• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Dried Methi turning black

Larnie
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo, Chicken Chilli Hot.
Wales

Dried Methi turning black

Post by Larnie »

Hi, when I add the dried methi to my curries it turns black. It’s only happened to the last few curries i’ve made, it does’nt affect the taste. Has anyone had the same happen.

Regards.
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Re: Dried Methi turning black

Post by pauly »

When are you adding it Larnie ? Strange it should start happening though, have you changed something in the last few curries you've made ?

I add mine after the first ladle of base gravy, it certainly ends up darker but I wouldn't say black.

If nothing tastes obviously burnt, then I wouldn't be too worried.
Larnie
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Wales

Post by Larnie »

Hi, I make the same recipe every time, I will try adding it later as you suggested.
Thanks.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Dried methi goes very dark when "overcooked", especially when initially added to very hot oil. For that reason, I tend now to add it much later in the fry (e.g. after the tomato puree or first ladle of base or even at the end), purely for appearance reasons. No matter the colour, it seems to taste fine , but for a more powerful flavour you should add it towards the end as recommended on the packet. The same applies to fresh coriander leaves, they can go very dark and loose flavour as well.

I'm guessing here, it might be the acidy of the tomatoes that is also affecting it as my bases have loads of tomato. Saying that, green cardamon turns white in hot oil so it could be the fry itself.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

As others have said, add it later in the cooking process (perhaps with the first addition of curry base). If you add it earlier (e.g. when frying the garlic/ginger paste and/or spices) it will, unsurprisingly, burn and, therefore, turn black.
CA (aka Admin) :)
Sigma
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
England

Post by Sigma »

I turn mine to dust in the spice grinder. You don't notice it then.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Probably still burning, though, if you add it early in the process? :hmmm:
CA (aka Admin) :)
Sigma
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
England

Post by Sigma »

I've just fried a few teaspoons of methi in some very hot oil for several minutes. I could make it go brown but not black. So I did some more except this time added some dilute tomato paste to see if there was a reaction (as per GB's theory) or just an apparent contrast but that didn't make it go or appear black either. Nothing conclusive but from what I can tell I'm not sure it is going black through high heat or burning. I've heard of this before but never seen it myself. It's one of those anomalies. If it tastes fine but you are put off by the look of it, grind it.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee
Larnie
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Wales

Post by Larnie »

Hi, thanks to everyone for the input.
Larnie
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Wales

Post by Larnie »

I used Methi a few years ago and it said on the box to soak the Methi in water to rinse it before using. Anyone done this.
Thanks.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

I'm curious Larnie, what brand did you use? MDH instructions on the box says just to add to the final dish after "mashing". They do say that it is hygienic, so I assume here that it has been pre-washed.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Larnie
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Wales

Post by Larnie »

Hi, can’t remember the brand but it was in a smaller box then the brand I buy now. As it happens i’ve Just added some to some fried onions, straight from the box and they have turned black. My favourite curry is a Vindaloo and while the black methi does not affect the taste , it does’nt look good compared to my local takeaway, I.e nice smooth gravy.
Regards , Larnie
Larnie
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
Wales

Post by Larnie »

Hi,
Methi still turning black even when adding it later in the cooking, I have now grounded a few teaspoons in a mortar and pestle to a powder and will be using this in my next curry.