• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

To soak or not to soak

Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

To soak or not to soak

Post by Greybeard »

Come across a few recipes online where people soak dried methi in hot water before adding to curries along with the resulting liquor. On my MDH packet it suggests to sprinkle on the final dish prior to serving, supporting my theory that methi can turn bitter if fried too harshly in very hot oil.

Someone suggested this could be to disinfect the methi as it is sometimes grown in quite unclean conditions.

I haven't tried this method yet, has anyone used methi this way and does it make a difference to the curry or is it just extra work? I'm quite happy with the results when adding it dry towards the end, but I'm curious.
Last edited by Greybeard on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
rdu
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Dhansak, Pistanda, Kashmir, Korma, Dopiaza
Netherlands

Re: To soak or not to soak

Post by rdu »

Interesting subject. I always used it dried.
Curious what the outcome would be :hmmm: .
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

In all the vids I've seen, all BIR's add them dry at varying stages, never seen them go in at the end though.
Greybeard
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Dopiaza, Kashmiri, Madras or Garlic chicken
Scotland

Post by Greybeard »

Interesting point Pauly, most BIR videos as you say add it early on or half way through. A few of the "traditional home style" Indian curry commentators seem to have a different take, many use fresh methi in abundance, almost like coriander. Came a across a new discovery - Methi Dhal (made with fresh rather than dried methi) - it should be possible to recreate this with dried.

I've attached the package details for those that are interested, TBH MDH methi is the best I have come across to date. Some of the other stuff doesn't seem anywhere near the same quality or taste.
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Post by British Indian »

I'm pretty certain Pat Chapman used to suggest soaking the methi in hot water and adding to the curry at the end.

Raj was bemused to see me adding it at the spice frying stage, he said in traditional Indian cookery, it would always be added at the end, and crumbled in.
king prawn
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by king prawn »

You can add to hot oil a few seconds before quenching with gravy or tom puree. But if you like methi flavour then adding at the end is the way to go. Even sprinkle on the finished dish and allow to sit in a warm place for up to 5 mins so the steam from the dish softens the dried leaves a little (if you want).

KP
haldi
SERRANO
SERRANO
Favourite Curries: Phaal
Ireland

Post by haldi »

I have been in quite a few takeaway kitchens

and have never seen anywhere soaking methi

It couldn't do any harm , but I can't see the point
it gets wet anyhow