:14 pm

I was a late starter I was 20. 1995. I was visiting a friend who was at Uni in Manchester not far from Rusholme. It was like, "Andy you've got to come to Rusholme for a Curry." (Me) "Nope I don't like curry" I was too set in my ways back then. Like my parents. But he persuaded me to go and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've even managed to get my dad to eat curry. He likes it as well now.
andycullz
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Postby ebowlotus1960 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:11 pm

Probably about 3 or 4, my grand-aunt made a wonderful, mild, fruity curry with raisins from a recipe that she got from an Indian colleague when she nursed in London in the 60's. Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago so I never got the recipe.

My first BIR was at 12, I went to visit my uncle in London and ended up in a place called the Balti House in Rayner's Lane. The mild nearly blew my head off and started both my obsession with curries and hot things. Several years of patak's curries followed until an Indian opened in my home town when I was about 18. I was legendary as the only person who ever ordered a dish called doba mirchi, basically just curried chilli's. I had to eat a raw one in front of the chef to prove I could handle it!
ebowlotus1960
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Favourite Curries: Bhuna, biryani

Postby Alchemist » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:26 pm

In terms of BIR Curries I think I was probably about 17 on a works night out. It was from a takeaway post drinks but I remember is clearly, lots and lots of sauce with a chapatti. Not brilliant, but something about it sparked my interest. I didn't become obsessed until many years later though!
Alchemist
R.I.P.
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Postby Ruby Murray » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:30 pm

I was about 22 and I didn't have a clue what to order .. I just asked for a beef curry , like I did at my Chinese , it wasnt a pleasant experience , I didn't realise it would be meat balls and the overall meal was rubbish .It put me off for a good couple of years until I went with a couple of season pros , I had a Rogan Josh and it was delightful , never looked back and have become a bit of an addict .
Ruby Murray

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting "
Steve McQeen
Ruby Murray
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Postby Chris P Bacon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Apparently when I was around 4 years old, though I don't remember it. My first proper curry with a bit of heat was probably around 12 and I've been eating it ever since, the Dhansak. It's unbelievable to think that I have been eating this same dish near enough every week for all these years. Just can't beat it!
Chris P Bacon
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Dhansak

Postby SteveDrome » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:49 am

Aged 19, Torquay, Devon. opposite where the nightclub called Vergines used to be - circa 1986. I am sure it was Eastern something but cant remember now. It was one guy on his own and all of the dishes were amazing. It was my initiation and have been in love ever since :love:
SteveDrome
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken

Postby BurntOfferings » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:29 am

Really showing my age here but my Grandfather served with British Raj in India! When he came home the whole curry thing came with him. I remember eating this greeny/yellow stuff with sultanas and meat left over from Sunday dinner. I suppose I would have been about 4-5 years old. However it would have been my mid 20's when the addiction started with the opening of many Balti Houses along Ladypool Rd Birmingham in the mid 70's I think.
BurntOfferings
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Favourite Curries: Jalfrezi, Pathia & Madras

Postby bobsbeer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:35 am

Not sure about Indian curry, but if you count curry from any nation, I would have been about 3 or 4 when we lived in Burma, (now Myanmar), but I may have been younger, but certainly less than 6 as we were thrown out in 1962 or 1963, when the military threw all westerners out. My dad was working for an oil company at the time, so lived in lots of places. I recall going to some sort of festival on the back of a cart being pulled by probably a buffalo and eating a spicy meal with my hands. I think I enjoyed eating with my hands more than the curry, but the experience has stayed with me, although I tend to eat curry with a fork these days. :smart: I was born in India, but have no memory of that time as I was two when we moved to Burma, so the first Indian meal if you can call it that, would have been a BIR in Exeter aged about 18. I have always loved curry and it has continued to this day. There is something about the spices, the heat, the depth that is very appealing and a joy to eat.

I remember when in the police during the miners strike going to an RAF base for a meal. They offered an egg curry, and it was divine. I have tried to make it again, but never matched it.
Bob

Everyone has to believe in something....I believe I'll have another Pappadum!
bobsbeer
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Postby gold1172 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:06 pm

I think I was drinking curry sauce before I had baby milk LOL.
As far back as I can remember I've had curries.
I have pictures of myself at 2 years old in the Punjab eating roti and curry.
gold1172
CAPSICUM
CAPSICUM

Postby mj2k » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:10 pm

The first I can remember was around my 7th birthday, a restaurant my father loved where we live in Kent.

Will always remember it was called a Sally Chicken lol, and I can recall about the dish was that it was served with 'chip sticks' salted crisps on top. Obviously not authentic, but served the exact purpose of getting me to like a curry. Part of me now really enjoys the ability to love curry through cooking for my father...his when I was growing up were more of his concoctions vs a BIR, and tasted pretty bad & watery.

Matt
mj2k
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby Philb52 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:42 pm

I was five years old when i had my first curry......1957.....and i have been eating them constantly since. Sixty years next March. After school i used to go round different classmates houses for tea and vice versa. I remember when i went round an Indian mates house for tea and his mum had made us a mild curry and from that day i was hooked..i was lucky to live in Coventry which was very multi cultural way back. I had indian cook books bought for me, borrowed them from the Library also. All i really ever wanted to eat was Curry . Ive been with my wife for ten years now and her first curry was the Vestas mentioned above. She has a Hiatus Hernia and a diet of curries are easy to digest. When she has English food she has problems and suffers.
Philb52
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby fastlinelee » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:31 pm

I was 18 and it was a work thing I had to go on, I was dreading it being a really fussy eater, corma was first and I loved it, now more into madras
fastlinelee
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby Greybeard » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:42 pm

I was 15. Mum bought a frozen boil in the bag Birds Eye curry. Can't remember if was beef or chicken, but if my taste bud memory is correct, the sauce was more like a Chinese curry than Indian.

My first real homestlyle curry was cooked by a schoolfriend's mum. They were from South Africa, and it was a genuine beef curry, cooked with curry powder. Totally unlike the Birds Eye one, but superb nonetheless for the time. And then there was the Vesta curries (which I have got to admit I still enjoy, if just for sentimentality sake - I doubt if there is actually any food value in there).

After that, it was onto the proper hard stuff at the local Indian after a few jars.

Ah, those were the days ...
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE

Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken

Postby TiptonNick » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:20 pm

A late starter - 24.

An ex took me to a place called The Panahar in Wolverhampton - now a car park - and I had a Rogan Josh. I fell head over heels in love that night (and not with my ex!).
TiptonNick
SERRANO
SERRANO

Favourite Curries: Chicken Tikka Bhuna

Postby tyrone1wils » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:11 pm

I was in my early teens, parents would get a curry every couple of weeks and I think I started with something tame like a tikka masala
tyrone1wils
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Postby SteveDrome » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:41 am

My whole familly used to complain about my spicy curries when they were growing up - now they are all adicted. Start em young. :cool2:
SteveDrome
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Favourite Curries: Garlic Chilli Chicken

Postby Marktheshark » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:58 am

Your evil plan has worked steve, now you are the master!!! :wolverine:
Marktheshark
SERRANO
SERRANO

Favourite Curries: Keema bhuna, vindaloo, Madras

Postby Marktheshark » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:28 am

First propa B I R curry would have been roughly around 1979_80, beef curry vindaloo, after a sniff of the bar maids apron, with the lads, were from bradford west Yorkshire so naturally it was a right of passage, it blew all our heads off and I remember, we couldn't actually speak it was that hot to our young pallets, great days, now with the help of this forum and you good people, I can make currys as near as I can to the original all those years ago, btw the curry house was I think called The La Luna, happy days !!!
Mark
Marktheshark
SERRANO
SERRANO

Favourite Curries: Keema bhuna, vindaloo, Madras

Postby mickyp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 am

about 16, i can remember, asking what a poppadom was, from memory curries at home were made from leftovers with curry powder raisins and pineapple added, that as it.
by 20 i was hooked on BIR
mickyp
SERRANO
SERRANO

Favourite Curries: Madras, Pathia, Ceylon,

Postby mickyp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:16 am

I remember being in my local curry house and some lads came in "Got a menu Abdul" they had a hot one :)
mickyp
SERRANO
SERRANO

Favourite Curries: Madras, Pathia, Ceylon,

PreviousNext

Return to General Curry CHAT (Guests Welcome to Browse)